Johan ruijsink usa captain 2017

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's so wrong, maybe Trump won't give him a VISA.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
This is..

This has got to be the stupidest shit I've heard in a long time...

Jaden

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Looks like I posted in the wrong thread, so, to repeat myself:

While Johann is a proven winner and a very highly respected instructor, there are a few reasons that this choice seems unusual, and I'm, for the moment, happy to dismiss the issue of conflict of interests --- a topic for another day.

This is surely a Matchroom choice, and suggests that Matchroom thinks that team unity and good "game day management" is all it takes to maximize performance in the Mosconi. This couldn't be further from the truth, and in my opinion, Coach Wilson provided both, though perhaps a bit less effectively than Johann can.

Europe has won seven straight Mosconi events because they are superior to the US in every category but the break:

Europe pockets balls better
Europe plays better patterns
Europe plays better position
Europe plays better safeties
Europe plays kick shots better
Europe employs more two-way shots
Europe is superior in general tactics

What it all adds up to is that out-breaking Europe by a whole lot is the only real path to victory for Team USA these days. While it's certainly possible that it could happen, it is not very likely.

Unless he's moving to the US for much of the year to work with US players, what will Johann do to narrow the gap in skills between Team USA and Team Europe and how will he accomplish it? How will he know which wild cards to pick without seeing American players up close? How will he oversee the development of the players in area of weakness?

Is this move by Matchroom just for show? On the surface, it looks pretty ridiculous, but I'll retract everything I've said if Johann will live in the US for a substantial portion of 2017 and work closely face-to-face with Mosconi hopefuls.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm more than a little surprised myself, but I wish Johann luck in finding the right answers for creating a winning team. No question he has proven he can do it with Team Europe. Does seem strange though having him now coach the opposition team. That said I'm willing to lend my support to him if asked. It does create an interesting dynamic for this years MC.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm more than a little surprised myself, but I wish Johann luck in finding the right answers for creating a winning team. No question he has proven he can do it with Team Europe. Does seem strange though having him now coach the opposition team. That said I'm willing to lend my support to him if asked. It does create an interesting dynamic for this years MC.

Agreed. Supporting our new coach is the main order of business now.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Very classy response, Jay....
...but I am extremely disappointed that they didn't accept your offer.

...and it seems kinda funny that American team decisions are made from the other side
of the pond.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ignorant, stupid, tone deaf, clueless choice.

Not JR, MR.

Why on God's good green Simonis covered Earth would they ever think we'd want a European leading a USA squad?

Lou Figueroa
although he
did sign up

Last edited:
Ignorant, stupid, tone deaf, clueless choice.

Not JR, MR.

Why on God's good green Simonis covered Earth would they ever think we'd want a European leading a USA squad?

Lou Figueroa
although he
did sign up

Because an American can't do it?

Very good move, this. He brings presence and gravitas - something some of the other candidates lacked in spades.

Looks like I posted in the wrong thread, so, to repeat myself:

While Johann is a proven winner and a very highly respected instructor, there are a few reasons that this choice seems unusual, and I'm, for the moment, happy to dismiss the issue of conflict of interests --- a topic for another day.

This is surely a Matchroom choice, and suggests that Matchroom thinks that team unity and good "game day management" is all it takes to maximize performance in the Mosconi. This couldn't be further from the truth, and in my opinion, Coach Wilson provided both, though perhaps a bit less effectively than Johann can.

Europe has won seven straight Mosconi events because they are superior to the US in every category but the break:

Europe pockets balls better
Europe plays better patterns
Europe plays better position
Europe plays better safeties
Europe plays kick shots better
Europe employs more two-way shots
Europe is superior in general tactics

What it all adds up to is that out-breaking Europe by a whole lot is the only real path to victory for Team USA these days. While it's certainly possible that it could happen, it is not very likely.

Unless he's moving to the US for much of the year to work with US players, what will Johann do to narrow the gap in skills between Team USA and Team Europe and how will he accomplish it? How will he know which wild cards to pick without seeing American players up close? How will he oversee the development of the players in area of weakness?

Is this move by Matchroom just for show? On the surface, it looks pretty ridiculous, but I'll retract everything I've said if Johann will live in the US for a substantial portion of 2017 and work closely face-to-face with Mosconi hopefuls.

Which coach can help with those skills?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
It may be to late, it sounds like the decision has been made.
One way or another I will be in the bleachers next year screaming and the chanting.
Euro fans beware:p

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
So let me get this straight:
even if Team U.S.A. wins with the new coach, there will be claims that the Europeans were part of the victory.

I don't like it.
Keep Team U.S.A. American--made in America, win in America.

I totally agree. This almost was like a bad April fools joke.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not someone from Asia? One of those gymnastic coaches from China would scare the piss out of our players and get them right in shape.

Overall, it's more bad than good, good coach from European side is worse than no coach and only a bit better than an average coach from US.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either the dumb bastards here gave them the idea or the smart bastards here had advanced information-not sure which!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Your Highness...the Mongols are coming our way!....:eek:

"Hmmm....oh, I know....lets get Tamerlane to lead our soldiers."