Broken measles ball

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In didn't want to hijack the other thread about chalk and the measles ball so I started this new one. Over there I said I would try to get pictures of the broken measle ball.

A couple of days ago my wife came home from playing in her APA league where they use the measle ball. She said one of the guys broke a rack and the cue ball broke apart. A good chunk of it broke away.

I would be proud to say it was me that did it but I don't think an 11 mph break could do this. Check these pictures out. The dots appear to be plugs inserted into the ball.

The old clay balls used to break apart something like this. I haven't seen this in years.
Someone suggested that this might be a knock off measles ball, maybe from China. Any thoughts?
image.jpg

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
In didn't want to hijack the other thread about chalk and the measles ball so I started this new one. Over there I said I would try to get pictures of the broken measle ball.

A couple of days ago my wife came home from playing in her APA league where they use the measle ball. She said one of the guys broke a rack and the cue ball broke apart. A good chunk of it broke away.

I would be proud to say it was me that did it but I don't think an 11 mph break could do this. Check these pictures out. The dots appear to be plugs inserted into the ball.

The old clay balls used to break apart something like this. I haven't seen this in years.
Someone suggested that this might be a knock off measles ball, maybe from China. Any thoughts?
View attachment 343295

How many dots does it have on it? The knockoff balls are different than the regular.

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the fracture lines I would venture to guess that the impact (I assume with the rack) was right on the dot facing the viewer.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Aramith the holes are drilled all the way thru supposedly and not shallow plugs... The idea was that as long as they were all the way thru and geometrically correct they would offset each other and the ball would remain close to balanced as possible....

I will admit this info comes from an employee at diamond and not aramith but it makes sense....

Chris

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure that is not a Aramith measles ball.
Aramith should use a hologram or something to make copying harder...

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Aramith the holes are drilled all the way thru supposedly and not shallow plugs... The idea was that as long as they were all the way thru and geometrically correct they would offset each other and the ball would remain close to balanced as possible....

I will admit this info comes from an employee at diamond and not aramith but it makes sense....

Chris

Are you saying that Aramith "drills out" the ball to make the dots rather than just apply the dots in the same fashion as they would apply the numbers, or stripes on object balls ? I think this makes more sense than "drilling" holes in a cueball ???

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member

Chris

If it's filled with the same resin but just different color then it wouldn't matter it the dots were arrayed perfectly or not. You could have all the dots on the same half of the cue ball and it would still be balanced.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
If it's filled with the same resin but just different color then it wouldn't matter it the dots were arrayed perfectly or not. You could have all the dots on the same half of the cue ball and it would still be balanced.

Since it a common occurrence for the dots to end up being flat spots I would assume it is a softer resin and therefore not the same as the main body of the ball.....

It was stated they are drilled, filled and reground... I am in no way sure if that's the case but the story came from someone who has always been accurate in what he has told me in regard to table and ball construction.....

playdoubles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol...

... a friend's Rottweiler has done the same to a Brunswick ball, after it fell off the table!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Chris

I cannot believe that in all these years someone hasn't just sawed one of these puppies in half :)

My personal opinion is that I dislike the measles ball. It plays different and if I'm going to play somewhere that is going to using them I try and get at least a week of practice in.

Lou Figueroa

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Since it a common occurrence for the dots to end up being flat spots I would assume it is a softer resin and therefore not the same as the main body of the ball.....

It was stated they are drilled, filled and reground... I am in no way sure if that's the case but the story came from someone who has always been accurate in what he has told me in regard to table and ball construction.....

I have no idea how they build a measle ball, but would it just seem sensible to "place" the dots there the same as they do on the object balls ? I'm betting there is NO way they drill out a ball to make dots when they could just "print" them on or however they put stripes on the balls....

The drilling sounds a lot like more "conspiracy" stuff to make the whole measle ball does not play "right"......

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the stripes went all the way through on the super pros?

The premier line not, saw one of those cut in half for making cue joints earlier today...