Trying to decide on a LD shaft

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I am planning on purchasing a new Schon cue in the next couple of weeks and was wondering opinions on low deflection shafts. I am looking for one that has a stiff hit. I am currently mostly considering a Mezz WX900 or OB Pro+, but I would like to hear of any that might feel better.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
My current player is a CX-48 Schon, with a 2 1/2 inch ebony mid-cue extension, with a Revo shaft with an Elkmaster tip.

The best playing combo I've ever had. I like the longer cue too, and the Revo is a stiff hit.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB Pro + is great. Is a stiff crisp hit. That 11.75mm diameter tho can get you in trouble! I found myself putting extra junk on the ball I didnt need. Switched to OB Classic +. Much more forgiving, both are great tho!

Dunno about the Mezz.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried any of those shafts?
"feel" is such a subjective thing, if you can try before you buy, I highly recomend you do that.
Personaly I would choose WX900 of those two shafts.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm currently using a WX-700 and i like it pretty well. The OB Classic+ i had did deflect a tad less but the Mezz feels waaaay better. If you've never had a 11.75/12mm Euro-taper you really outta find one you can try. I grew up on 13mm shafts and those little shafts are a totally different deal. Personally i'm not a fan. I like 12.5-12.8mm. Search out some friends that have LD's you can hit. Only way to find out.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Have you tried playing with any of the shafts you have in mind, or looking to buy sight unseen?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I am planning on purchasing a new Schon cue in the next couple of weeks and was wondering opinions on low deflection shafts. I am looking for one that has a stiff hit. I am currently mostly considering a Mezz WX900 or OB Pro+, but I would like to hear of any that might feel better.
Revo or Mezz EXPro.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea watch out for the wx900, good but way less forgiving than the wx700.

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
revo vs cuetec

My current player is a CX-48 Schon, with a 2 1/2 inch ebony mid-cue extension, with a Revo shaft with an Elkmaster tip.

The best playing combo I've ever had. I like the longer cue too, and the Revo is a stiff hit.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Video from Dr. Dave comparing Revo and Cuetec https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwytGsNl2vc

https://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/2017/sept17.pdf is also good resource to understand what are different pros and cons for LD shafts.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree. If your stroke isn't LASER straight you WILL get unwanted/excessive spin from the smaller shafts. Not for beginner/part-time player. If you have a good stroke and STAY in stroke the smaller size may be for you.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
That 11.75mm diameter tho can get you in trouble! I found myself putting extra junk on the ball I didnt need. Switched to OB Classic +. Much more forgiving, both are great tho!

If we're talking about the amount of spin produced, I don't think "less forgiving" is a thing - if you hit the same spot with both cues, they'll both produce the same amount of spin.

If we're talking about the amount of squirt produced, then of course there will be a difference - then the shaft with the most squirt will be the most forgiving of stroke errors (because its pivot length is closer to your bridge length, so backhand English works better).

pj
chgo

Last edited:

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used an OB Pro+ on my other Schon I had. I liked it but wondered if the WX900 shaft has a more stiff hit. I am used to an 11.75mm, I play with an OB 2 currently.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If your stroke isn't LASER straight you WILL get unwanted/excessive spin from the smaller shafts.
I know it seems that way, but...

Assuming their curvatures are the same, a thinner tip hits the CB in the same place as a fatter one, producing the same amount of spin. The only time a thinner tip might produce a different result than a fatter one is at the miscue limit (~half way to the CB edge) where the very edge of the tip comes into play - then a fatter tip might be able to hit slightly farther from center before miscuing.

Think of a thinner tip as being the same as the inner part of a fatter tip - the extra outer layer on the fatter tip only hits the CB on shots with near maximum spin. Otherwise it's as if they're the same tip.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Maybe consider a Lucasi Hybrid. They hit amazing, and pretty stiff, in my opinion. I usually do not like a very stiff hitting shaft, but even though the Lucasi Hybrid seemed to hit very stiff, it really helped me with my cue ball control, and even though it had a pretty stiff taper, it still felt really good when shooting closed bridged with it. I am probably not the best to answer this question though, because I do not have experience with most of the latest LD tech out there. I really want to try out the Mezz WX900 and the Jacoby Hybrid Edge shafts. I read a lot of great reviews about them. The Lucasi Hybrid is the best I ever tried though (and the pre cat 314 Predator comes in a close 2nd, in my experience). Those 2 shafts do hit very different though.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it seems that way, but...

Assuming their curvatures are the same, a thinner tip hits the CB in the same place as a fatter one, producing the same amount of spin. The only time a thinner tip might produce a different result than a fatter one is at the miscue limit (~half way to the CB edge) where the very edge of the tip comes into play - then a fatter tip might be able to hit slightly farther from center before miscuing.

Think of a thinner tip as being the same as the inner part of a fatter tip - the extra outer layer on the fatter tip only hits the CB on shots with near maximum spin. Otherwise it's as if they're the same tip.

pj
chgo
Smaller shafts tend to make people hit further from center. More spin, usually unwanted, results.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smaller shafts tend to make people hit further from center. More spin, usually unwanted, results.

I agree a smaller shaft can mess with the visualization of applying spin in a way that may cause a player to address the cue ball further from the center than it normally looks on a thicker shaft. I think that’s an issue of alignment.

But regarding your comment on needing a laser straight stroke, I feel like any unwanted deviation in stroke will affect the cue ball in equivalent amounts of undesirable effects between a thin and thick shaft. It seems if my stick deviates 3mm then my tips point of contact moves 3mm also, no matter the size of shaft. I’d guess if anything affected that (minutely), it would be tip radius and not tip diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk