Am I over reacting?

infest

Banger
Silver Member
We have a local tourny that has a break pot. The guy that runs the tournament decided to do 3 draws for the break pot (then told the other players not the tell anyone)... There were only five people. The guy running the break pot was also one of them in the drawing. Is this not completely unethical? The guy has been told repeatedly that you can't change the rules. Yet he keeps doing crap like this. I don't like it. I called him out on it. I even went directly to the bar owner (he agreed it is a horrible thing to do). The break pot has money put into it not only by the pool players, but also the bar patrons. I think the guy (the one running the break pot). I no longer trust the guy. I don't think he would be doing this crap if he didn't have a damn good shot at the money.

The guy just about always places in the money. One weekend he actually tried to take money from the break pot to double the payouts of the tourny. He wouldn't be doing that if he didn't have a damn good shot at getting some of that money(JMHO).

Am I over reacting or is this guy as scummy as i think he is?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be clearer about what exactly happened. You said he had 3 draws. How did that work? Also, you said there were 5 people. Only 5 people in the drawing or 5 people in the tournament?

infest

Banger
Silver Member
They drew for the 10 ball break 3 times. It's supposed to be only 1 draw. There were only 5 people that showed up to play in the tournament.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Breakpots. They get big sometimes to the point of havong flush it a bit to prevent robbery etc. But when only 5 show up it sounds like obvious shenanigans. Find a new tournament.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
When only 5 people showed, he held 3 draws so he would most assuredly get drawn, right.

He is a Cheating Dick. Next tournament, just show up and have a beer. If he asks if you're in, say no thanks. If he pushes it and asks why. Tell him hes a crooked FK and you have no intentions of ever playing in anything he runs.

DJordan816

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had one of these at a local poolhall/bar where I live as well and had many problems with it, the biggest one being that one day the owner of the establishment decided to just stop doing it and the money disappeared with no mention of it for over a year now. The opportunity to win the cash is sometimes too tempting but in the long run I now believe they just aren't worth the headache.

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7:4343

We have a local tourny that has a break pot. The guy that runs the tournament decided to do 3 draws for the break pot (then told the other players not the tell anyone)... There were only five people. The guy running the break pot was also one of them in the drawing. Is this not completely unethical? The guy has been told repeatedly that you can't change the rules. Yet he keeps doing crap like this. I don't like it. I called him out on it. I even went directly to the bar owner (he agreed it is a horrible thing to do). The break pot has money put into it not only by the pool players, but also the bar patrons. I think the guy (the one running the break pot). I no longer trust the guy. I don't think he would be doing this crap if he didn't have a damn good shot at the money.

The guy just about always places in the money. One weekend he actually tried to take money from the break pot to double the payouts of the tourny. He wouldn't be doing that if he didn't have a damn good shot at getting some of that money(JMHO).

Am I over reacting or is this guy as scummy as i think he is?

Oh no you're right! The guys a scumbag! Is a guy like that down here in Fresno that's the same way. He's probably the best player in Fresno. Everybody follows him around and ass I think he's a ****ing jerk. He complains a $10 to love with a wheelie Turner Brian and refused to play in it unless it's raised to a 20-25 even $50 sometimes. As if just because he's a go off at the card room the rest the Poolplayer should donate to him

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I am going to be the goat for many, but, please explain a " break pot " to where it involves patrons at the bar as well?? Let's say there is 10 players in the tournament and another 10 patrons sitting at the bar drinking, a total of 20 people in the place besides the bar owner. 21 total people in the establishment. How does this exactly work, or your version of it. Sorry, but, interested as league nights might become more interesting !!!
Thanks in advance.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why even bother having a tournament at all if you only have 5 people?

Time waster if you ask me.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is cheating but it could be worse. I worked at a place where the union steward was like that.

Find another tournament.

infest

Banger
Silver Member
I guess I am going to be the goat for many, but, please explain a " break pot " to where it involves patrons at the bar as well?? Let's say there is 10 players in the tournament and another 10 patrons sitting at the bar drinking, a total of 20 people in the place besides the bar owner. 21 total people in the establishment. How does this exactly work, or your version of it. Sorry, but, interested as league nights might become more interesting !!!
Thanks in advance.

Ok it works just like a raffle. You buy tickets. 1 ticket = a dollar. You can buy as many tickets as you want.

If your number gets draw. You get to break a ten ball rack. So... Lets pretend there is $100 dollars in the pot. That makes each ball worth $10 dollars. If you break and make a ball you can keep shooting and try to run the rack. If you run the rack you get the $100. But if you shoot and miss or scratch you lose everything. You have the choice to stop shooting at any point and walk away with the money you have made from previous balls dropped. If you don't make a ball on the break you are done. These things can build quickly. There is one in Murray, Ky that has at times had thousands of dollars in the pot. I.E. $5,000 pot = $500 a ball.

If t he table isn't ran. Then all of the money stays in the pot and carries over to the next week or tourny. They pots can build quickly depending on how many players/patrons you have. You make the rules. You can have a second place drawing for a bar tab. You could take 1/4 out of the pot after every event and donate it. It's completely up 2 you.

Last edited: