Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page A question for you creative/engineer/inventor types...
Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#76)
RRfireblade
Grammer Are For Stupids
RRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-09-2014, 06:21 AM

I'll be meeting with Tyler later today to get started on designing his custom bridge.

I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed ideas in this thread and to bump it up so I can use it (find it again ) as a reference later on.

Thanks again, Jay.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Old
  (#77)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

08-09-2014, 07:19 AM

Thanks to RRfireblade for picking up the ball and running with it, to help out a fellow pool player! I look forward to seeing what you come up with for Tyler.

Scott Lee
hhtp://poolknowledge.com

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#78)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

08-11-2014, 10:35 AM

Well Tyler and Jay (RRfireblade) met up finally, over the weekend, and came up with a couple of ideas that should result in a prototype prosthetic bridge for Tyler. He has been shooting with the cue resting on the bones in his wrist, and doing pretty well. We all expect this new bridge to help him see and shoot normally (Tyler has CP and cannot make a bridge with his hand). I'm still out on the west coast, but I expect this will be done by the time I get home next month, and I'm anxious to see how it works for Tyler. Again, many thanks to everyone who provided helpful hints, links and photos to this thread.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#79)
bdorman
Dead money
bdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRfireblade View Post
I'll be meeting with Tyler later today to get started on designing his custom bridge.

I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed ideas in this thread and to bump it up so I can use it (find it again ) as a reference later on.

Thanks again, Jay.
I've bookmarked this thread and will bug you for updates if they aren't regularly forthcoming!

The more I practice, the luckier I get. --- Gary Player

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. --- Abraham Lincoln

Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers. --- Voltaire

Old
  (#80)
bstroud
AzB Silver Member
bstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2014, 12:50 PM

Scott,

When I was young I spent a great deal of time playing Snooker with a man that only had the use of one arm.

He played with a device that consisted of a circular brass pedestal with a brass ring mounted on top. The center of the ring was the perfect height for the center of the cue ball.

After each shot he would lift the front of the cue sliding the entire apparatus toward the joint and then still holding the cue, would place the base on the table for the next shot.

He ran over 100 many times playing like this.

Bill S.

Old
  (#81)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
08-11-2014, 02:33 PM

One of the little things that makes AZB awesome.

BEHOLD THE POWER

Old
  (#82)
RRfireblade
Grammer Are For Stupids
RRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdorman View Post
I've bookmarked this thread and will bug you for updates if they aren't regularly forthcoming!

I will as we go along.

First meeting was as much of an evaluation as anything else. I think we determined his capabilities pretty well. We roughed out some possible ideas, curiously I think he was consigned to thinking that shooting over the top of his fist (initially this position crossed the center line of his wrist as well) was an only option. This is not ideal for a variety of reasons, being crossed up during setup, the ability to cue at various heights without altering the level of the cue and the bridging length, overall alignment, etc. I think he had trouble initially wrapping his mind around the idea that we were going to put him an as ideal a position as is humanly possible.

We eventually mocked up a wooden handled wire frame Proto. The concept at this point provides something that he can grasp in his hand so he can really feel like he is actually supporting the cue himself, it has self centering feet that will rotate to find the level of the table, so he won't have to regrip to 'get it right'. These feet also maintain his wrist in a comfortable relationship for him to the table and a the same time offer stabilization when this is sometimes difficult for him to control alone. We are still able have physical contact with the felt which I like myself. Additional concerns will allow these feet/base to accommodate shots partially on/off the rail and breaking options.

Outboard of the handle is the cue rest which will (likely) have two rest heights on a non-concentric spindle that when rotated will provide two more for a total of 4, instantly on demand (this point is still under development and may change) As he plays league regularly, speed and simplicity where very high in the to do list. Others included as small a footprint as possible and extreme ease of use and set up on the fly. This handle/rest combination then allows us to give him a final cue rest position that is nearly identical to the position he would achieve if he had the full use of his hand.

That's where we are at as this point. A functional prototype is the next step so that he can put some table time in and continue to refine the concept from a practical standpoint.

One would have to look closely to be able to tell he has any disability at all when he is down in the shooting the position.

So that's is so far.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Last edited by RRfireblade; 08-11-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Old
  (#83)
RRfireblade
Grammer Are For Stupids

01-08-2015, 03:47 PM

Little update...

Final proto is in Tyler's possession and he is off and running. The design was fairly simple and straight forward. Basically all machined aluminum and SS to last a lifetime (ideally). The geometry matches has natural resting position for the bridge hand and arm. The foot print as small and unobtrusive as possible to allow for table placement with minimal restriction. The handle shaped to fit his natural grasp. It also pivots independent of the base so the base will find the surface automatically and stabilize. The cue rest section is of solid Delrin and is also modular. The pictured rest is general purpose and covers high, low and center ball cueing as well as an off the rail and/or breaking guide. After he gets some hours in on it back home and we are sure these specs are dialed, it'll go off to anno/finishing and hopefully provide him endless pool shooting enjoyment.

Anywho.... Pics:

(Sorry they are so large)
Attached Images

Bertrand Russell

Last edited by RRfireblade; 01-08-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: