Secret to breaking

hayes1699

Registered
Joe Tucker's breaking video gives great tips, one of which is snapping and leading with your elbow not your wrist (slingshot effect - elbow snaps, wrist slingshots). I cut a together a video illustrating these fundamentals. Joe notes that most breakers either snap their elbow in to their body OR away from their body. The first two examples are inner snaps, the third is outer.

https://youtu.be/ah-MOyBdG2Q

Some other key fundamentals all these breakers use:

• stand straight up, don't move body forward
• shoot down on the ball
• strong and secure bridge hand

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Tucker's breaking video gives great tips, one of which is snapping and leading with your elbow not your wrist (slingshot effect - elbow snaps, wrist slingshots). I cut a together a video illustrating these fundamentals. Joe notes that most breakers either snap their elbow in to their body OR away from their body. The first two examples are inner snaps, the third is outer.

• shoot down on the ball
They're using the BreakRack by AZ's own Ceebee. Great training tool.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best Pool Gizmo Ever. Helped my break a lot. In 30 minutes you can hit 60 + Breaks...
He (Charlie) plays golf where i hang out. He's a good guy. The BR was/is a helluva idea.

Last edited:

nibrobus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Tucker's breaking video gives great tips, one of which is snapping and leading with your elbow not your wrist (slingshot effect - elbow snaps, wrist slingshots).

This is the best description of the power break stroke that I've seen or heard. I've studied and practiced the break a lot over the last year but still have bouts of inconsistency when trying to generate more power. I could not figure out what separated my good days from my bad days but you just hit it on the head. On my good days I would "lead with the elbow" naturally but on my bad days my wrist was getting "ahead" of my elbow.

I just hit about a half dozen breaks on my home table visualizing leading with my elbow and the power difference is immediately noticeable, at least another 2-3 mph with the same amount of effort. Thanks to you and Mr. Joe Tucker for helping us take another step towards breaking like SVB :thumbup:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This is the best description of the power break stroke that I've seen or heard. I've studied and practiced the break a lot over the last year but still have bouts of inconsistency when trying to generate more power. I could not figure out what separated my good days from my bad days but you just hit it on the head. On my good days I would "lead with the elbow" naturally but on my bad days my wrist was getting "ahead" of my elbow.

I just hit about a half dozen breaks on my home table visualizing leading with my elbow and the power difference is immediately noticeable, at least another 2-3 mph with the same amount of effort. Thanks to you and Mr. Joe Tucker for helping us take another step towards breaking like SVB :thumbup:
Sounds like "leading with the elbow" is what I've described as breaking with the whole arm - by straightening it ("standing up") to make a longer "lever" and using the shoulder muscles to help drive it. Many (most?) power breakers do that - take a look at Dr. Dave's analysis: https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/break/advice/

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

• shoot down on the ball
FYI, lots of good break technique advice can be found in the videos, articles, and info on the following resource page:

break technique advice

Check it out,
Dave

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
more moving

Probably butchering his name after too many years but Colin Colypso, unsure of spelling on either name and the last may be completely wrong, anyway, he delved into getting a faster break. To put it briefly, get more body parts moving.

Straightening the knees from a starting bend, a little body twist, shoulder, elbow, and wrist involved, I think he picked up two or three miles an hour.

Accuracy is probably more to be desired for most breaks and I took some steam off of my bar table break after noticing the first couple balls to go in pockets came out just as quick. I generally made a ball or two, had a four ball break in barbox eight ball for awhile, occasionally just three, but when four balls were off the table before I shot it sure made for a different and much easier game!

A thirteen or fourteen mm shaft, a two bit piece or flatter crown, hitting the cue ball and object ball exactly where you intend to, These things are likely to do more good than a lot of body motion. Aside from anything else, you can hurt something, as in injure yourself, trying to get a maximum speed break.

Hu

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I tried that elbow snapping, even though im not sure if i even was doing it right,
when my swing was accurate and controlled i made a ball on 4 to 5 straight break shots

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
FYI, lots of good break technique advice can be found in the videos, articles, and info on the following resource page:

break technique advice

Check it out,
Dave

Everyone wants to do something better, in 2019 there are books, how too videos, and last personal instruction on most subjects.

The one thing few students are willing to invest to do anything in life great is their time. Be it make cold call in sales to developer prospects, or spending time practing techniques they learned. Like table time practing, not playing but practicing something like a break 100 times in a single day.

I like to say their are two kind of people in life, talkers who accomplish little or zero, and doers who may not win a race, but they finish the race, because they go out and ran the entire course.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here ya go:groucho: This is basically what I do.
Power Breaking Instruction

Probably butchering his name after too many years but Colin Colypso, unsure of spelling on either name and the last may be completely wrong, anyway, he delved into getting a faster break. To put it briefly, get more body parts moving.

Straightening the knees from a starting bend, a little body twist, shoulder, elbow, and wrist involved, I think he picked up two or three miles an hour.

Accuracy is probably more to be desired for most breaks and I took some steam off of my bar table break after noticing the first couple balls to go in pockets came out just as quick. I generally made a ball or two, had a four ball break in barbox eight ball for awhile, occasionally just three, but when four balls were off the table before I shot it sure made for a different and much easier game!

A thirteen or fourteen mm shaft, a two bit piece or flatter crown, hitting the cue ball and object ball exactly where you intend to, These things are likely to do more good than a lot of body motion. Aside from anything else, you can hurt something, as in injure yourself, trying to get a maximum speed break.

Hu