10 Ball Rules Question

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing a 10 last night and I was getting the called 8. I kick at the 2 ball and
miss the whole ball, but I pocket the 8. I go to spot up the 8 and my opponent says the ball stays down. I say no I fouled and you get "ball in hand". He kept insisting so I let it go. Can someone please tell me rule and how I would go about finding it written down. I did end up winning the set which is always a good thing.
Thanks
Tom

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only ball that is spotted is the 10 (unless you are playing called comboed 10s win the game) in any rules I have ever played. 8 stays down.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing a 10 last night and I was getting the called 8. I kick at the 2 ball and
miss the whole ball, but I pocket the 8. I go to spot up the 8 and my opponent says the ball stays down. I say no I fouled and you get "ball in hand". He kept insisting so I let it go. Can someone please tell me rule and how I would go about finding it written down. I did end up winning the set which is always a good thing.
Thanks
Tom

He was right, you were wrong.

There is no Hoyle's Book of Pool Spots. :thumbup:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Yeah, look at it in light of "who would benefit from spotting the ball?", and then make sure the player who just fouled does not benefit.

In this case you were getting the 8, so you benefit if it stays on the table. But you fouled, so you shouldn't benefit. So it stays down.

If your opponent pockets it on a foul, he would benefit if it stayed down, but he fouled, so its spots up.

If your opponent pockets it on a legal shot, he benefits from his legal shot and it stays down.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, look at it in light of "who would benefit from spotting the ball?", and then make sure the player who just fouled does not benefit.

In this case you were getting the 8, so you benefit if it stays on the table. But you fouled, so you shouldn't benefit. So it stays down.

If your opponent pockets it on a foul, he would benefit if it stayed down, but he fouled, so its spots up.

If your opponent pockets it on a legal shot, he benefits from his legal shot and it stays down.

Is this that card game from Star Trek where the strength of a hand depends on the time of day?

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So he can just shoot the other guy's money ball in the whole and it stays down lol

No rules i ever played like that lol

Ok, looks like I read this wrong. I thought he was calling the 8 while he was on the 2. The other guy was giving him the 8 as a money ball? Oh well that’s a different story altogether. Best they decide what happens between themselves before they play. There’s a case for spotting and a case for the 10 now being money ball for both players. I no longer care, there is no rule, and it’s got nothing to do with us.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No it doesn’t.

That is silly. What would keep the spotter from just shooting the spotted ball in at any point?

It is one of those things that needs to be agreed upon before play starts.

I'd argue the spot balls are treated the same as the 10. They are for all other inpurposes and tents.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you'll find it written down anywhere, but if the spot is the called 8, and the player getting the spot pockets the 8-ball but doesn't call it, the 8-ball does not spot, but that player keeps his turn at the table. In the case you describe, as you fouled by not contacting the lowest ball first and you pocketed the 8-ball and you were the one getting the call 8-ball spot, it stays down and your opponent gets ball-in-hand. If your opponent had fouled and pocketed the 8-ball, only then would it have spotted back up and you'd have ball-in-hand.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
This is the correct way to frame this, it's a handicap issue not a WSR 10-ball rules question.

I don't think you'll find it written down anywhere, but if the spot is the called 8, and the player getting the spot pockets the 8-ball but doesn't call it, the 8-ball does not spot, but that player keeps his turn at the table. In the case you describe, as you fouled by not contacting the lowest ball first and you pocketed the 8-ball and you were the one getting the call 8-ball spot, it stays down and your opponent gets ball-in-hand. If your opponent had fouled and pocketed the 8-ball, only then would it have spotted back up and you'd have ball-in-hand.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it is ball in hand if a foul is committed when making the money ball. I would take that any time. :)

So you would be ok with getting the 8 from a guy who shot the 8 in the hole on the first shot of every rack, and it didn't spot back up?

I wouldnt.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've added another element into the matter: calling balls.