How would you run this?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surprised no one is seeing the most obvious shot. Just bank the 1 into the 9. Hit the cue ball with stun and a little right so it goes to the short rail opposite the 2 ball, and then goes behind the 5.

:) :) :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoa...I'm smelling some salmon here. In your previous post you said "Side pocket. I cant make any balls there.". Now you're talking about banking the one into the side pocket?

I'm just bustin' your balls, BB. I fully realize your suggestion was for the OP to bank the 1-ball...not for you to.

Maniac
Well...I think I am about 75% on the straight in and about 70% on the bank, sadly.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I stun straight down with mucho right english and get to the rail, whitey is spinning
away from the 2-ball for pretty good position.
....and years of action tells me to avoid hooking myself, which can happen your way.
...if I don’t hook myself while not getting position....I got the first safety....
...which leaves me being a favorite to win the game.

You should paid more achtung in the pool school. Going into that bottom rail by the 6 is plaayin into the position line, whereas going into the rail the 2&3 are on is crossing the line.

I do like the possibility of getting in between the 2/3 though...which brings us to another lesson: Don move balls when you don't have to!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Howsabout banking the 1 and drawing cb to rail near the 6? That is really about as good as you are going to get on the 2 and you are gonna be shooting the 3 from near the spot anyway.

?
Natural draw angle with a roomy landing pad. What's not to like (if you like the bank)?

pj
chgo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Surprised no one is seeing the most obvious shot. Just bank the 1 into the 9. Hit the cue ball with stun and a little right so it goes to the short rail opposite the 2 ball, and then goes behind the 5.

:) :) :)

Sooo...somebody asked Beibs “How ya hittin’ em?
Beibs replied “I’m hittin’the bottle pretty good.”

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like it.

I also like making the 1-ball and banking the 2-ball back up table, using the 3-ball to kill the cueball behind the 9-ball.

Freddie <~~~ then watch the opponent’s jump shot

This worked awesome, slightly follow the 1ball about 4inches then the bank safe! No need to discuss any further lol

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Which won? Between the 2/3, or to the rail by the 6?
Rail by the 6. I suggested it too somewhere back there...

pj
chgo

Blank.jpg

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Black balled stated "side pockets,i never can make anything in the side"

that is exactly how I feel

I think i would try to make the 1 ball and shoot to where i could play safe and wait for something easy enough for me to shoot with confidence

I f I were afraid my opponent might get out or out of my safety and hook me up

Then I would look for an easier game

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also like making the 1-ball and banking the 2-ball back up table, using the 3-ball to kill the cueball behind the 9-ball.

Freddie <~~~ then watch the opponent’s jump shot

This is what I tried (and failed) at. Ended up running into the eight with the 2. Even though cue ball was stuck near the rail, I left him with enough angle he made the table length cut, went 3 rails avoiding all traffic, and ended up on the 3. Game over from there. :angry:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I couldn't cheat that one a little bit left to bring the cb off the rail (top right), landing it between the 2 and 3, then I'd shoot the 1 and stop the cb for an easy lockup safety off the 2, knocking the 2 up table and drifting the cb against the backside of the 3.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This came up in a game recently. I ended up playing safe on the 2...and eventually ended up losing the rack. Just wondering if there is a good way to run this out that I am missing. just didn't feel comfortable with that 2 and 3 position...BTW, the cueball was dead straight on the 1 in the side...
picture.php
[/IMG]
Without reading any of the other responses yet, if the 1-ball in the side is too straight to cheat the pocket to try and possibly get shape on the 2-ball, I would simply pocket the 1-ball, following up the cue ball within maybe 6 inches of the side pocket. Then I'd be feathering (thin cutting) the 2-ball on the left edge with outside spin, at a speed that sends the cue ball off the end rail and side rail, down to the far end of the table. If you hit it right, the 2-ball should hit off the end rail and run in to the 3-ball which will stop it, leaving it near the center of the end rail roughly where the 3-ball sits. You may possibly hook your opponent behind the 1-ball or 7-ball, but at the very least they will likely be looking at playing a much harder safety than the one you've just played, since the cue ball will be table length away from the 2-ball.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Without reading any of the other responses yet, if the 1-ball in the side is too straight to cheat the pocket to try and possibly get shape on the 2-ball, I would simply pocket the 1-ball, following up the cue ball within maybe 6 inches of the side pocket. Then I'd be feathering (thin cutting) the 2-ball on the left edge with outside spin, at a speed that sends the cue ball off the end rail and side rail, down to the far end of the table. If you hit it right, the 2-ball should hit off the end rail and run in to the 3-ball which will stop it, leaving it near the center of the end rail roughly where the 3-ball sits. You may possibly hook your opponent behind the 1-ball or 7-ball, but at the very least they will likely be looking at playing a much harder safety than the one you've just played, since the cue ball will be table length away from the 2-ball.

Me too. While I see great creativity in the cross-side bank shot, I don't care for it because neither the shape nor the defense offered on a miss is even close to certain. Playing shape onto a really easy safety works well for me here if the pocket cannot be cheated at this angle. If it can, it's one in the side with follow for me.

Playing shape onto an easy, but very aggressive safety should win the rack here.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Highest percentage shot is probably pocket the 1 and play safe on the 2 leaving the cue ball behind the 9.

Trying for a run out I see two options. Bank the 1 cross side and drift the cue ball up table or cheat the side pocket toward the foot of the table and use extreme inside to spin the cue ball up table - problem being getting stuck behind the 9 or 3.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
While I see great creativity in the cross-side bank shot, I don't care for it because neither the shape nor the defense offered on a miss is even close to certain.
I agree there's no defense with that shot (need to be confident of the bank), but I think shape is pretty simple - see my post #28.

pj
chgo

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I agree there's no defense with that shot (need to be confident of the bank), but I think shape is pretty simple - see my post #28.

pj
chgo

For my taste, Patrick, that's playing a circle draw into a pretty small position zone. It's there, but I'm not calling it easy, because the shot must be hit with at least some pace for the bank to reach the pocket.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll go for the bank being a ring game shot.

I'd prob play shape on a safe on the 2...and bet I could leave cb within 1" of another ball* in real match play.

Edge to edge, of course!:eek:;)

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
This came up in a game recently. I ended up playing safe on the 2...and eventually ended up losing the rack. Just wondering if there is a good way to run this out that I am missing. just didn't feel comfortable with that 2 and 3 position...BTW, the cueball was dead straight on the 1 in the side...
picture.php
[/IMG]

I think that’s a tough rack to try and run out. Still think that your decision to play a safe on the 2 is still the best play. The other thing to consider is whether or not it would have been better to play the safety with the 1 instead.

Personally if I had to run out i’d just take the 1 head on maybe cheat the pocket slightly to give myself enough angle on the 2 so I can play a drag/draw shot (with side if necessary) and have the cueball catch the 9 thin so I have a workable angle on the 3. The 4 to 6 isn’t troublesome so I don’t need position to be perfect. But I guess that’s personal cos I’m comfortable with thin cuts and these are still ok; the angle is thick enough to offer a modicum of cueball control.

If things go tits up and the cueball hits the 9 square then the bank safety is available.