John Makes it Look so Easy

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
I watched Schmidt's 245 run a couple of years back, but that was before I started my straight pool league a year ago, so I didn't really understand his comments too much back then.

Now that I play straight pool more often, I wanted to re-watch his video, which I did on Wed night. Then last night I watched his 164 run that he commentates WHILE he is shooting.

He makes it look so easy! :angry: He runs rack after rack after rack.

I feel like I just pot balls around the table and can't to get too far (my highest run is only 28 - altho I admit I'm pretty proud of it).

I love these two tapes though - his thought process is very helpful! WOW!

I can say that the 164 video is invaluable if you haven't watched it. I don't recall him talking about the last three balls (triangle) so much in the 245 run, and in this video he explains SO much about little important things: getting balls off the rail, getting them off the rail before a second break, hardly moving the cueball, etc. I also noticed he hardly shot any balls up table to the top corner pockets. He didn't say why, but even if a ball could go into the top corner pockets, he still wouldn't shoot them. He always had a plan for them later.

I can't wait to play my next straight pool match after seeing the 164 vid!!

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
He makes it look VERY easy.

I have his AccuStats 112 ball run player review - and yes, he makes it look very easy. And he plays the game the "classic" way.

I have the pleasure of knowing Dave Daya personally - in fact I had dinner with him the other night - and we were talking about the match he had with John at the SBE. He says that John is not only a super player, but a super guy as well. He also told me that in hindsight he probably should have played a safety instead of going for that combination, but he decided to go for it because he felt he could make it and he was only 20-something and out at that point. He had John in the chair and wanted to keep him there. He knew he was in trouble if John got back to the table and sure enough, John ran out off that miss. All in all he said it was a great match and my only regret was that I couldn't make it down to see it. I've only seen John shoot in person once, but that was 10-ball. I would love to see him play 14.1 in person.

Also, Dave told me just how tough those tables really were playing and that running 204 on one of those tables is a feat.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
I agree, its seems like it doesnt even get challenging for him until he has ran at least a 100. I need some lessons from this guy!!!

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

I watched Schmidt's 245 run a couple of years back, but that was before I started my straight pool league a year ago, so I didn't really understand his comments too much back then.

Now that I play straight pool more often, I wanted to re-watch his video, which I did on Wed night. Then last night I watched his 164 run that he commentates WHILE he is shooting.

I feel like I just pot balls around the table and can't to get too far (my highest run is only 28 - altho I admit I'm pretty proud of it).

I can say that the 164 video is invaluable if you haven't watched it. I don't recall him talking about the last three balls (triangle) so much in the 245 run, and in this video he explains SO much about little important things: getting balls off the rail, getting them off the rail before a second break, hardly moving the cueball, etc. I also noticed he hardly shot any balls up table to the top corner pockets. He didn't say why, but even if a ball could go into the top corner pockets, he still wouldn't shoot them. He always had a plan for them later.

thanks trig for the nice words. believe me the game is hard for me too and i still get a kick out of running 100 or more.

im just like you guys the game challenges me and is fun .

gascoigne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John, your comments are so comforting but you still are really reallly clinical at 14.1....love your gameplay...your fan from Singapore

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Tap Tap Tap,

already wrote this in another thread (dunno where it was)
The things John is telling their are so right- this vid with his unbelievable knowledge about this game (and he s still a young-gun *kiddin*) reminds me every time to the Video of Jim Rempe- *The King* was much further with his straight-pool than any other in my opinion. Schmidty is a hell of a shooter.....and together with his love to straight pool...ouch^^.
Just watch Schmidt, HOhmann and Rempe/Sigel Videos- you won t need anything else, knowledge and technical abilities pure.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Tap Tap Tap,

already wrote this in another thread (dunno where it was)
The things John is telling their are so right- this vid with his unbelievable knowledge about this game (and he s still a young-gun *kiddin*) reminds me every time to the Video of Jim Rempe- *The King* was much further with his straight-pool than any other in my opinion. Schmidty is a hell of a shooter.....and together with his love to straight pool...ouch^^.
Just watch Schmidt, HOhmann and Rempe/Sigel Videos- you won t need anything else, knowledge and technical abilities pure.

I can't wait to see the dvd of John's 171 ball run with his commentary. I know he knows a lot. Apparently, during the commentary, Mark Wilson was shocked by the depth of John's 14.1 knowledge.

I have heard it before in person and on some of his runs but I can't wait to see it on the video where there is a little interplay with another knowledgeable straight pool aficionado like Mark Wilson.

And... there is a rumor that soon John may be doing some commentary with a different aficionado on his recent Diamond table runs of 239 and 294 and releasing those.

Carl Hungness

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmidt is Great, But

John Schmidt is one of the modern day best straight pool players, but for those of us who have seen Siegal, Mosconi, Crane, Moore, Balsis, Mizerak, etc. we long for more of his caliber. Back in the day when Straight Pool was the game, the whole mood was different. Now, Charlie Williams has to stretch himself to the limit just to try and put on a decent straight pool tournament.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I can't wait to see the dvd of John's 171 ball run with his commentary. I know he knows a lot. Apparently, during the commentary, Mark Wilson was shocked by the depth of John's 14.1 knowledge.

I have heard it before in person and on some of his runs but I can't wait to see it on the video where there is a little interplay with another knowledgeable straight pool aficionado like Mark Wilson.

And... there is a rumor that soon John may be doing some commentary with a different aficionado on his recent Diamond table runs of 239 and 294 and releasing those.

Dennis ,
Im waiting for some 14.1 DVD s- can t wait til i get them. Too much to get it all at once (would be broke then, rofl) ..but the next 15 are in work- all with Sigel, Rempe, HOhman and Schmidty :)

and now i m waiting for the DVD s you shown up also......grrrrrr :D

take care Dennis,
it s nice to be a *pool-a-holic* ^^

lg
Ingo

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I certainly agree, I used to have the honor of watching John play everyday. He wouldn't quit til he ran the hundred for the day.

Steve

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member

I have John's 245 DVD and have watched it many times. Where can I get the 164 with inline commentary?

Thanks-

-dj

sausage

Banned
Back in the day when Straight Pool was the game, the whole mood was different. Now, Charlie Williams has to stretch himself to the limit just to try and put on a decent straight pool tournament.

in the "black and white" days, they used to televise 14.1 matches.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
i owe alot of the knowledge i have to watching john play back in the day when he played in my home room, unfortunatly i dont have half of the talent that he has in his pinky !!!:eek:

Steve