Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
enrocc
AzB Bronze Member
enrocc is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

07-06-2018, 10:36 AM

Best advice in the thread. Sometimes the best dream is actually reality.

Old
  (#32)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)

ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2018, 10:52 AM

Well, if you're going to be out and about anyways

Why not sell some products and become a dealer. You can make individuals sales to other players, or score bigger and sign up a few pool rooms. You get dealer prices from me for TZAR Tips, Magic Chalk, and TIP CLIPZ. Plus, whatever you don't sell, I will buy back from you, including the shipping costs.

Heck, an extra couple hundo a month can't hurt

and yes, chase the dream. If I could play pro baseball, even in the minor leagues, for a day, I'd write a check for $10K right now. Instead, I play in an over 50 league with a bunch of other guys who never made it, and in most cases, never had a shot to begin with

It's the journey,and not always about the destination

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#33)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpoolgod View Post
How much does it cost for you guys to live the pool player life, going from tournament to tournament. Is there anyone out here that can give me an accurate or estimated costs of life on road? I want to try this out.

Any other things you can help me out with? Tips for saving money? etc
If you want to do it. Do it.

Don't let other people's fear keep you from doing something you want to.

There are ways to do this on the cheap. I don't know where you live but iirc you used to live in Cali and then Washington state right? Sorry if I have you confused with someone else.

Immersion is the best. I drove around in my 1st get tundra (2001) with a topper on the back and a real twin mattress. I'd stay at national park campgrounds in between cities for $15-20/night - they have showers and restrooms. The real mattress is key. RV Mattresses/air mattresses/camping mattresses suck. I heard recently though that national parks may have raised their camping rates. In that case I would just stay at state park or BLM campgrounds.

Then spend money on a real hotel room when you are playing and need the sleep/shower etc...

Stay sober so you can drive after a night of playing. It's pretty cool to play until 2-2:30 in the am at some bar and have a pocket full of $5 bills and then just get in the truck and head out of town to the next camp spot, get there, watch the sun come up and then sleep for a few hours. Make sure you bring a fishing pole

You can probably buy a used pickup in good shape with 100K miles fairly cheap and sell it when you are done for minimum loss. It used to be that every tournament you went to had several RVs and trucks with campers in the parking lot because many players used to travel tournament to tournament this way.

In your situation it's completely doable. Areas like Phoenix and Denver have a lot of local weekly tournaments. It might make sense to go somewhere with good action and set up a second base of operations. Then when you're not in the field you can just live there and get in a second local pool scene. This will give you a lot of new players to compete with. Then travel to tournaments from whichever 'home' is closer to the event. If you book flights in advance you can fly anywhere in the country for less than $200.

If I were going to do this I would hit up the west coast swing events that are going on now, the Wyoming Open, the Junior Norris in Texas, The Dave Peonia in Concord, CA and the Rumrunner in Las Vegas for sure. If you can play in a BCA league and get qualified to play in the BCA regional events thats another venue to play in.

If you are a good player and play well for the weekend there are enough amateurs in these tournaments that you can cash if you get a decent draw.

Take the west coast swing events, for example, even though there are top pros there is almost always a tough amateur in the top 4-5 spots. This year Chris McDaniel from Denver is doing well in the West Coast Swing one pocket. A couple years ago local player Jason Williams got in the finals of the 10-ball.

The experience is priceless. It will help your pool game and you'll meet a lot of great pool players - pro and amateur both - that you will run into all over the country. It's a lot of fun to hang out at these tournaments too.

This is definitely a west coast centric post. If you're not in the west finding campgrounds and things might be much harder.

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Buying memories not money
Old
  (#34)
jcpoolgod
AzB Silver Member
jcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond repute

Buying memories not money - 07-06-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle of Doom View Post
So, you're basically buying into this dream on credit? Because that's how the depression happened.
No I didn't buy into the dream by using credit. I just racked up my credit cards (15k worth) just by living my life.(but now I'm so anti credit cards) Now my new job I earn 100k a year and I have 6 months off that's why I think I can go out and do this at little expense to me, without breaking the bank and living the poor road player life. Even if this "dream" costs me $1000 a week I will still have 40-50 k left after taxes to pay for life. I am 36 years old and I'll probably never get the chance to do this again. I'm buying memories.

Old
  (#35)
jcpoolgod
AzB Silver Member
jcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond reputejcpoolgod has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2018, 11:54 AM

I've already lost everything. This new job and life on the road has already ruined my relationship now I'm single and free to do it all.

Old
  (#36)
jcpoolgod
AzB Silver Member

07-06-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack View Post

There are ways to do this on the cheap. I don't know where you live but iirc you used to live in Cali and then Washington state right? Sorry if I have you confused with someone else.

Immersion is the best. I drove around in my 1st get tundra (2001) with a topper on the back and a real twin mattress. I'd stay at national park campgrounds in between cities for $15-20/night - they have showers and restrooms. The real mattress is key. RV Mattresses/air mattresses/camping mattresses suck. I heard recently though that national parks may have raised their camping rates. In that case I would just stay at state park or BLM campgrounds.

Then spend money on a real hotel room when you are playing and need the sleep/shower etc...

Stay sober so you can drive after a night of playing. It's pretty cool to play until 2-2:30 in the am at some bar and have a pocket full of $5 bills and then just get in the truck and head out of town to the next camp spot, get there, watch the sun come up and then sleep for a few hours. Make sure you bring a fishing pole

You can probably buy a used pickup in good shape with 100K miles fairly cheap and sell it when you are done for minimum loss. It used to be that every tournament you went to had several RVs and trucks with campers in the parking lot because many players used to travel tournament to tournament this way.

In your situation it's completely doable. Areas like Phoenix and Denver have a lot of local weekly tournaments. It might make sense to go somewhere with good action and set up a second base of operations. Then when you're not in the field you can just live there and get in a second local pool scene. This will give you a lot of new players to compete with. Then travel to tournaments from whichever 'home' is closer to the event. If you book flights in advance you can fly anywhere in the country for less than $200.

If I were going to do this I would hit up the west coast swing events that are going on now, the Wyoming Open, the Junior Norris in Texas, The Dave Peonia in Concord, CA and the Rumrunner in Las Vegas for sure. If you can play in a BCA league and get qualified to play in the BCA regional events thats another venue to play in.

If you are a good player and play well for the weekend there are enough amateurs in these tournaments that you can cash if you get a decent draw.

Take the west coast swing events, for example, even though there are top pros there is almost always a tough amateur in the top 4-5 spots. This year Chris McDaniel from Denver is doing well in the West Coast Swing one pocket. A couple years ago local player Jason Williams got in the finals of the 10-ball.

The experience is priceless. It will help your pool game and you'll meet a lot of great pool players - pro and amateur both - that you will run into all over the country. It's a lot of fun to hang out at these tournaments too.

This is definitely a west coast centric post. If you're not in the west finding campgrounds and things might be much harder.
Great insite! This sounds like a ton of fun. I currently live in Idaho. But I work in ND.

Old
  (#37)
Poodle of Doom
AzB Silver Member
Poodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpoolgod View Post
No I didn't buy into the dream by using credit. I just racked up my credit cards (15k worth) just by living my life.(but now I'm so anti credit cards) Now my new job I earn 100k a year and I have 6 months off that's why I think I can go out and do this at little expense to me, without breaking the bank and living the poor road player life. Even if this "dream" costs me $1000 a week I will still have 40-50 k left after taxes to pay for life. I am 36 years old and I'll probably never get the chance to do this again. I'm buying memories.
You said you were going to pay off the credit cards. From there you made it sound like you were going to use that to finance this whole deal. Don't do that. Pay it off, sure. Use it to finance this? No deal.

Old
  (#38)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2018, 04:44 PM

If you can find a guy or two that are already doing it, you can share expenses and it gets pretty reasonable to get by. Plus , the safety in numbers is a nice feeling. Just don't get with any flakes who might get you in prison.
40 years ago, some night managers wouldl let you rent a room for 10 bucks for 5 or 6 hours of sleep and a shower.
They give you a room someone left early from and put you on the list for last with housekeeping. Best time to go in is about 5 to 6 am
Not sure if they still do this but for 20 I would guess someone would.

Old
  (#39)
us820
AzB Silver Member
us820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2018, 06:04 PM

Well the 100k job at 36 changes everything.You have 5-10 years of crisp eyes left.Do it.

Old
  (#40)
ShortBusRuss
Short Bus Russ - C Player
ShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us820 View Post
Well the 100k job at 36 changes everything.You have 5-10 years of crisp eyes left.Do it.
Meh. Hindsight being 20/20, I'd say if he has a 100K job at 36, I'd be dumping 30K a year of it into my 401k. More, if I could afford it. And just play local weekend events.

Pool is kinda dying, and all things being equal, if it IS still alive in 20 years, I'd like to have the money to go and watch pretty much any top tier event in the world I want. Sweating action matches in Manila, having tickets to every day of the finals of the World Snooker Championship finals.

Pool is just one of those things you either have the talent for, or you don't. If you just don't see the edge of the ball crystal clear at 8 1/2 feet, then your skill level is permanently capped. If your muscle memory is not at the level of at least a decent college level athlete, you'll have to practice constantly to stay at a good speed. Some players just don't have a strong adrenaline response to pressure situations, and it's totally a biological thing. These players don't get any waiver in their stroke because their mind is fighting to dampen the effect of adrenaline making their muscles witch during the stroke. Practicing 12 hours a day doesn't change that.

My opinion has changed on this, but in the end, I came to the realization that a person of only modest talent can practice their brains out and throw a scare into a top pro once in a while (I had Scott Frost down 5-0, 6-0 in back-to-back games of One Pocket this year at DCC, dammit!), but to be out there crushing cookies day in and day out, you just have to have it in you from the start. There are actual physiological differences between us and them.

And if you have it, you tend to KNOW you have it, very early on. And even if you DO have more than your average share of talent, I believe if life didn't work out a way for you to put in heavy practice in your 20's, then your average speed tops out at a certain level. (Though your temporary top speed tends to adhere to your innate natural talent level..)

For a working stiff, I just think it's more likely to beat a pro when you got a table at home, and the only way that is gonna happen, is by looking out for one's financial future. I know that OP is not gonna follow my advice, but there it is.And this is from a guy that ran a 5 pack in 9 ball within my first year of playing seriously, ran 80 in snooker sometime within my first year of seeing a snooker table, and has run 7 points in 3 cushion, having never really studied the game, and just working off "seeing" the angles.

I only say that to show.. I actually have quite a bit of natural ability, and found it EXTREMELY difficult to compete effectively at any point where I did not have my own table, and even THEN, it required massive amounts of practice. This may be more due to my lack of muscle memory, though.. Someone who has that more in spades might be able to make more of a go of it.

Last edited by ShortBusRuss; 07-06-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Old
  (#41)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2018, 06:46 PM

If you sleep in a tree and just walk everywhere and eat the air itís cheap af! But your probably more the glamping gotta bathe and eat meat and such Iíll bet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old
  (#42)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
07-06-2018, 07:43 PM

If you don't have bills at home and don't mind sleeping in your car often...and don't care about tomorrow and don't mind wearing the same clothes multiple times between washing and carrying all your shit with you all the time and don't have any losses...

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#43)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
07-06-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
It all depends on how you want to travel. A nice hotel in most areas is $150 or sleep in your car at a rest stop. The car option is free in summer but you may need to start it to run the heater in winter. So lodging is somewhere between zero and $45,000. I suspect food, transportation and income have the same basic range of variation.

It sounds like a pretty expensive fantasy camp to me. For that kind of money you can probably be a cowboy or race car driver or maybe a goat herder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Race car driver is a no-go. I had a buddy who was invited to join a real big domestic race team- open wheel, step down from f1, I forget what the class name was- and he had to bring like 150k in sponsor money with him.

Ow

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Vanlife
Old
  (#44)
jcpoolgod
AzB Silver Member

Vanlife - 07-12-2018, 01:51 PM

I think I'm going to get a sweet van so I can do this. I will save tons of money

Old
  (#45)
jcpoolgod
AzB Silver Member

07-12-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack View Post

Great advice! It sounds super fun.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: