Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How much does it cost?
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
fasted71465
Fast Ed
fasted71465 has a reputation beyond reputefasted71465 has a reputation beyond reputefasted71465 has a reputation beyond reputefasted71465 has a reputation beyond reputefasted71465 has a reputation beyond reputefasted71465 has a reputation beyond reputefasted71465 has a reputation beyond reputefasted71465 has a reputation beyond reputefasted71465 has a reputation beyond reputefasted71465 has a reputation beyond reputefasted71465 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-05-2018, 07:10 AM

Simple answer is.... It will cost you everything

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.

Old
  (#17)
ottersbro
AzB Silver Member
ottersbro has a reputation beyond reputeottersbro has a reputation beyond reputeottersbro has a reputation beyond reputeottersbro has a reputation beyond reputeottersbro has a reputation beyond reputeottersbro has a reputation beyond reputeottersbro has a reputation beyond reputeottersbro has a reputation beyond reputeottersbro has a reputation beyond reputeottersbro has a reputation beyond reputeottersbro has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2018, 08:04 AM

No person is ever broke doing what they love!!!
But you can be damn hungry...

Old
  (#18)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2018, 10:27 AM

I would say $1,000 a week in expenses is accurate if you are traveling alone and staying ON the road all week, hitting week night and weekend regional tournaments as well as gambling in between. Keep winning and you will be shut out of most weekly tournaments and anything but open/pro weekends, so your gamble will need to increase proportionately to stay ahead. You will have to be good enough to place 1 or 2 almost always- hard to do; or win most on whatever gambles you can find- also harder to do today.
Full time road warrior is almost an impossible dream today in the billiards world. You may be better off just hitting weekend regional tours with gambling on the side during those weekends, if you can hit enough tours in a month traveling within 4 hours then figure $300/$400 a weekend in expenses for decent quarters and food if traveling alone. You will need to book two weekend nights-Fri/Sat - I would not recommend driving 3/4 hours on a Sat. morning and expect to play into Sunday morning and be at your best.

Arrive Fri around noon, have lunch, check into your room, rest up a bit and use Fri night to gamble. if you get knocked out on a Sat. use the rest of the weekend to gamble as well if you have the $$$. If you place high or win by Sunday, and still feel chipper, perhaps lay it all out on the line in a ten ahead against a willing match. go home in the wee hours of Monday morning busted, or Flush$$$. if your flush$$, maybe stay one more night just to be safe on the road. JUST my advice from experience.

Old
  (#19)
flyrv9
AzB Silver Member
flyrv9 has a reputation beyond reputeflyrv9 has a reputation beyond reputeflyrv9 has a reputation beyond reputeflyrv9 has a reputation beyond reputeflyrv9 has a reputation beyond reputeflyrv9 has a reputation beyond reputeflyrv9 has a reputation beyond reputeflyrv9 has a reputation beyond reputeflyrv9 has a reputation beyond reputeflyrv9 has a reputation beyond reputeflyrv9 has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2018, 11:17 AM

If I were doing it I would, for starters:

Start close to home - saves on motel and other costs.
Have a reliable vehicle that gets good mileage.
Travel with others - saves $ and gives you a little security.
$100/night is about the cheapest motel you'll find anytime.
Research places and your competition before you go.
Get a sponsor; or 2 or 3.
Get in shape and stay in shape.
Make each trip a business trip. Keep all receipts and account of all expenses, mileage etc.
Be adequately financed before you start.
Plan trips to string tournaments together.

Old
  (#20)
easy-e
AzB Silver Member
easy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

07-05-2018, 11:54 AM

I’ve done so much cross country traveling and I’ve always been able to stay places much cheaper than 100/night. They’re not super nice, but they’re out there. You can also Airbnb it if you plan well. Plenty of people offering up beds for super cheap.

Well -
Old
  (#21)
Ken_4fun
AzB Silver Member
Ken_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond repute

Well - - 07-05-2018, 12:13 PM

Sometimes you can learn from a joke.

What does a large pizza and pool player have in common?

Neither one can feed a family of four.

But on the other hand, I look at my friend Skyler Woodward. I started playing pool with him when he was 14-15 year old. Strong player, but not a monster player until later, after he had "seasoned" a little on the road. Is he making a ton of money? No, but he has played pool all over the world, represented the USA a couple time for the Mosconi Cup, won numerous titles.

Some folks aren't about the money. I think Skyler is one of those, he just loves to play.

We all leave this world the same way we came in, with nothing.

JMO

Ken

Current cues - Balabushka, Gus Szamboti, Gus Szamboti Hoppe, Schick, Pfd, BHQ Butterfly, Rick Howard Sneaky Pete and Rick Howard J/B.

Cases - Jack Justis, Fellini, Fellini, Fellini, JB Case.

Watchez is the teacher

" Pool was once my passion, then it was my job, and now it is my sentence."

Mark Wilson's Lindenwood University? Soon to be renamed to the Mosconi Cup Breeding Factory - KoolKat9Lives

becoming better
Old
  (#22)
jcpoolgod
AzB Silver Member
jcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond repute

becoming better - 07-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_4fun View Post
Sometimes you can learn from a joke.

What does a large pizza and pool player have in common?

Neither one can feed a family of four.

But on the other hand, I look at my friend Skyler Woodward. I started playing pool with him when he was 14-15 year old. Strong player, but not a monster player until later, after he had "seasoned" a little on the road. Is he making a ton of money? No, but he has played pool all over the world, represented the USA a couple time for the Mosconi Cup, won numerous titles.

Some folks aren't about the money. I think Skyler is one of those, he just loves to play.

We all leave this world the same way we came in, with nothing.

JMO

Ken
Thanks Ken, See this is my goal. beyond the money involved with expenses. I am more concerned with what this will do to my game. Playing against these types of players will make me better and teach me a lot. I like skyler, not only is he a great shooter, he seems like a cool guy. It would be cool to be friends with players like this. See the good news about my job is its 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. And i earn 40 hours a week on my off days. So while Im out shooting I still am earning a little bit of money regardless of my playing expenses/winnings.

My ultimate goal doesn't have too much to do with earning money but more to do with being a better version of myself. And getting better at a game I love. This plan will allow me to take myself out of a preconceived "box" of how good I am. And let me see how good I really am. I am not a world class player yet. I'm like a 15 yo skyler haha...

optimism
Old
  (#23)
jcpoolgod
AzB Silver Member
jcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond repute

optimism - 07-05-2018, 02:06 PM

All in all it would be sweet to become better at this game that we all love.

At this point in time I have $500 in credit card payments a month. Just to get back to zero. I also spend $500 a month on rent. If I can pay down these cards and get a duplex with maybe a roommate on my half. That could be a thousand dollar swing or more.

So $1000+ more dollars a month will go a long way towards playing 2 weeks out of the month. Plus I have a car payment with full coverage insurance which once I have that paid off will be another 400$ subtracted from my monthly expenses. So if I illiminate All these expenses and Add a few hundred income from a roommate I can basically do this plan at a Push.

Old
  (#24)
us820
AzB Silver Member
us820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2018, 02:19 PM

How old are you?

Old
  (#25)
Poodle of Doom
AzB Silver Member
Poodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpoolgod View Post
All in all it would be sweet to become better at this game that we all love.

At this point in time I have $500 in credit card payments a month. Just to get back to zero. I also spend $500 a month on rent. If I can pay down these cards and get a duplex with maybe a roommate on my half. That could be a thousand dollar swing or more.

So $1000+ more dollars a month will go a long way towards playing 2 weeks out of the month. Plus I have a car payment with full coverage insurance which once I have that paid off will be another 400$ subtracted from my monthly expenses. So if I illiminate All these expenses and Add a few hundred income from a roommate I can basically do this plan at a Push.
So, you're basically buying into this dream on credit? Because that's how the depression happened.

Old
  (#26)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-05-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpoolgod View Post
How much does it cost for you guys to live the pool player life, going from tournament to tournament. Is there anyone out here that can give me an accurate or estimated costs of life on road? I want to try this out.

Any other things you can help me out with? Tips for saving money? etc
It all depends on how you want to travel. A nice hotel in most areas is $150 or sleep in your car at a rest stop. The car option is free in summer but you may need to start it to run the heater in winter. So lodging is somewhere between zero and $45,000. I suspect food, transportation and income have the same basic range of variation.

It sounds like a pretty expensive fantasy camp to me. For that kind of money you can probably be a cowboy or race car driver or maybe a goat herder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old
  (#27)
RiverCity
AzB Silver Member
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
...It sounds like a pretty expensive fantasy camp to me. For that kind of money you can probably be a cowboy or race car driver or maybe a goat herder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
For much less money than that, I was able to take the time off work to practice, travel to, and win the 33rd Annual World Sarcasm Championship, held in Rio de Jeneiro back in 1996.

Dont let these naysayers dissuade you, I found out that sometimes, it really is worth chasing the pipe dream!

Player: Joss w/314-3
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Old
  (#28)
easy-e
AzB Silver Member
easy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

07-05-2018, 03:01 PM

Consider pulling a small camper. Weekly and monthly rates are very affordable all over the country.

Old
  (#29)
Tin Man
AzB Silver Member

Tin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2018, 04:23 PM

800 Fargo rating. That's the skill level needed to make a profit travelling on the tournament trail.

650 or lower Fargo rating. There will be 10 players your speed or more and a few quite a bit better in every event you play. No chance.

650-700 Fargo rating. You will on average break even on local tournaments including expenses. Unfortunately there won't be soft local tournaments 7 days a week so you will still be losing thousands a month on the road.

700-750 Fargo rating. Welcome to 'no man's land'. You will face insurmountable handicaps in local tournaments or be denied entry altogether with the growing number that say "Fargorate < 650 only". And in the larger regional tournaments with bigger prize pools you will be facing a number of top players making it very difficult to get to the final four where the calcutta and lion's share of the prize money is. Finding tournaments with a positive expectation will be difficult and probably only possible occasionally, again, not nearly enough to support a daily existence on the road.

750-800. First of all, this is a very hard level to reach. Many players strive their entire life to play this well and very few do. But if you make it, congratulations! Now you have a good chance to show a profit on strong regional tournaments. If you travel domestically in the US and play full time, possibly picking up a sponsor or two, and play your heart out, you now have a legitimate shot to cover your expenses. Most years you won't show a profit, but there is always a chance you'll catch lightning in a bottle and win a major and end up +10-20K for the year.

Gambling. No. Internet, economy, Fargorate, and lack of local players that are dead money donating. If you have a rich backer that likes bad investments and no sense of loyalty you might break even on a few matches and essentially win a few thousand from your backer before they lose interest. But nothing reliable, sustainable, or scalable.

So you really have two options:

1. Bet your life that you can be one of 10-20 players historically that can eclipse 800 Fargorate, be broke, homeless, and hungry for a few decades, and end up at 55 with fading eyesight and stamina and facing further decades of hardship with nothing to show for it.

2. Get an education, a good job, and earn money by contributing to society. From there you can buy a home with room for a pool table, practice in your basement while listening to music, and travel to tournaments and match up with players as much as you want to (even if you're a slight loser overall).

Personally when I was 18 I was playing great but I saw the road ahead and opted for option two. I have managed to climb my Fargorate to 740 playing at home, regionally, and at a few big tournaments a year. I've had some strong results on all fronts at times, but nothing that would come close to replacing my income. I just got done with a nice practice session, ran 78 balls which feels good but is a long way from the hundreds I need to feel great. And I'm rearranging things so I can try to hit 4 majors a year in addition to the weekend tournaments I can drive to. Best of all, I have three wonderful children that love me even when I dog it. And my 11 year old daughter loves to play with me and has a better stroke than I do. This, sir, is the NUTS.

Old
  (#30)
us820
AzB Silver Member
us820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
800 Fargo rating. That's the skill level needed to make a profit travelling on the tournament trail.

650 or lower Fargo rating. There will be 10 players your speed or more and a few quite a bit better in every event you play. No chance.

650-700 Fargo rating. You will on average break even on local tournaments including expenses. Unfortunately there won't be soft local tournaments 7 days a week so you will still be losing thousands a month on the road.

700-750 Fargo rating. Welcome to 'no man's land'. You will face insurmountable handicaps in local tournaments or be denied entry altogether with the growing number that say "Fargorate < 650 only". And in the larger regional tournaments with bigger prize pools you will be facing a number of top players making it very difficult to get to the final four where the calcutta and lion's share of the prize money is. Finding tournaments with a positive expectation will be difficult and probably only possible occasionally, again, not nearly enough to support a daily existence on the road.

750-800. First of all, this is a very hard level to reach. Many players strive their entire life to play this well and very few do. But if you make it, congratulations! Now you have a good chance to show a profit on strong regional tournaments. If you travel domestically in the US and play full time, possibly picking up a sponsor or two, and play your heart out, you now have a legitimate shot to cover your expenses. Most years you won't show a profit, but there is always a chance you'll catch lightning in a bottle and win a major and end up +10-20K for the year.

Gambling. No. Internet, economy, Fargorate, and lack of local players that are dead money donating. If you have a rich backer that likes bad investments and no sense of loyalty you might break even on a few matches and essentially win a few thousand from your backer before they lose interest. But nothing reliable, sustainable, or scalable.

So you really have two options:

1. Bet your life that you can be one of 10-20 players historically that can eclipse 800 Fargorate, be broke, homeless, and hungry for a few decades, and end up at 55 with fading eyesight and stamina and facing further decades of hardship with nothing to show for it.

2. Get an education, a good job, and earn money by contributing to society. From there you can buy a home with room for a pool table, practice in your basement while listening to music, and travel to tournaments and match up with players as much as you want to (even if you're a slight loser overall).

Personally when I was 18 I was playing great but I saw the road ahead and opted for option two. I have managed to climb my Fargorate to 740 playing at home, regionally, and at a few big tournaments a year. I've had some strong results on all fronts at times, but nothing that would come close to replacing my income. I just got done with a nice practice session, ran 78 balls which feels good but is a long way from the hundreds I need to feel great. And I'm rearranging things so I can try to hit 4 majors a year in addition to the weekend tournaments I can drive to. Best of all, I have three wonderful children that love me even when I dog it. And my 11 year old daughter loves to play with me and has a better stroke than I do. This, sir, is the NUTS.
Great post

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: