Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page A question for you creative/engineer/inventor types...
Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#31)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-04-2013, 05:14 PM

This with a bit of an adjustment to hold a bridge head would be great I would think. http://flycamnano.com/wp-content/upl...ea-300x300.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
I have a student whose adult son has CP in his lower arm and bridge hand. It doesn't allow him to make a conventional bridge, or even a fist bridge. He bridges the cue over his wrist, and doesn't have any real way to keep it steady, other than gripping tightly. It is especially difficult when shooting over a ball, which he has to do with a "floating" bridge. I had an idea of making an inch wide elastic strap that would go around his wrist, attached with velcro (so he could make as tight or loose as he wanted), and then attaching a velcro strip across the top part where his wrist is. Then you could make a kind of a bridge "head", with grooves for the cue, out of wood or plastic, and have that mesh with the velcro to create a stable place for his cue. His swing is already pretty good, and straight...and this would give him options, both on positioning the "bridge head", where he was most comfortable shooting, and potentially different bridge heights. Anybody run across a problem like this, or have any ideas to contribute? I know there is player in NJ who is missing a hand, and has some kind of prosthetic bridge that fits on the end of his arm (if anybody can post a link to that thread, I'd appreciate it). My guy has his hand...he just can't use it functionally. Thanks for any ideas!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#32)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

11-04-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Glen...I am familiar with the Stretch System. That's a thought, for sure. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Scott Lee
Besides that, the bridge handle extends for longer shots, so he can reach for any shot on the table without having to be shown how to handle or hold a bridge as well. If Cory can play full games gambling having to shoot all his shots using a bridge, I'm sure if the bridge handle was attached to his forearm, it would work just like his hand would holding the cue naturally. With the strings over the cue in the bridge head, it would also stop him from jumping up with his cue after making the shot, because the bridge would come up with the cue as well. It would also be a natural to bridge over balls to reach the cue ball, since a bridge is already used for that kind of a shot, only he'd be much more natural with it, using it with all shots. Just something to think about. My friend up here without his hand, just unlocks the ring on the handle, uses his cue to push the bridge out to extend it, locks the ring again...lines up and shoots...LOL it's impressive to watch him play...it's like he don't miss his hand at all while playing pool

Glen

Old
  (#33)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-04-2013, 08:22 PM

hang-the-9...That looks like it might work too! I went to that site, and saw it listed for sale on amazon.com! Thanks for the suggestion and the link!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
This with a bit of an adjustment to hold a bridge head would be great I would think. http://flycamnano.com/wp-content/upl...ea-300x300.jpg

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#34)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

11-04-2013, 08:26 PM

Glen...Funny you mention Corey, because yesterday I showed his dad how Corey held the bridge, with his arm wrapped around it and the bridge head close to his hand, and talked about how it was a hustle...but one you could only do once in each town! LOL I like your idea, and I'll definitely suggest it to him. Ultimately it has to be his choice. Thanks for following up on your suggestion! I appreciate the thought!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Besides that, the bridge handle extends for longer shots, so he can reach for any shot on the table without having to be shown how to handle or hold a bridge as well. If Cory can play full games gambling having to shoot all his shots using a bridge, I'm sure if the bridge handle was attached to his forearm, it would work just like his hand would holding the cue naturally. With the strings over the cue in the bridge head, it would also stop him from jumping up with his cue after making the shot, because the bridge would come up with the cue as well. It would also be a natural to bridge over balls to reach the cue ball, since a bridge is already used for that kind of a shot, only he'd be much more natural with it, using it with all shots. Just something to think about. My friend up here without his hand, just unlocks the ring on the handle, uses his cue to push the bridge out to extend it, locks the ring again...lines up and shoots...LOL it's impressive to watch him play...it's like he don't miss his hand at all while playing pool

Glen

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#35)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-05-2013, 01:59 PM

bump to the front, for more eyeballs and ideas!

Scott Lee

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#36)
Jodacus
Shoot...don't talk
Jodacus has a reputation beyond reputeJodacus has a reputation beyond reputeJodacus has a reputation beyond reputeJodacus has a reputation beyond reputeJodacus has a reputation beyond reputeJodacus has a reputation beyond reputeJodacus has a reputation beyond reputeJodacus has a reputation beyond reputeJodacus has a reputation beyond reputeJodacus has a reputation beyond reputeJodacus has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Can he uncurl or move his thumb at all?

A device with a flat bottom for stability and a vertical moose head
would give him flexibility if he can attach it to or put
his thumb in it. A simple 2" piece of pipe to start with a
flat base for stability to start with.

Matchin' up is half the fun!

Old
  (#37)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-05-2013, 02:45 PM

Jodacus...No he cannot.

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodacus View Post
Can he uncurl or move his thumb at all?

A device with a flat bottom for stability and a vertical moose head
would give him flexibility if he can attach it to or put
his thumb in it. A simple 2" piece of pipe to start with a
flat base for stability to start with.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#38)
Ruark
AzB Silver Member
Ruark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond repute

11-05-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Manning View Post
As a very low-tech solution, depending on his ability to grasp firmly with his hand, you could just use a bridge head attached to a short length of dowel or other type of handle. If he can hold onto it, it's quite a decent bridge. If he doesn't have the ability to grasp a handle, you'd have to get more creative.

-Andrew
Something like that... he wouldn't have to grasp a handle. The bridge (or whatever) would have a flat plate extending from it, say about 2 by 5 inches, or maybe round, 4-5 inches in diameter. The bottom of the flat plate would have a rubber surface so it wouldn't slip. He could simply hold the plate against the table with the weight of his left hand.

Here's a simple mockup. The bridge could be a "V" or "U" or whatever, but you get the idea. He can just rest his hand on the plate.

Ruark

8' Olhausen Americana, Accufasts, wide rails, Simonis 860, Aramith Super Pros.
McDermott Genesis, 12.75 mm, 19.75 oz.

Last edited by Ruark; 11-05-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Old
  (#39)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-05-2013, 03:15 PM

Ruark...I don't think you understand. He has almost no motor control of his bridge hand, which is constantly balled in a fist. That's why I think the ideas of some sort of brace are appealing. Then it's just a matter of finding a way to attach some sort of bridge head design to the brace. I'm going to try to provide some pictures of him shooting, and perhaps a short video...but it probably won't be until Sunday.

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
Something like that... he wouldn't have to grasp a handle. The bridge (or whatever) would have a flat plate extending from it, say about 2 by 5 inches, or maybe round, 4-5 inches in diameter. The bottom of the flat plate would have a rubber surface so it wouldn't slip. He could simply hold the plate against the table with the weight of his left hand.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#40)
Ruark
AzB Silver Member
Ruark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond reputeRuark has a reputation beyond repute

11-05-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Ruark...I don't think you understand. He has almost no motor control of his bridge hand, which is constantly balled in a fist. That's why I think the ideas of some sort of brace are appealing. Then it's just a matter of finding a way to attach some sort of bridge head design to the brace. I'm going to try to provide some pictures of him shooting, and perhaps a short video...but it probably won't be until Sunday.

Scott Lee
I hear you, Scott. Seems to me like it wouldn't matter if he has no motor control, it's balled into a fist, etc. All he has to do is rest his hand on the plate to hold it against the table. But of course I haven't actually seen him, so that's my best shot at this point.

Ruark

8' Olhausen Americana, Accufasts, wide rails, Simonis 860, Aramith Super Pros.
McDermott Genesis, 12.75 mm, 19.75 oz.

Old
  (#41)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-05-2013, 06:22 PM

Ruark...I appreciate your input, and we'll look at all options. Thanks for your suggestions!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
I hear you, Scott. Seems to me like it wouldn't matter if he has no motor control, it's balled into a fist, etc. All he has to do is rest his hand on the plate to hold it against the table. But of course I haven't actually seen him, so that's my best shot at this point.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#42)
RRfireblade
Grammer Are For Stupids
RRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond repute

11-05-2013, 06:26 PM

Hey Scott, I'm in Orlando. If you'd like to have him contact me I'd be glad to arrange a hook up with him in person and design something for him one on one. I have full machining, Cnc and Cad/Cam capability.

Jay.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Old
  (#43)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-05-2013, 06:46 PM

Jay...Thank you for your very generous offer. I will relay that to his dad, and he might just take you up on it!

I knew that by bringing this man to the attention of the AzB community, people would reach out to help a fellow poolplayer! Thank you everyone, for all the great ideas, and offers to help! You ALL are the best!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRfireblade View Post
Hey Scott, I'm in Orlando. If you'd like to have him contact me I'd be glad to arrange a hook up with him in person and design something for him one on one. I have full machining, Cnc and Cad/Cam capability.

Jay.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#44)
ctyhntr
RIP Ginky
ctyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond repute

11-05-2013, 06:49 PM

Scott,

Would this be in the direction you're visualizing. Anchor the Handibridge to a small plank of wood (like a ruler), and secured to his forearm with velcro (like the steadycam forearm grip)?

Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbreaker View Post

My ego is writing checks that my stroke can't cash.

Old
  (#45)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-05-2013, 06:53 PM

Yeah, Henry...something along those lines. RRfireblade and a couple of others have offered to help create something custom for him. I've told his father about this thread, and I hope he comes and reads it, to see just how GREAT the AzBilliards community is!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyhntr View Post
Scott,

Would this be in the direction you're visualizing. Anchor the Handibridge to a small plank of wood (like a ruler), and secured to his forearm with velcro (like the steadycam forearm grip)?

Henry

PBIA Master Instructor

Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: