I dont get all the questioning fargo ratings lately

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At this time i surmise fargo ratings are just associated with bcapl and usapl to my knowledge. Now my intenetion is not to bqsh bcapl or usapl players although it may seem that way.....its just my observation of threads on here questioning /complaining about peoples handicaps ...mainly bcapl.

Just about every time league is mentioned on here you get a lot of people bashing apa for the supposed handicapping problemand say join bcapl...the league for serious players and yet there are numerous posts on here comeplaining about their handicaps in bcapl.

I guess i am different than most pool players....i was offended when i found out i was asigned a lower starter rating than 2 other apa 5' s were that also joined usapl at the same time i did. I knew i was better than either one of them and told the lo as much. He did not agree but i quickly proved him wrong.

I happen to like fargo but i have seen with my own eyes that it can be manipulated also. With me being an honest apa 5 there should be no way i have a higher rating than an apa 7/9. Not complaining at all... Just pointing out some people will manipulate their ✋ cap when given the oportunity.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At this time i surmise fargo ratings are just associated with bcapl and usapl to my knowledge. Now my intenetion is not to bqsh bcapl or usapl players although it may seem that way.....its just my observation of threads on here questioning /complaining about peoples handicaps ...mainly bcapl.

Just about every time league is mentioned on here you get a lot of people bashing apa for the supposed handicapping problemand say join bcapl...the league for serious players and yet there are numerous posts on here comeplaining about their handicaps in bcapl.

I guess i am different than most pool players....i was offended when i found out i was asigned a lower starter rating than 2 other apa 5' s were that also joined usapl at the same time i did. I knew i was better than either one of them and told the lo as much. He did not agree but i quickly proved him wrong.

I happen to like fargo but i have seen with my own eyes that it can be manipulated also. With me being an honest apa 5 there should be no way i have a higher rating than an apa 7/9. Not complaining at all... Just pointing out some people will manipulate their ✋ cap when given the oportunity.
How many pool players do you know that don't ***** about something? I too always thought the idea was to get better but if somebody gets bumped-up a rating all they do is squeal.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many pool players do you know that don't ***** about something? I too always thought the idea was to get better but if somebody gets bumped-up a rating all they do is squeal.

My point exactly. I am proud as a peacock when i get raised.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I know what you mean. Sandbagging? Your own FargoRate? You WANT people to think you suck worse than you do? Where are these people's sense of pride? For what? To save $35 on a entry fee? To play weaker opponents in a weaker division? I encourage sandbagging, its cheating at solitaire.
As a side note, in general yes, APA is for drinkers and BCA is for players. But I know plenty of APA 7/9s that a lot of BCA guys I know want NO part of.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t see people manipulating, just *****ing: “I was given a 610 even though I’m definitely
worse than two 580s I know. I’m not going next year!”

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A rating system is only as good as the data. Garbage in garbage out. My rating is made up predominantly of 8 ball results. When i play in a 9 ball tournament and lose i would expect my rating to go down. Still waiting.
It is not going to stop me from playing local tournaments but it sure takes some of the fun away when they are fargo handicapped. I dont consider this *****ing btw.

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have stated before that your own stories all point at you being under rated in your apa. You are a 5 but always tell of beating 7's?? WTF?

I asked a legitimate question. I fully support fargorate and wish every league used it.
You say you were rated too low or others were too high. That worked out for you but not so good for the others.

In the 1 thread here the whole team is punished by a "guess".

I know plenty ***** but there has to be a fair way to to address bad assignments. Those who created fargorate and fairmatch had to have the foresight to know this was going to come up. I was not complaining only wanted to know the solution.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have stated before that your own stories all point at you being under rated in your apa. You are a 5 but always tell of beating 7's?? WTF?

I asked a legitimate question. I fully support fargorate and wish every league used it.
You say you were rated too low or others were too high. That worked out for you but not so good for the others.

In the 1 thread here the whole team is punished by a "guess".

I know plenty ***** but there has to be a fair way to to address bad assignments. Those who created fargorate and fairmatch had to have the foresight to know this was going to come up. I was not complaining only wanted to know the solution.

Yea i have posted results f my games plenty of times ....you pointed out where i have won plenty of matches vs 7's. Its not impossibl to do if you play your best at your level and yur opponent fails to play his best. I guess you failed to read about all my losses .

I am sure i am not the only one who plays better against higher level players than against loer levels either. Its not unheard of for a 7 to not be in the game just like my failure to not really play my best when a 3 is dumped on me because their 5 or 6 don't want to play me.

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a fan of FargoRate at all. I think the APA does the handicap better. And I believe the APA does not allow it’s league operators to play in higher tournaments. You can not allow those individuals that determine starter ratings to also play. I also believe FargoRate would be a lot better if it just used tournament to determine ratings. I currently don’t play in any tournaments that used FargoRate. Because they use league results. I also make a living at data analytics and what I see FargoRate is a joke!

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, this is the one time of year that starter ratings really matter, and it’s also the one time of year when starter ratings are being altered the most. So no surprise it’s when people complain.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a fan of FargoRate at all. I think the APA does the handicap better. And I believe the APA does not allow it’s league operators to play in higher tournaments. You can not allow those individuals that determine starter ratings to also play. I also believe FargoRate would be a lot better if it just used tournament to determine ratings. I currently don’t play in any tournaments that used FargoRate. Because they use league results. I also make a living at data analytics and what I see FargoRate is a joke!

Juicy post. If you could, would you expound on your last sentence?

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the FargoRate use a living document that adjusts based on all stats across all changes, or does it adjust solely on incoming numbers?

If you played someone 5 years ago but not since 5 years ago and beat them 3 times, if that same player just beat someone you've never beat, all 3 stats should adjust instantly based on that.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the FargoRate use a living document that adjusts based on all stats across all changes, or does it adjust solely on incoming numbers?

If you played someone 5 years ago but not since 5 years ago and beat them 3 times, if that same player just beat someone you've never beat, all 3 stats should adjust instantly based on that.
That's exactly what it does.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

5 years is a long time. Those old results should fade. I question that is happening because i dont see that in my rating. For example the person i beat 5 years ago may have improved a great deal while i have not spent much time on my game and no improvement

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Here's the deal. Fargo isn't perfect, but Mike Page and his team are doing everything they can over time to improve the accuracy of their methodology.

Fargo is a groundbreaking effort and while it's very far along, it is a work in progress. Best thing to do is thank Mike and his team for everything they are doing, offer constructive criticism as politely as possible, and support their efforts to the max. I think we are on our way to having a rating system we can all believe in if we are patient and supportive enough.

No pool rating system will ever be perfect or even close to it, and there will always be those who either work the system or are overrated or underrated by its methodology, but the guys at Fargo are in the process of adding a lot of value to the game.

In a recent thread, we were asked who the top five nine ball players in the world were. After I gave my five, Mike Page noted that I'd also picked the guys with the five highest Fargo ratings. Tells me that they're doing something right over there.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So unless i can see my own data i will question the rating. That is natural i feel. Especially when i see it drift higher with recent losses. Robustness is useful for fargo and handicappers but not me.
Oh and i think fargo is an excellent tool btw. Just explaining why people are always going to question their rating.
As far as top 100 players those ratings are going to be accurate. Its the non pros that can be questionable. Still not *****ing

Last edited:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So unless i can see my own data i will question the rating. That is natural i feel. Especially when i see it drift higher with recent losses. Robustness is useful for fargo and handicappers but not me.
Oh and i think fargo is an excellent tool btw. Just explaining why people are always going to question their rating.
As far as top 100 players those ratings are going to be accurate. Its the non pros that can be questionable. Still not *****ing

This is a very reasonable way to approach the developing system.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One-year-old games are worth about 80% of a game played today

1 year: 80%
3 years 50%
6 years 25%
10 years 10%

From reading about the system, I'm grateful for it and think it's the best I've understood across many games/sports. My only complaint is the diminishing return.

My first instinct to it was that that made sense, now I'm thinking why adjust them at all? I don't think they should diminish at all, just as I don't think you should be able to restart your rating on your best day. Also, if you leave in all the data, you can create a curvature on skill ability over time. Then the last problem, if not biggest, is that the time span to diminish the data is opinionated and not based on player performance.

One thing I didn't read is this... you play 3 games of 1 pocket and lose them all but also play 100 games of 9-ball and win them all, how are those 3 lost games weighed? I imagine they are weighed against other players who have only played 3 games of 1 pocket and not 100 games of 1 pocket.

The other thing I didn't read is where are the formulas and database of values?