Question about Ring Game, how to apply for tournament

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
Hi guys,

I recently learn about Ring game and find it very interesting, can you please help outline some rules how the game is popularly play?

I want to hold a 9ball ring game tournament, how can I apply and what are the important factor for such tournament?

I have seen some clips but there were many players play at one table, I am thinking only 3 will play per match, what is the best arrangements?

thank you for your input.
Cuong.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

I recently learn about Ring game and find it very interesting, can you please help outline some rules how the game is popularly play?

I want to hold a 9ball ring game tournament, how can I apply and what are the important factor for such tournament?

I have seen some clips but there were many players play at one table, I am thinking only 3 will play per match, what is the best arrangements?

Cuong.
In my opinion, 3 players is not a good number for a 9-ball ring game. 2 players can easily secretly conspire against the third player - disguising safeties, etc. Ring games are best with 5-6 players. Everything is wild in a ring game - no shots need to be called. No safeties ever allowed in a ring game, and the more players playing in a ring game, the less chance a player is likely to have any incentive to disguise a safety with what appears to be a legitimate attempt. All fouls are BIH behind the headstring. All bad hits the incoming player has the option to give the shot back to the shooter that fouled where it lies. The order of the shooters needs to be randomly redrawn after every so many games, to make it fairer for all players. There are numerous other ring games rules, specific to ring games, which you need to stipulate clearly to all players before you start.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, 3 players is not a good number for a 9-ball ring game. 2 players can easily secretly conspire against the third player - disguising safeties, etc. Ring games are best with 5-6 players. Everything is wild in a ring game - no shots need to be called. No safeties ever allowed in a ring game, and the more players playing in a ring game, the less chance a player is likely to have any incentive to disguise a safety with what appears to be a legitimate attempt. All fouls are BIH behind the headstring. All bad hits the incoming player has the option to give the shot back to the shooter that fouled where it lies. The order of the shooters needs to be randomly redrawn after every so many games, to make it fairer for all players. There are numerous other ring games rules, specific to ring games, which you need to stipulate clearly to all players before you start.
Great reply. Pretty much sums the game up. Not really a tournament game. Just pure gambling. In Olathe,Ks. they did a couple ring-style tournaments where the players bought chips and when you were out of chips you were gone. They changed breaking order something like every 45min(guessing here). Worked ok but they only had two events 'cause of some "business" issues. Some bad blood after those kinda deals.

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
thank you for your replies.

I am just thinking about 3-4 player game, where winner will win all, 2nd lose 1x dollars, 3rd lose 1.5x, 4th lost 2x dollars, will this reduce chance of dumping or conspiring?

similar in the intended tournaments, winner and 2nd players will join next round.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

Cuong.

If there is more than one table available, I would do a round robin or chip tournament. Chip events are fun, everyone gets say 4 chips, do a draw, everyone plays a single game, then re-draw, loser loses a chip. You can handicap skill levels based on how many chips they get, so the best players gets 3, the worst ones get 5 for example.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there is more than one table available, I would do a round robin or chip tournament. Chip events are fun, everyone gets say 4 chips, do a draw, everyone plays a single game, then re-draw, loser loses a chip. You can handicap skill levels based on how many chips they get, so the best players gets 3, the worst ones get 5 for example.
There's a lot of Fargo chip events these days. Only played in one so far but it was a lot of fun.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

ChrisinNC has the best idea, IMHO. That's the way we play a Ring Game, here in Oklahoma. Any FUNNY STUFF can get you banned at the Pool Hall....

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only way to keep a ring game honest: Incoming shooter always has the option to refuse the shot, and make the player shoot again.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RFing Game options

Only way to keep a ring game honest: Incoming shooter always has the option to refuse the shot, and make the player shoot again.

We don't play that way, if the outgoing player made a legal shot, the incoming player has to accept it.

Maybe that was how you meant it...

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We don't play that way, if the outgoing player made a legal shot, the incoming player has to accept it.

Maybe that was how you meant it...

What if they play a two way shot, would you have to accept that as well?

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years back Accu-Stats did a few Ring Game Tournaments. They were like Poker in a way. I would look into that format. It looked fun for the players and was fun to watch...

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if they play a two way shot, would you have to accept that as well?

Playing in a Open Format & choosing to play a two-way shot is inconsistent with the format. Folks that have no integrity & don't play by the rules shouldn't be played with, especially if you are gambling.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing in a Open Format & choosing to play a two-way shot is inconsistent with the format. Folks that have no integrity & don't play by the rules shouldn't be played with, especially if you are gambling.

Goes without saying. Would never be an issue in a friendly/regular ring game among known acquaintances. But, the difference between an innocent miss that hooks the next shooter, and a suspicious stranger’s skillful acting, can often merely depend upon the mood of the observer. I’ve played in places where any shot that even smells like an intentional safety can get you accused of ‘dirty pool’, and lead to a VERY hostile situation. Thus I now favor strict/pro-type rules that are written down and leave no room for interpretation.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For a ring game tournament, it will play out just like a poker tournament. When you pay your entry fee you get a set number of poker chips.

For simplicity, I recommend ignoring the chip denominations and assigning a generic value of 1 to each chip regardless of color. The average player should start with around 10 chips. You can increase or decrease the amount if you want to handicap the tournament.

Everyone in the tournament will play at the same time and be split up equally among the tables. For example, if you have 40 players and 4 tables you start off with 10 players per table (which is more than ideal but still okay).

Assign values to each money ball (i.e. 5 ball = 1 chip, 9-ball = 2 chips). Let the tables play out and consolidate tables as players are eliminated. Every hour or so you will increase the bets (i.e 5 ball = 2 chips, 9-ball = 4 chips) to speed up the tournament.

Pay out the top 25% of the field as you would any other tournament.