Congrats to Bernie Pettipiece aka berniep!

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Congrats on another 14.1 AZ State Championship, I will buy you a beer the next time I see ya bud, good shooting. :)

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Video

congrats Bernie! Wonder what the high run for the tournie was?

I watched the match between: Dennis Orender & T. Kane for 3rd place.
During the match they stated that the high run for the tournament was 49.
Proves my point that you do not have to run in high numbers, as long as you are consistent in offense & defense. (of course it does not hurt to run a ton of balls) Many times you see the guy with the high run in the tournament does not win it.
I did not get a chance to see the finally match between Bernie & Orender. Maybe, it is higher then 49.
I am not sure if Kane is the same Kane that I played many years ago in a tournament up in Canada but it does look like him. I beat him in that tournament taking 4th place and he took 5th. If it is the same guy, he is a Firemen from Phoenix, AZ.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Proves my point that you do not have to run in high numbers, as long as you are consistent in offense & defense. (of course it does not hurt to run a ton of balls) Many times you see the guy with the high run in the tournament tournament does not win it.
I did not get a chance to see the finally match between Bernie & Orender. Maybe, it is higher then 49.
I am not sure if Kane is the same Kane that I played many years ago in a tournament up in Canada but it does look like him. I beat him in that tournament taking 4th place and he took 5th. If it is the same guy, he is a Firemen from Phoenix, AZ.

Yes that is he, hell of a nice guy. The high run was 49 by Dennis Orender, I guess Bernie ran a non tournament 101 the night before when he was there. :)

berniep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments and support. I appreciate them.

It's been a lot of fun playing just 14.1 in the last 2 weeks in preparation of this tourney. I generally don't have anyone to play competitively who is into the game.

Alas.....it's back to one hole for another year:(

Bernie.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments and support. I appreciate them.

It's been a lot of fun playing just 14.1 in the last 2 weeks in preparation of this tourney. I generally don't have anyone to play competitively who is into the game.

Alas.....it's back to one hole for another year:(

Bernie.

They say there are not many people who play one pocket but for us that is not true, many do here in AZ but for 14.1 I rarely see anyone playing the game much at all, it is a great game if I only have concentration for it. I will let you beat up on me sometime for a beer, I just need a ton of points and not the 2 I will hit when trying to pocket the ball. :)

berniep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Proves my point that you do not have to run in high numbers, as long as you are consistent in offense & defense. (of course it does not hurt to run a ton of balls) Many times you see the guy with the high run in the tournament tournament does not win it

Mike,

You raise an interesting point.

The balls on this broadcast table were extremely difficult to get more than a few touching each other (balls were approx 10-15 yrs old, I'm guessing, and were worn to different diameters).

After hitting one or two break shots it became apparent that a sizeable run was not likely, so it came down to running an open rack or two and relying on a good safety to continue. Sometimes you just have to make the best of the given equipment and play accordingly.

Your comment about a player typically making the highest run in a tourney and not winning........a recent example comes to mind of last years World's 14.1 at Comet............if I recall correctly Oliver Ortmann, in 3 consecutive matches runs 100 & out, 100 & out, 150 & out!......but obviously did not win.

If that tourney was played, for example, on a last eight round robin format, (which I strongly favor) with a point system of for/against, then the all around best player would rise to the top.

3 cushion tourney formats commonly use this system whereby you could conceivable have one bad game but perform superbly in the remaining 6 games and still win.

In my opinion this is the only way to truly determine the best player for the duration of the competition.

Whaddy'all think about that format?

Thanks.

Bernie.

berniep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good job Bernie, I watched most of the final.

Thanks Bill,

It was'nt the prettiest win but hey.....I'll take it.

The break shots were just not behavin':wink: (Reference my comment to 14-1 StraightMan for my excuse;).)

Bernie.

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats Bernie,

I watched most of the matches this last weekend, or as much of them as I could. Absolutely excellent matches, especially the final matches. Damn nice win sir.

Seeing there is little straight pool down there, and if you ever feel need to escape the heat, my doors always open. I could use some advice from a master.......... and the beer is always cold.

Cheers,
RG

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Bernie:
Thanks for the reply. I always tell players that enjoy playing 14.1 that
consistency is the most important thing of all.
Congrats on your great win again.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Kane

Yes that is he, hell of a nice guy. The high run was 49 by Dennis Orender, I guess Bernie ran a non tournament 101 the night before when he was there. :)

Thanks Fast Lenny. I enjoyed listening to you while I was watching the match. You really had me laughing at times.
Yes, Kane is a gentlemen. Very polite and a great player. If you see him again. Tell him that Mike from the Dallas PD said hello. We might have to play each other up in NY next year at the World Police & Fire Games.