Opposite hand

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Anyone have any opinions about opposite hand? For myself, I think it's incredibly useful and it's for the most part eliminated ever having to use the rake. I've tried to encourage younger players to train themselves on it but, by and large, I get blank stares. I try to explain it's MUCH easier to learn than it was to learn pool from the get-go, as it's strictly a physical thing for opposite hand, as you already know how to play.

So... useful? Waste of time? Either / or?

drlouis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know yet, but I've been planning on working both hands from the beginning for the reasons you list

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have any opinions about opposite hand? For myself, I think it's incredibly useful and it's for the most part eliminated ever having to use the rake. I've tried to encourage younger players to train themselves on it but, by and large, I get blank stares. I try to explain it's MUCH easier to learn than it was to learn pool from the get-go, as it's strictly a physical thing for opposite hand, as you already know how to play.

I've taught myself to shoot those particular shots that come up at 1pocket, to the left pocket, left handed.

I've gotten pretty good and now know I can shoot them reliably and get certain amounts of position. Not as good as my right hand stroke but good enough to escape.

It's a hugely useful skill.

Lou Figueroa

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Years ago in the room i played at we would designate one day of the week as "opposite hand day". You had to play opposite handed all-day on that day. Really comes in handy. I can't shoot lefty any more due to nerve damage from a broken neck in a car wreck. I hate using the f^*#@*g crutch but it is what it is.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I don't know yet, but I've been planning on working both hands from the beginning for the reasons you list

IMHO, the sooner, the better.

I began teaching myself when I was in the Army, @ 18. I wish I had started even sooner. At this point I play @ 70% of my right hand. But, as far as mechanics and fundamentals, my left looks almost identical to my right. The break is the only thing really lacking. I've worked on it alot but it doesn't come easily, for sure.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I've taught myself to shoot those particular shots that come up at 1pocket, to the left pocket, left handed.

I've gotten pretty good and now know I can shoot them reliably and get certain amounts of position. Not as good as my right hand stroke but good enough to escape.

It's a hugely useful skill.

Lou Figueroa

Agreed! :thumbup:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO, the sooner, the better.

I began teaching myself when I was in the Army, @ 18. I wish I had started even sooner. At this point I play @ 70% of my right hand. But, as far as mechanics and fundamentals, my left looks almost identical to my right. The break is the only thing really lacking. I've worked on it alot but it doesn't come easily, for sure.
I played Buddy once where he had to shoot lefty on all shots. He "shot my liver out" as Earl would put it.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Years ago in the room i played at we would designate one day of the week as "opposite hand day". You had to play opposite handed all-day on that day. Really comes in handy. I can't shoot lefty any more due to nerve damage from a broken neck in a car wreck. I hate using the f^*#@*g crutch but it is what it is.

Sorry to hear that, Gar. But, like you said, is what it is. Hopefully that's the worst thing left over from the accident.

I've always been HUGE on practice. And I almost always practice alone. When I began training myself to use my left, I would do what you did: at least once a week, the entire time I banged them around, it would be lefty. I can't begin to say how much it's helped my game overall. Plus, there's always been at least a small intimidation factor from time to time. When a shot comes up that most people would use the crutch, it takes a little wind out of your opponents's sails when you don't even hesitate, and make the shot opposite hand. And it's even better when you look identical to your other hand as you make it.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I played Buddy once where he had to shoot lefty on all shots. He "shot my liver out" as Earl would put it.

All ( or, at least most of ) the top players play opposite hand like God. I used to watch Sigel play righty back in the mid 70s when he came down to Tampa for the Citrus Open every year. He inspired me to work at it even harder. You, literally, could not tell the difference between his left and his right. It was phenomenal. He looked IDENTICAL righty to lefty.

Last edited:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practice

I always practice with opposite hand and like everything else the more I practice it the more comfortable it feels.

Today it came in very handy while playing straight Pool.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All ( or, at least most of ) the top players play opposite hand like God. I used to watch Sigel play righty back in the mid 70s when he came down to Tampa for the Citrus Open every year. He inspired me to work at it even harder. You, literally, could not tell the difference between his left and his right. It was phenomenal. He looked IDENTICAL righty to lefty.

I can only play those certain shots I can't reach righty. And I've taught myself how to shoot them. I cannot play most other normal shots lefty.

Funny out take -- when I payed JB for 10K, I shot a few lefty and missed several. I strolled by the sweater's sections and my backer, Mike, whispered to me, "Please don't shoot any more shots left handed." lol.

Lou Figueroa

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member

My practice sessions always involve left against right. The left is usually the first to show up, once the right finds the stroke it has more endurance.
The left hand is instinctive and flowing. The right is linear and analytical.
A pressure shot I will shoot with the hand that best fits the ball layout and the table. If there's no advantage I will just continue with the hand the cue is in.

Huge advantage being able to step into a natural stance when the other hand would be very awkward or off the crutch.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I can only play those certain shots I can't reach righty. And I've taught myself how to shoot them. I cannot play most other normal shots lefty.

Funny out take -- when I payed JB for 10K, I shot a few lefty and missed several. I strolled by the sweater's sections and my backer, Mike, whispered to me, "Please don't shoot any more shots left handed." lol.

Lou Figueroa

Damn horses. They never bet like gentlemen. They wanna win every game! ;)

Michael Andros

Silver Member
My practice sessions always involve left against right. The left is usually the first to show up, once the right finds the stroke it has more endurance.
The left hand is instinctive and flowing. The right is linear and analytical.
A pressure shot I will shoot with the hand that best fits the ball layout and the table. If there's no advantage I will just continue with the hand the cue is in.

Huge advantage being able to step into a natural stance when the other hand would be very awkward or off the crutch.

Couldn't agree more, Greg. Back in the day ( mid-20s or so ), I used to "indulge" ( we won't say in what ), get good and whacked, and spend hours in front of a large mirror on a kitchen counter top and switch back and forth, right to left until they looked identical. The mirror technique also was good for keeping my cue level. It's much much easier in a mirror. As the cue and the cue mirror image meet at the mirror, it's instantly obvious if the cue isn't level.

Man... those were the days. I didn't want much at that age... just to be the best player who ever lived. :D I never got there, but it sure wasn't for lack of trying.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot lefty when needed. But on a 9 foot table it does not eliminate shooting with the bridge stick for me. I am only 5'6".

It is an important skill, but so is the bridge.

I have played and practiced left only, years ago. I am just. Not as serious about my game now but still shoot left when needed. I only use the bridge when I can't reach the shot.

Try playing only with the rake.....:wink:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I shoot lefty when needed. But on a 9 foot table it does not eliminate shooting with the bridge stick for me. I am only 5'6".

I have played and practiced left only, years ago. I am just. Not as serious about my game now but still shoot left when needed. I only use the bridge when I can't reach the shot.

If I even touched the crutch more than once in a five year period, I would go postal! :grin-square:

I guess I'm glad I'm 6'4". In all seriousness, I don't think I've used it in at least 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
What gives most of the issue making balls opposite handed I find in players isn’t the differences in their stroke that is the big factor.

It’s the eyes I see a lot of players set their head up the same way they did for their regular hand and they are not eyes on center cue shooters which skews the shot visually for the changed alignment.

The ball and cues don’t care which hand does the swinging.....

I don’t have nearly as much high end power for accuracy righty as I do lefty. I played righty till I was about 10....by my teens I was shooting lefty predominately, in an orthodox style pendulum delivery.

Righty? Lol I look like Keith...or a monkey screwing a coconut 🤣.

But my righty chicken wing is also....a pendulum stroke.

If I put my head funny either side I’ll get funny results. Plumb head and eyes centered on cue I have no more “guessing” going on, on righty than lefty regarding alignment and aim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Michael Andros

Silver Member
What gives most of the issue making balls opposite handed I find in players isn’t the differences in their stroke that is the big factor.

It’s the eyes I see a lot of players set their head up the same way they did for their regular hand and they are not eyes on center cue shooters which skews the shot visually for the changed alignment.

The ball and cues don’t care which hand does the swinging.....

I don’t have nearly as much high end power for accuracy righty as I do lefty. I played righty till I was about 10....by my teens I was shooting lefty predominately, in an orthodox style pendulum delivery.

Righty? Lol I look like Keith...or a monkey screwing a coconut 🤣.

But my righty chicken wing is also....a pendulum stroke.

If I put my head funny either side I’ll get funny results. Plumb head and eyes centered on cue I have no more “guessing” going on, on righty than lefty regarding alignment and aim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great explanation, GG, thanks.

Michael Andros

Silver Member

CD - I tried playing with just the rake today. I ended up breaking it over my knee after @ 20 minutes. So not only did I have to give the room owner 40.00 for it, I had to slip him an extra 60.00 to keep from being barred for a month. What's your address? I need to send you a bill. :cool: