inlay, approximate, cost

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am trying to understand the extra cost of inlays in a custom cue. I just need a ballpark figure for ivory and mop inlays. For example, if i wanted to
1. add 4 diamonds in the buttsleeve.
2. also add a dot above and below each diamond
3. and then also add a arrowhead above and below.
How much would each of these inlays add to the cost of a cue, for ivory and mop?

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
misterpoole said:
I am trying to understand the extra cost of inlays in a custom cue. I just need a ballpark figure for ivory and mop inlays. For example, if i wanted to
1. add 4 diamonds in the buttsleeve.
2. also add a dot above and below each diamond
3. and then also add a arrowhead above and below.
How much would each of these inlays add to the cost of a cue, for ivory and mop?

You only have 3 1/2"-4" of butt sleeve to work with & you're putting a lot in that area. What size inlays are you looking for?...JER

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sheldon said:
Prices will probably range from $10-$20 per inlay.

My base Q price is pretty low, but a 1" Ivory inlay is $30. Smaller ones are $20.
I would guess that this design, would be $120 for the 5 inlays. If you wanted this design repeated 3 more times on the butt sleeve, it would add $480 to the Q. That would make it a $780 Q, in my shop...JER

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will find that inlays can go from $10.00 to roughly $35.00 plus finish depending on who will do it for you. Some Cue Makers will not add inlays to another Cue Makers cue because they feel it is disrespectful.

MasterClass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello

Does the estimation take into consideration the material of the inlays or is this an estimate for ivory inlays. Or perhaps the cost if adding inlays is all the same irregardless of material?

Best regards
Chris

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MasterClass said:
Hello

Does the estimation take into consideration the material of the inlays or is this an estimate for ivory inlays. Or perhaps the cost if adding inlays is all the same irregardless of material?

Best regards
Chris

I think that would depend on material, some would definitely charge more for sterling, abalone but might charge the same for ivory, recon stone, and wood. Everyone has their own criteria.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
For what was specified, the material cost would be fairly low. The main expense will be the labor and design charges. If someone doubles the price because it has ivory/mop, they are probalby gouging.

MasterClass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would be considered as laborious inlay work? Notch Diamond? Peacock? What would be considered as simple inlay work? Dots? Diamond? tiffany diamond?

Does a barbell counts a 1 inlay or 3 inlay? Where do you look to see if the inlay is of good quality work? Probably a subjective question.

Sorry to pose so many question. Just thought i might be able to learn something while we are at this topic.

Best regards
Chris

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
inaly

Probably the hardest thing to do is price an inlay. How much material does it take, how much wasted material do you have left over. Do you already have the inlay design drawn, is it a compound inlay,(one inside or on top of another). Do you want sharp points, how wide is it. You can go on and on. I get a lot of requests for quotes like you are using as an example. To get the best quote, you need to have the exact inlay pattern and material decided on. As a cuemaker you don't want to raise the price every time the customer goes, oh by the way, I'd like that out of ivory instead of ebony. Material costs vary greatly and so does the amount of work. Random width ivory costs less than if you need a specific size. Big old round ended inlays take no time compared to small sharp pointed inlays. I'd recommending designing what you want, and then adjusting for budget. Or even better, saving up until you can get what you want. I tell people, don't keep buying cues that are sort of what they want. Save up and get your dream cue, you'll be happier and have more money in the long run.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mother of Pearl in 1/8" thick pieces cost over double what Ivory does for the material. Most cuemakers will charge for wrap, refinish of butt sleeve and inlay work. Lets say in Ivory $20 a piece for the three larger inlays and $5 for the two dots. That is $70 per row times four is $280. Add $40 for Mother of Pearl. Plus linen wrap and refinish butt sleeve $100. If you want leather wrap add another $60. Total estimate is $380 or $420 with linen or $440 to $480 with leather. Another thing is if we add inlays to another mans cues we put our H logo somewhere in or around the inlay work tastefully.
So here is a solid estimate and other cuemakers are welcome to make you a better deal.
Chris
www.cuesmith.com
www.internationalcuemakers.com

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. By the way, when I say add to the cue, I meant add to the design of a new unbuilt cue, not add to a completed cue. My bad.
I get the picture. Adds up quickly.:eek:
One other question, will the cost of the inlay change based on where its located, for example a diamond on the buttsleeve and a diamond on a point, are they the same amount of labor?

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
misterpoole said:
Thanks for the replies. By the way, when I say add to the cue I meant add to the design of a new cue, not add to a completed cue. My bad.
One other question, will the cost of the inlay change based on where its located, for example a diamond on the buttsleeve and a diamond on a point, are they the same amount of labor?
The forearm is more labor than the butt sleeve if the cue is already made. About the same on a new cue. Since you are pricing the inlays in a cue you are having built, you can deduct the finish and wrap cost. This does give you an idea of why custom cues cost what they do. It is pretty easy to put a $1000 worth of inlay work in a forearm and butt sleeve.
Chris
www.cuesmith.com
www.internationalcuemakers.com

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
misterpoole said:
Thanks for the replies. By the way, when I say add to the cue, I meant add to the design of a new unbuilt cue, not add to a completed cue. My bad.

I find that putting an inlay into a coller much easier than putting into a point. When a cue is re-indexed to install inlays, in the point area the inlays are in close proximity to the points and veneers. Nothing is perfect. Some veneers may be thicker or thinner than others or the cue may have been bumped to make the points even, so now the distance between points or between veneers may be slightly different. When an inlay is put closely between two other objects the eye can discern very small differences in distance, sometimes as little as .001. In the coller area, you seldom run into these obstacles, unless of coarse, you have V-cut points back there also.

Dick