Looking for new breaker

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently I am looking for a new breaker. I have been upgrading equipment lately and have a Rage breaker but it's just not up to par in my opinion compared to all my other equipment.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the Mezz Power Break Kai, Mezz Power Break II, and OB Rift. Does anyone have experience with these? I'm also kind of considering a Samsara breaker.

Tried the Predator BK3 and not a huge fan, it doesn't feel as good as the BK2 and I can't get my hands on one of those.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just get a Schmelke sneaky, 18oz., 13mm, with break shaft taper, add joint collars and a LePro or Triangle tip. Buck and a quack and you're done !!!

Last edited:

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Samsara Jump/Break, and I *love* it - I ought to considering I paid more for it than my playing cue!

If you are looking for something less expensive, I've always been shocked at how good the Players Pure X J/B is, just something else for you to consider.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll look some more into a samsara. Anyone broke with the Kai, PB II, or OB

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love my Kai Power Break.

It's nothing revolutionary, but it's a break cue so it doesn't need to be. I was using a Gilbert w/Samsara tip before which was nice but this Mezz definitely seems to break a little harder (which I mostly attribute to the tip) and it's lower deflection I feel so I get more solid hits on the headball and it's more likely to stay on the table when my break gets a little wild (I tend to break with a little pop on my cue ball which works great when I hit it well but can send it flying off the table if I hit it poorly....I get fewer of those now).

I considered the others. I didn't like the shaft choice from OB...I wanted the tip from one and the size from the other. Tried a Predator once and just didn't love the feel and hated the bumper as it was hard to get into my case sometimes. Haven't tried the PBII but just wasn't sold on the idea of a shorter break cue so skipped it. Led me to the Kai PB. I like the simplicity of it, mines just all black wrapless, and I've always wanted to try a Mezz.

Mezz makes a damn fine cue, best fit/finish I've ever seen on a production cue. The way it screws together is fantastic, super snug and precise and the shaft and butt tigthen up in a virtually seamless fashion. It's also dead straight and nicely balanced. If I was ever going to buy a production playing cue it would be a Mezz for sure.

cluelesscuer

My new standard opinion of break cues, is to get the same cue at the same weight that you play with. The only thing different would be the tip (a hard tip).

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Samsara Jump/Break, and I *love* it - I ought to considering I paid more for it than my playing cue!

If you are looking for something less expensive, I've always been shocked at how good the Players Pure X J/B is, just something else for you to consider.

I second the pure x JB as well, especially with a hammerhead JB tip

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tested out the Mezz Kai...it's very good. Nice feel, hits hard, decent control. I personally am using an X-Breaker gen 3 (built by Samsara) with an OB speed break shaft and Hammerhead tip. I LOVE it. I've broke with lots of Rifts and they are great. I might like the feel of the Mezz hit a bit better, but the OB seems lower deflection and hence more accurate for me. Plus it's a fair amount cheaper. I'd probably take the OB out of that group. I also have a BK3 which now has a Hammerhead tip. I like that a lot too. Definitely the hardest hitting break cue I've used, although I agree the feel of the BK2 is nicer (I have one of those too). Still, the BK3 is as good as anything. I found that if you get a pretty light one, it allows you to add a bit of weight in the back, thus improving the balance for me. This makes it feel far better. The BK3 is a cue you need to learn to use properly, but once you do it really pays off. Ymmv

KMRUNOUT

i4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
THam- I have a BK2 if you're interested. PM me if interested.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday I got my new BK3 wrapless and I am superhappy, BK3 is light and well balanced cue with very long taper and with quite LD characteristic which comes very handy when you break 9ball rack with 9 on the spot (eurotour/mosconi/wcop racking rules) ;) Also BK3 performs quite good as a jump cue as well. Everybody has preferences of their own, BK3 meets mine perfectly ;)

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I have a Players Pure X HXTP2 which is a combination Break/Jump Cue.

To be honest, prior to getting it I had always thought a Break Cue was a gimmick invented by cue companies. I'm not a physics or engineering type of guy so while I can't tell you why a Break Cue works so damn well, I can tell you that it definitely does.

I've never before had such excellent breaking results breaking in either 8-Ball or 9-Ball...even when using Mike Sigel's break cue.

To be even more honest, there was a time when I wouldn't have even considered buying any cue from Players, but after reading all the reviews on Break Cues (with Players having the most impressive reviews and more of them...by far) I figured what the hell. So glad I did. Obviously YMMV, but again, there are a lot of very positive reviews out there for this cue, especially on this site.

hxtp1.jpg

Last edited:

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only thing with the pure x is that I knew a guy that would have problems with the weight bolts coming loose and rattling around.

Anyone personally tried the OB Rift

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tested out the Mezz Kai...it's very good. Nice feel, hits hard, decent control. I personally am using an X-Breaker gen 3 (built by Samsara) with an OB speed break shaft and Hammerhead tip. I LOVE it. I've broke with lots of Rifts and they are great. I might like the feel of the Mezz hit a bit better, but the OB seems lower deflection and hence more accurate for me. Plus it's a fair amount cheaper. I'd probably take the OB out of that group. I also have a BK3 which now has a Hammerhead tip. I like that a lot too. Definitely the hardest hitting break cue I've used, although I agree the feel of the BK2 is nicer (I have one of those too). Still, the BK3 is as good as anything. I found that if you get a pretty light one, it allows you to add a bit of weight in the back, thus improving the balance for me. This makes it feel far better. The BK3 is a cue you need to learn to use properly, but once you do it really pays off. Ymmv

KMRUNOUT

Missed the part about rift

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would also like to see more feed back on the Rift. More specifically the control break shaft is what im really curious about.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just get a Schmelke sneaky, 18oz., 13mm, with break shaft taper, add joint collars and a LePro or Triangle tip. Buck and a quack and you're done !!!

I definitely agree with this and have done something similar
except I got a Player's for 70 bucks or so and broke with it for
a really long time. Also put a Triangle tip on it and it breaks like
a pro on every single shot - long as I do my share.
Matter of fact lots of people comment on my breaks.

But assuming the OP is like so many of us on here and feels like
he must spend more money than he has to and it's gotta be fancy,
I would unequivocally recommend the Mezz Power Break II.
And I specifically like it more than the Kai.
Both are - for me - clear winners over the Pred.
The Power Break II is something else.
You gotta at least try it.
Once you get used to it being shorter and it forcing you to choke
up on your breaks, something you should do anyway, just look
at Shane below, it is a break stick you will never leave alone.

https://youtu.be/WAEnKCL3stU

Last edited:

Juan A

Registered
My only thing with the pure x is that I knew a guy that would have problems with the weight bolts coming loose and rattling around.

Anyone personally tried the OB Rift

I have an OB Rift, and I absolutely love it. I purchased it this past august while in Vegas for the APA National tournament. My breaks have improved tremendously with this breaker. I loan it out to lots of the other players on my team, as well as others who's opinions I trust, and everyone loves the way it breaks. I have tried other dedicated breaker and the OB gives me the most consistent results I have ever had. I would highly recommend picking one up to anyone.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take your very first two piece player you bought, broke in and played with for at least a year, slap a samsara or white diamond on it, and bombs away man! More $$$$ in your pocket