How about get yourself a job

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so ... Am I missing something? ... And pool is never going to get anywhere if it continues like this.

Yes, sir. You ARE missing something ... an ability to write well.
If it continues like that who knows what will happen.

I tell everyone on here, if you're going to criticize a person, group, organization, etc.
you better at least communicate your thoughts correctly or else you lose a bit of credibility
in the process.

Be well.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Yes, sir. You ARE missing something ... an ability to write well.
If it continues like that who knows what will happen.

I tell everyone on here, if you're going to criticize a person, group, organization, etc.
you better at least communicate your thoughts correctly or else you lose a bit of credibility
in the process.

Be well.

No he's not missing anything. Because a man comes on here and speaks the truth there are people here that are offended by what he said. I understood everything he stated in the OP just fine.

Just because Philly is a hard working man that actually works to pay for something that he gets pleasure out of he gets bashed for doing what any responsible man is supposed to do. Some people here have lost their minds.

We aren't in grade school or middle school anymore. Your mom and dad aren't expected to pay for everything for you. If you are a grown man and have dreams of becoming a professional pool player then you need to be able to fund that dream of yours somehow. I would like to play in tournaments all of the time, but I don't because I have a job and responsibilities.

Philly, you know that you have spoken the truth when so many people respond to it in the way that we have seen here. Forget grammar and stick to the real world. There's not a lot of people with common sense left around here anymore. Hopefully it will rub off on some folks.

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to the op,

perhaps if you learned to articulate yourself a little better you would find more people in agreement as your feeble message attempt has some merit

you're clearly extraordinarily uneducated, I'm thinking grade school drop out or there abouts and failed parents so we'll throw some of the blame at mom and pops as clearly they did not aid you as care givers

you are a simpleton, refrain from having kids if possible
that's all

I'm somehow suspicious that this "simpleton" reports more taxable income than every American pool player with maybe 2 or 3 exceptions...and wouldn't even bet it's that high
His point is valid IMO.

Oh yea forgot. I'd expect that the OP has about the same education level as the average professional pool player. Take that however you want. At least he was wise enough to learn a trade that pays.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The issue isn't with the players, the issue is with the pool industry, it is bankrupt and has no money like other sports, for example a decent player that doesn't do so good on tennis, will earn more than the #1 pool player, doesn't this make you laugh?

Now as to why they don't get jobs, let me explain it to you, I am a worker just like you, and I play pool as a part time because it's just a hubby and I accepted it to be only a hubby and nothing more, and I work everyday, this resulted in me not being able to attend big tournaments that are far away, why? Because I can't get time off work, but I accepted that.

For example all of my friends are now in Doha playing the qualifier matches to get into stage 2 qatar world championships, and I couldn't go with them, why? because I can't get time off work, and pool remained a hubby of which I play once or twice a week.

I hope that answered your question about the players who wanted to take pool more seriously but have no money, and my hats are off to them because it's a suicidal choice due to my #1 point on this post, POOL HAS NO MONEY.

And why doesn't it have money? I think I know, but it will open up another discussion and needs so many paragraphs to explain, which I am not in the mood to do right now.

Sorry for the bad English, it's not my first language.

What is a hubby? ;)

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love how OP gets blindsided when posters throw him curved ball attacking his writing skills rather than pool related stuff
OP is myopic . First of all, gambling one on one is passé . Any pool player who wants to prove he is best should be playing major tourneys or World Championships like the one in Doha right now
Sure everyone should get a job
But if your dream job is being pro pool player , how do you actually get to be great if you hold down a full time job ?
If everyone gets a job then there should only be amateur part time players no more pro pool players
That begs the question , wouldn't quality and standard of pool players suffer then?:grin:

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
“Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation.”
― Walter Cronkite

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really couldn't believe some of these replies. People keep discussing why traffic has been down on AZB, well here is a perfect example. The only thing that comes to my mind is that I am quite certain these folks would not dare to speak to someone face to face like that so why do it on a forum? A forum is suupposed to be a place to exchange ideas and information in if not a positive manner then at least respectfully, not some wanna be - ........ Philly I get exactly what your saying, keep on keeping on bro! If you were a little closer I'd check you out for some body and paint work.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now thats well said!

I encourage anyone who can to get a job. Does wonders for your self esteem and character. If you have to be a beggar/thief/conman/poolplayer/beach bum etc..you'd better be a good one. If you are beggar, make a sign that makes us laugh or cry. If you are a thief, steal only high priced objects from people who deserve to be robbed. If you are a beach bum, make us jealous of your free lifestyle and confuse us with vague and mangled philosofical quotes out of context. And if you are a pool player: Be entertaining and make people line up to throw their money at you!

And it couldn't be said any better! Thanks!

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Making excuses

Now as to why they don't get jobs, let me explain it to you, I am a worker just like you, and I play pool as a part time because it's just a hubby and I accepted it to be only a hubby and nothing more, and I work everyday, this resulted in me not being able to attend big tournaments that are far away, why? Because I can't get time off work, but I accepted that.

For example all of my friends are now in Doha playing the qualifier matches to get into stage 2 qatar world championships, and I couldn't go with them, why? because I can't get time off work, and pool remained a hubby of which I play once or twice a week.

There are plenty of companies that would make allowances for time off (legitimate time off) if they were approached the correct way. I have spoken to a few players about going to the Bass Pro stores, Academy Sporting Goods store, Gander Mountain, Dicks, etc..., and proposing to them that they would like to work there.

Letting them know up front that they are a professional athlete and that once a quarter they would need some additional time off, a few extra days for competition?

To date not one has done it or followed up in a effort to put together a Bio/Portfolio/resume. Its easier to not work and complain about the lack of money in Pool.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Cmon you guys. Admit it, we're all tired of this work crap. Let's just play pool and mooch.

I am almost to that point. It's called semi-retirement.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
SVB and very few other so called full time players that have a full sponsor don't need to work. I'd say at the most, 6 don't need to work. I've been around pool all my life and most of them are lazy. If it wasn't for girlfriends, starehorses, and hand outs...they would starve before they work 1 hour. Johnnyt

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree OP, it's pathetic that someone would rather be
a bum, not work for his own living, and day in and day
out ask others for some kind of monetary assistance.
Whether it be to borrow money, to get staked, etc.

Get a f***in job man!!!

Sad part is, the ones of this nature do get an occasional
job, only to quit after a paycheck or two and be right back
in the same boat. Many of them will dump if they do get
staked. Even if you stake one whose honest, he has to
win twice as much as he loses just for the stakehorse to
break even. Simply, not worth the hassle or the risk.

I love pool and I love to gamble, but work comes first. There
are many tournaments and venues that I'd like to go to, but
I know my main obligation is to my job and my family. Some
just don't get it and never will.

Good post OP.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to scrounge a decent living playing pool has got to be one of the toughest jobs around, that's why so many great players fail at it.

thekid1127

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is a dying industry and will always be. Best thing I ever did was stop playing on a regular basis.