refinishing rails

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any restorers here? Whats the best method of refinishing Diamond Pro wood rails. They are the older style 9ft pro tables and the finish has all but worn off from being in a popular pool hall.

Thanks

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
misterpoole said:
Any restorers here? Whats the best method of refinishing Diamond Pro wood rails. They are the older style 9ft pro tables and the finish has all but worn off from being in a popular pool hall.

Thanks
Send the rails back to Diamond, they'll refinish them for you;)

Glen

Call Brian to set it up, 812-288-7665

tsp&b

Silver Member
Lots of work!

If you want to try it yourself. Start with removing all the current finish. Then clean, finish sand and seal with sanding sealer. And finally clear coat with professional Automotive clear topcoat. The first coat is a very light (dry) coat. Then wet sand, let dry and apply a second coat. Watch for "Fish Eyes" or "Orange Peel" effect. If you get any then you have to wet sand again and repeat. It is not easy but with the right equipment, patience and work you may able to do it. Or just do what Glen suggested!:D

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fish Eyes

tsp&b said:
If you want to try it yourself. Start with removing all the current finish. Then clean, finish sand and seal with sanding sealer. And finally clear coat with professional Automotive clear topcoat. The first coat is a very light (dry) coat. Then wet sand, let dry and apply a second coat. Watch for "Fish Eyes" or "Orange Peel" effect. If you get any then you have to wet sand again and repeat. It is not easy but with the right equipment, patience and work you may able to do it. Or just do what Glen suggested!:D
What causes orange peel or fisheyes and what is the best way to prevent it. I get it from time to time refinishing cues and it's annoying.

TheTablePro

Silver Member
CamposCues said:
What causes orange peel or fisheyes and what is the best way to prevent it. I get it from time to time refinishing cues and it's annoying.

Not sure the exact cause but your natural hand oils, grease, etc can have the fish eye/orange peel affect. Sherwin Williams sells an additive that only requires a few drops per quart added to your finish which does an incredible job to eliminate it. Chat with a sales person there and I'm sure they can direct you. It comes in about a 8-12 oz. white, oval bottle.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stuff

TheTablePro said:
Not sure the exact cause but your natural hand oils, grease, etc can have the fish eye/orange peel affect. Sherwin Williams sells an additive that only requires a few drops per quart added to your finish which does an incredible job to eliminate it. Chat with a sales person there and I'm sure they can direct you. It comes in about a 8-12 oz. white, oval bottle.
I'm going to look into that for sure. Those dange fisheyes are a show stopper.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
CamposCues said:
I'm going to look into that for sure. Those dange fisheyes are a show stopper.

I don't do any refinishing myself, I send it out to a local furniture repair shop.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tables

sdbilliards said:
I don't do any refinishing myself, I send it out to a local furniture repair shop.
I've only done a couple tables and they went pretty good. I do more cues though and still get the fish eye thing once in a while. Matter of fact I just had it happen Monday on a cue.

tsp&b

Silver Member
Something Fishy

As I understand it "Fish Eye" or "Orange Peel" is caused by contamination on the surface, but I believe it can also be agravated by viscosity and/or temperature problems with the clear or whatever material you are applying . It can come from any number of things, oil, grease, glue or silicone on your hands is one but it can be natural oil in the wood itself as well. Sealing the surface (with a sanding sealer, epoxy or super glue) and cleaning with prepsol or a good quality tack cloth will help and adding a leveling agent to the clearcoat as previously mentioned will also help. I like to apply several very light coats and wet sand between each coat. Spray a test piece first.:)

Or just do what Glen Said! :)

Last edited: