Your thoughts on the joy chinese 8 ball masters being decided by shootout?

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find hill-hill to be exciting and do not need the game reduced to a drill shot exercise to get my interest.
The World Pool Series has had a number of matches decided by shootout this weekend. Although exciting, I prefer to see the match settled by the strategy and skill that culminated in a hill-hill game rather than a shotmaking shootout.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I like 'win by two'.....no cap.
If a match went WAY over time.....the tension would be awesome.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ridiculous way to end such a seemingly prestigious event.

Well, seeing how they had this 8 ball skill shot all worked out beforehand, kind of makes one wonder if they didn't pre-plan the 11-11 tie score so they could play out the match winning decider as an exhibition....kind of makes ya go hmmmmmm:scratchhead::scratchhead: over here that would be called a saver and secretly split the prize money 50/50 later....seeing how it was still a tied score at the end of the match.

Last edited:

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Similar to the World Cup being decided by a shoot out. Tons of drama, easy for the commoner to understand, but so different from an actual match that it's hard for the purist in me to like it. Def must see Tv but not the way I'd want to end an event.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Similar to the World Cup being decided by a shoot out. Tons of drama, easy for the commoner to understand, but so different from an actual match that it's hard for the purist in me to like it. Def must see Tv but not the way I'd want to end an event.
At least the WC has overtime before the shoot-out phase begins. To stop such a great match at 140min(?) and go straight to the crazy cut shot is nonsense. Seriously, did the promoters get a cut-rate deal on the venue and had to give it up for a ping-pong match? Idiotic in the extreme.

Isaac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the shoot out, however maybe instead of 5 identical shots, it would be better to have N different hard shots - few rail shots, long thin cuts, long straight-in with CB between the jaws of corner pocket, etc.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
So its really not a race to 11 but a race to 11 if you win by 2?
On the skill shots I wonder if he scratched after making the 8 does the shot still count???

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thinking that there is going to be more of this kind of thing,
as you can see it is easy to do, easy money.... right?

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I'm a convert. I think it's exciting, and I like that both players get a chance to win the match. It adds drama which pool can lack at times. It's radically different that what we're used to so I know a lot of the old curmudgeons around here will be opposed. That's ok, but it's something that I find is fan friendly that pool needs. I do think it could maybe be tweaked a bit with different types of shots etc.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I like it. Chinese 8 ball really is a great game. It has shown us how accurate some players are and some of our very best are not on those tables. I hope to see something held here in the US. Perhaps a few of these tables will get brought over and set up somewhere. :smile:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why even call it a race at all? Just say:" Ok guys here's the deal; we're gonna play for 140min. Whoever is ahead at that time wins. If its tied we go to a shoot-out." Why do they even call it best-of-37 when they know full well the match will never go that far. To me its just nuts that a tournament that does everything else(opening ceremony,venue, equipment,etc.) right would opt for such a phony, contrived ending. I guess now if a one-hole match at Derby goes too long they should just shoot spot-shots or banks for the win? Sounds stupid right?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a convert. I think it's exciting, and I like that both players get a chance to win the match. It adds drama which pool can lack at times. It's radically different that what we're used to so I know a lot of the old curmudgeons around here will be opposed. That's ok, but it's something that I find is fan friendly that pool needs. I do think it could maybe be tweaked a bit with different types of shots etc.
"i like that both players get a chance to win". WHAT are you trying to say? That by playing a race one player DOESN'T have chance to win? BTW, i like the insertion of "curmudgeon". You MIGHT be the only person on hear dat nows there coputir/fone has a spelchekker.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
"i like that both players get a chance to win". WHAT are you trying to say? That by playing a race one player DOESN'T have chance to win? BTW, i like the insertion of "curmudgeon". You MIGHT be the only person on hear dat nows there coputir/fone has a spelchekker.

I'm saying that when a set goes hill-hill odds are pretty good at the professional level, particularly in 8 ball, that only 1 guy is seeing the table in the final rack. I like that both players get to shoot for the win. Yeah it's kind of out there, but I like it so far.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching the same shot over and over again is a little boring, so how about a game of HORSE instead? It could be really interesting having the pros try to out-do each other with a variety of crazy hard shots.

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
"pool is dying" (common AZ phrase)

"there is no money in pool" (common AZ phrase)

** organization puts money into pool, tries new things to generate and keep a paying audience, it's working**

"look at this stupid stuff, what a joke, get pool back to the way it was (dying and broke)"

Just my $0.02, but they are putting a different product out there and funding it, why on earth would they follow the tired and failing business model the US has tried over and over and over again?