Getting back into the game....what accessories?

TheYankee

Registered
Man, it's been a while. When I played years (decades? :sorry:) ago, it was usually with my dad and he had all the 'extras'. Rather than guess and spend hours looking, reading reviews, etc., I'm just going to run it by you experts:

I currently have a Pechauer Camelot II Oxford. On the way, I have a Pechauer JP06-Q. I have one shaft for each cue. I'm going to purchase a 2x4 J&J case with a stand in case I wind up with additional shafts.

Other than trying to determine what glove to get (I know there are multiple threads discussing them), would you guys mind giving me a pretty comprehensive rundown of additional items I need/should have? Specific makes and models would be great. Tip tools, shapers, chalk, shaft cleaner, etc.?

I bought the 'Unglove Fingerwrap' (click) and don't really care for it. It works perfectly, but the piece going from the thumb to the fingers just annoys me. I'll send it free of charge to the member with the most helpful response. :)

Thank you in advance.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I would want a

Last 4 ever tip tool

Towel

Bridge head (I hate searching pool facilities for things, I prefer using my equipment, and I really like my Justa Bridge)

Predator Gator Grip (I use layered tips and this thing works great to de-glaze it without changing the shape of my tip or remove material)

1 piece 1000 grit sand paper (cleans, smooths out, burnishes shaft, only new feeling shafts will do for me, mine is currently 4 years old, everyone asks how I get it so smooth)

Crazy Glue (in case tip falls off at most inopportune time)

piece of chalk (I hate going around asking employees for chalk if chalk on table is worn half way to China)

Jump Cue (if you are a jumper, I rarely jump but I still have one)

Spare shaft is always a great idea, some people will say its not needed, 2 times in my short 7-8 years of playing I have had tips come off during tournaments that were always installed by professional cue makers, it happens.

A quarter, most tournaments are flip for break instead of lag for break

PS not looking for a free glove or finger slides, its something I have never needed and doubt I would ever use, just trying to help out a fellow pool player

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would tell you to forego many of the frivolous "accessories" and spend your money on table time.

Sounds like you already have most of what you need.

You don't want to go into any respectable pool hall and be mistaken for "Gadget Man" or 007, where you whip a piece of chalk out of your hidden chalk holder in the heel of your shoe.

You already have a cue and case, so I'd have some sort of "carry bag" if your case isn't big enough to hold the following:

-Couple pieces of chalk (I use Masters, which the pool hall has)

-Towel (I like the microfiber ones)

-Some sort of tip tool: I kind of like one with a pick but somebody took mine. I have this one in my bag now:

https://www.amazon.com/Last4Ever-Tip-Tool-Dime-Radius/dp/B0158VLM2K

-Maybe a glove (if you prefer playing with them)

Speaking of your little "finger glove", I prefer them to regular gloves. I had one, but it fell apart and I've never replaced it. I would suggest not spending more than $10, or so, on a glove. They are all almost the same and the name brands go for three times what they are worth. There are several threads on here concerning cheap gloves that you can get online. I'd go with one of those.

This one is good for the money and I've bought it before:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Left...Black-Blue-Red-/322336974399?oid=132011378708

Every "pool hall" that I've ever been in has a bridge, so I'd skip buying a bridge unless I knew I was going to be playing in places that didn't have them. If you decide you need one, I'd buy a "bridge head" and then use it to slip over a house cue from where you are playing.

Prior to using a glove, I always carried a small bottle of baby powder with me. I hate playing when my cue won't glide through my bridge.

I used to carry all kinds of crap in a bag because I'd work on other people's cues in the pool hall for free. I'd replace their tips, etc. and wouldn't even charge them for the tip. I carried this bag for more than 20 years until some SOB stole it off the little table where it was sitting by where I was playing.

I've seldom had a "malfunction" with my own cue while I was playing pool. I've never had a tip fly off while I was in a big match and I've never broken anything. Carrying a lot of stuff with you is inviting some SOB to take it.

I'd suggest going to play with the basic stuff and add something if you feel you need it. Don't buy stuff in anticipation of needing it. You usually use it once or twice and then you never use it again.

Aloha.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, it's been a while. When I played years (decades? :sorry:) ago, it was usually with my dad and he had all the 'extras'. Rather than guess and spend hours looking, reading reviews, etc., I'm just going to run it by you experts:

I currently have a Pechauer Camelot II Oxford. On the way, I have a Pechauer JP06-Q. I have one shaft for each cue. I'm going to purchase a 2x4 J&J case with a stand in case I wind up with additional shafts.

Other than trying to determine what glove to get (I know there are multiple threads discussing them), would you guys mind giving me a pretty comprehensive rundown of additional items I need/should have? Specific makes and models would be great. Tip tools, shapers, chalk, shaft cleaner, etc.?

I bought the 'Unglove Fingerwrap' (click) and don't really care for it. It works perfectly, but the piece going from the thumb to the fingers just annoys me. I'll send it free of charge to the member with the most helpful response. :)

Thank you in advance.

I have all kinds of accessories but the ones that I wish I had are:

a stable stance
a stable bridge
straight and smooth stroke
good vision
nerves of steel
lots of experience

I hope you get the picture...

After you obtain the above list well...... the cue, glove, chalk, table etc...etc means very little.

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
I'm getting back into the game after a 5 year layoff and the accessory I've found I need the most is eye glasses. Good luck :thumbup:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a pair of shoes with soles on them in case the place you are in has broken glass on the floor.

other wise most places have sticks and chalk. if you need more you need more practice.

however

some chalk
a stick you can hit with
a piece of 80 grit sandpaper for your tip.
and of course your shoes.

please dont send me your worthless glove send it to an accessory fanatic care of me.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A jump cue and a cue holder ( if the place you play has none).
Some tournaments are at venues that don’t have them either.

$ is probably best spent on table time and a short lesson
to start you back on the right track.

Gadgets are fun but when your case weighs 100 lbs and
you forget half of them or they get stolen, you start to go back
to the basics anyways.

Welcome back.

TheYankee

Registered
Thank you all for the responses.

Definitely not looking for a bunch of extra stuff, just some of the things I may not be thinking about (or know about) after having been away for so long.

Thanks to those with the helpful recommendations.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I agree, too many people rather spend money on accessories than lessons or table time.

I would tell you to forego many of the frivolous "accessories" and spend your money on table time.

Sounds like you already have most of what you need.

You don't want to go into any respectable pool hall and be mistaken for "Gadget Man" or 007, where you whip a piece of chalk out of your hidden chalk holder in the heel of your shoe.

You already have a cue and case, so I'd have some sort of "carry bag" if your case isn't big enough to hold the following:

-Couple pieces of chalk (I use Masters, which the pool hall has)

-Towel (I like the microfiber ones)

-Some sort of tip tool: I kind of like one with a pick but somebody took mine. I have this one in my bag now:

https://www.amazon.com/Last4Ever-Tip-Tool-Dime-Radius/dp/B0158VLM2K

-Maybe a glove (if you prefer playing with them)

Speaking of your little "finger glove", I prefer them to regular gloves. I had one, but it fell apart and I've never replaced it. I would suggest not spending more than $10, or so, on a glove. They are all almost the same and the name brands go for three times what they are worth. There are several threads on here concerning cheap gloves that you can get online. I'd go with one of those.

This one is good for the money and I've bought it before:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Left...Black-Blue-Red-/322336974399?oid=132011378708

Every "pool hall" that I've ever been in has a bridge, so I'd skip buying a bridge unless I knew I was going to be playing in places that didn't have them. If you decide you need one, I'd buy a "bridge head" and then use it to slip over a house cue from where you are playing.

Prior to using a glove, I always carried a small bottle of baby powder with me. I hate playing when my cue won't glide through my bridge.

I used to carry all kinds of crap in a bag because I'd work on other people's cues in the pool hall for free. I'd replace their tips, etc. and wouldn't even charge them for the tip. I carried this bag for more than 20 years until some SOB stole it off the little table where it was sitting by where I was playing.

I've seldom had a "malfunction" with my own cue while I was playing pool. I've never had a tip fly off while I was in a big match and I've never broken anything. Carrying a lot of stuff with you is inviting some SOB to take it.

I'd suggest going to play with the basic stuff and add something if you feel you need it. Don't buy stuff in anticipation of needing it. You usually use it once or twice and then you never use it again.

Aloha.

TheYankee

Registered
I agree, too many people rather spend money on accessories than lessons or table time.

And that's a shame. For me, this isn't an either/or thing. Just looking for input on the typical things most folks carry with them. Lessons and table time aren't going to be pushed to the side because I bought a tip tool and some chalk.

i agree with everything said before, but I'd add shaft burnisher (eg https://www.seyberts.com/mcdermott-brown-leather-burnisher) and ferrule/shaft and maybe those small shaft cleaning fluid bottles to use with a cloth

Thank you.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, here goes

POWDER. I hate gloves,or anything else that is supposed to help.I like
powder, and unless they quit making it or make illegal I will keep using
it. If it bothers my opponent all the better. I like to use so much that
sometimes it's hard to find the cue ball for all of the white on the table.
jack

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Add maybe the pool table diagram note pad to record problem shots, to work on later. And you can write hot chick digits on too.... Matt D.