Table debate: Brunswick Monticello vs Gibson

Walt69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi folks. Having a hard time deciding on an 8ft pool table to put on the basement when it's finished. I have hmfound two tables at different price points.

Brunswick Monticello - can be delivered and set up with new simonis 860 for 1200$ total. This is the cheaper option and from what i have read rhis is basically a gold crown in residential form.

Brunswick Gibson - love the look of this one but it's delivered and set up with simonis 860 for 2400$ so twice the price.

My question is, im playing in a finished basement and want something nice, but is the Gibson actually worth twice the price? I can probably swing the funds but don't want to if ill be happier in the long run if the monticello is actually a better table. Thanks in advance!

***both tables are in really good shape***

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi folks. Having a hard time deciding on an 8ft pool table to put on the basement when it's finished. I have hmfound two tables at different price points.

Brunswick Monticello - can be delivered and set up with new simonis 860 for 1200$ total. This is the cheaper option and from what i have read rhis is basically a gold crown in residential form.

Brunswick Gibson - love the look of this one but it's delivered and set up with simonis 860 for 2400$ so twice the price.

My question is, im playing in a finished basement and want something nice, but is the Gibson actually worth twice the price? I can probably swing the funds but don't want to if ill be happier in the long run if the monticello is actually a better table. Thanks in advance!

***both tables are in really good shape***
How quik do need it? Reason i ask is you can find Gold Crown's in those price ranges and its better than either one. Monticello's are pretty nice tables. Rarely see them.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Gibson looks like a poor mans Anniversary. The Monticello looks like a GC gone badly. I’d pick the Gibson.

Walt69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How quik do need it? Reason i ask is you can find Gold Crown's in those price ranges and its better than either one. Monticello's are pretty nice tables. Rarely see them.

I don't need it until middle to end of January as that's when the basement is projected to be done. I suppose there's a chance these tables may be gone by then, i hadn't thought of that. The gold crowns around here are mostly all too highly priced with folks wanting 1500-3000 before delivery and installation...

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no opinion on those tables, however the advice I give is to buy the table you really want, even if that means waiting a bit so you can save up the funds to get the table you really want. Don't settle on either of those tables just because you can afford it now.

Once you get a table its hard to get rid of it in order to upgrade down the line.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have no opinion on those tables, however the advice I give is to buy the table you really want, even if that means waiting a bit so you can save up the funds to get the table you really want. Don't settle on either of those tables just because you can afford it now.

Once you get a table its hard to get rid of it in order to upgrade down the line.

Great advice. Buy once with no regrets! I try to tell this to all my potential customers. Some listen and some call back to spend more $$$ than they did with someone else on a table they sort of liked.

Trent from Toledo

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't need it until middle to end of January as that's when the basement is projected to be done. I suppose there's a chance these tables may be gone by then, i hadn't thought of that. The gold crowns around here are mostly all too highly priced with folks wanting 1500-3000 before delivery and installation...

Are you buying from Pro Billiards?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gibson or Monticello

I'd be leaning toward the Gibson myself. It is similar to the Anniversary, which was a great table 70 years ago & still is today.

The Monticello looks like a Gold Crown with different skirts.

Bryce1552

Registered
If you haven't considered it in your searches AE Schmidt makes some real quality tables and depending on your location they can be found in abundance. I was considering some furniture and lower end Brunswick tables when I came across a beautiful AE Schmidt for 300 bucks and snapped it up.

As i see your located in Chicago you're likely to find quite a few it's been a saint louis company for over 100 years and I you can always email them directly for questions about different models if you find one, they can ID from photo. My oversized 8 has been a joy to play on. Of the ones your suggested that monichello looks really quality though I doubt you could go wrong with it

Between the two I like the look of the Brunswick Monticello more and I like the half the price part even more but I'm cheap as hell so take it with a grain of salt lol.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have a Gibson - here's are some pics from my new house and one from my old. Mine is 9' with modified rails, german rubber and 4" pockets.

From what I've seen the two tables have similar hardwood frames. The Gibson is solid hardwood and sold for around $9,000 new. I also have the matching rack which I believe sold for $1200 - $1400. When I say solid hardwood, , the skirts, rails and pocket corners on mine are all from large pieces of solid mahogany coopered together seamlessly and the legs are figured laminated veneers. The rack is solid mahogany as well.

Both tables you are considering are home tables. The Gibson is designed to be an attractive piece of furniture. It's not meant to be a commercial table. I like the way my Gibson plays and love the way it looks. No complaints. I bought it because I wanted a showpiece table that also plays well - and that's what it is.

It's really a matter of style and taste. Do I think the Gibson is worth a little more? No, I think it's worth a heck of a lot more.

Attachments

• Gibson 1.jpg
    Gibson 1.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 431
  • Gibson 2.jpg
    Gibson 2.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 458
  • Gibson 3.jpg
    Gibson 3.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 493
  • gibson rack.jpg
    gibson rack.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 424
  • Gibson_1.jpg
    Gibson_1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that all Gibson pockets are? Do they all protrude up that much? Looks like that would get annoying pretty quick.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, Tate. That table is a looker. I don't recall ever seeing one. IMO, your table looks better than an Anniversary or Centennial.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Wow, Tate. That table is a looker. I don't recall ever seeing one. IMO, your table looks better than an Anniversary or Centennial.

Thank you! I was concerned about style because the table is prominently displayed. In my new house, you can easily see it from the first floor and it looks fine. I keep a black Brunswick cover on it too and that looks very clean when not in use.

FYI the old Centennials and Anniversary's have heavier frames - they are built.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Is that all Gibson pockets are? Do they all protrude up that much? Looks like that would get annoying pretty quick.

Yes, they are the formed leather drop pockets - it's just a thin formed lip, they do not get in the way. It looks higher because of the shadow and reflection.