John Barton us open ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
A local furniture store ran a going out of business sale for over five years. I don't know if some authority finally made him quit running the advertising or the backlash from some news stories caused the owner to move on to other marketing.

Hu

Wilson's leather MO
Jason

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Nothing beats the commercials with a countdown. There must be someone, somewhere on this earth ��, that sees that and truly believes.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Nothing beats the commercials with a countdown. There must be someone, somewhere on this earth ��, that sees that and truly believes.

You're telling me I would still get the same offer if I called after the timer stopped??!!

Blasphemy!

:cool:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a data kind of guy

Please cite Statute.
:eek:
"legally supported" is based on what you are wearing in many cases and which country you live in, not the details or the moral correctness of the situation. I an not talking about cutting off a hand when you steal bread, but one should be able to deal with an annoyance. If not, all that shows is that people can act how they want without having to deal with consequences of their actions. That is when people grow up to be whiny rude *****es.

What will the police do if you call and say some people are bothering your friend and calling her names? By the time they get there, those guys would have probably run off, and even if not, what do they do? They walk in, say "be nice" and walk out. The guys being asses just make fun of you some more when they leave saying "look at how stupid and ineffective you are". Losing a few teeth teaches them a different thing.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this altercation and johns no BS tolerated stand behind his product’s makes me a believer in his products also! Gonna give up my instroke and get me a JB, if you’re passionate about your product then you must fight like the 3rd monkey getting on the Ark!

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
JB's a good guy but he's got a fuse 'bout a 1/4" long. Doesn't take much flame for his bomb to blow. He's built a reputation for his Rugged series and along comes the Omega look-a-likes. Something had to give. If something did happen it wasn't a one-way street.

And?

Everything that goes to China gets copied.
Zero F@cks given.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly JB Case cannot prove those are knockoffs if the competitor doesn’t advertise his cases as a JB Case. The competition can definitely say it’s an hommage design. How many times have we seen this done. Cues, cases and many everyday household items.

The typical dive watch made from various companies like Rolex, Omega and Seiko are not scrutinized.

Nothing more. Enjoy your JB Case and Acme. They are essentially the same just like enjoy your watches.

Looks the same. Enjoy both.
48orangedkredsilver-6T.png

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Mark'em up, to mark'em down!" :p

I only had 28 years in the CE biz...lol. Seen some things.

Unless things have changed, in New York, You cannot say an item is on 'SALE' unless you have sold a certain fairly high percentage of those goods previously at the higher price you are marking down from. This is why you often see the words 'Special Purchase' and not 'SALE' at least in MY working days which are long over.

SJpilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly JB Case cannot prove those are knockoffs if the competitor doesn’t advertise his cases as a JB Case. The competition can definitely say it’s an hommage design. How many times have we seen this done. Cues, cases and many everyday household items.

The typical dive watch made from various companies like Rolex, Omega and Seiko are not scrutinized.

Nothing more. Enjoy your JB Case and Acme. They are essentially the same just like enjoy your watches.

Looks the same. Enjoy both.

48orangedkredsilver-6T.png
Its obviously not covered by patent, but in other industries the argument would be made it would be covered as trade dress... at least from the looks of that picture.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
A local furniture store ran a going out of business sale for over five years. I don't know if some authority finally made him quit running the advertising or the backlash from some news stories caused the owner to move on to other marketing.

Hu

Hu,

In our county in New York, you actually have to have a permit to hold a GOOB sale. The permit must be displayed in a prominent spot visible to all who enter the store and in each advertisement.

On my only visit to NYC's Times Square in the late 60's, found my favorite store sign to be "GOING OUT for BUSINESS". Another was "We lose money on every sale but make it up in volume!".

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
"Mark'em up, to mark'em down!" :p

I only had 28 years in the CE biz...lol. Seen some things.

In the late 80's and early 90's, I worked for the B & W / Adcom / Tandberg rep firm in New England. Did you happen to work for "Cookin"?

Lyn

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am probably one of the very few people on this site that has actually sued another party in a real no kidding court (and won).

And given my experience in that endeavor, in my very non-lawyer opinion, this whole thing will never see a courtroom for any number of good reasons. I will leave it to the legal beagles to expound. So what have you got left?

Marketing.

JB is getting boo koo publicity for his cases with all kinds of folks coming forward about their ownership of said cases and (as an extra added benefit) disparagement of the competitor who is, admittedly, selling a cheaper product.

But really: so what? I remember when I started out with an el-cheapo cue and buying a $15 case for it. You know the one: a greenish/brown suede with some diagonal stripes on it and a handle. It was all I needed. So so what if the guys that are playing with less than exotic cues (virtually all league players) are very happy spending less on a case. More power to them. Don't be so quick to disparage them.

I myself own several high end cases for my Ginas: a custom black alligator Whitten, a beautiful brown envelope Rusty Melton, an elephant Engles, and a Fellini. So what? I buy them for their quality and looks -- not protection, though they do provide all that in spades -- because I handle my cues like they're made of glass. I really don't need all the super-duper protection JB claims his cases give.

So all that's really happening here is that everyone is participating in a big ol' JB marketing campaign whether you know it or not. Knock yourselves out.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Favorites

Hu,

In our county in New York, you actually have to have a permit to hold a GOOB sale. The permit must be displayed in a prominent spot visible to all who enter the store and in each advertisement.

On my only visit to NYC's Times Square in the late 60's, found my favorite store sign to be "GOING OUT for BUSINESS". Another was "We lose money on every sale but make it up in volume!".

Lyn

An ad for a local used car dealer claimed he bought at retail and sold at wholesale because it was more fun that way! That was outrageous enough it was assumed everyone would know it was BS and that ran for years. I think my very favorite slogan was for a waste removal company. "Satisfaction guaranteed or double your garbage back!"

Hu

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s what I know about marketing and brand dilution. An example are tissues...people refer to tissues as Kleenex, which is a brand, eventually everyone calls these cases the rugged case which diluted the brand. Another are bandages, we call them band-aids, but it can refer to many brands of actual bandages.

It comes down to whether you like the JB Rugged or the Omega Rugged.

More companies will eventually make the Rugged.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I'm still trying to figure out when Truck Month is over.

Been wanting a new car for years now.

Don't need no truck.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

Don't need no truck.

I have been driving trucks near on all my life, big trucks and small trucks and many vintage trucks. I am a CDL examiner(part time) and trainer but for my personal truck I drive a Chevy Colorado. I also collect vintage trucks and have for 40 years.

Now and then I will rent a "car" and I must admit I like them, better riding, easy in and out, cheaper to buy and drive....way more comfortable.

Cars=:cool:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Don't need no truck.

I miss my truck...sold in 2014...It currently lives in Texas

Attachments

• SSR 6589.jpg
    SSR 6589.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.