Better equipment, shafts, Tips, and Kamui Chalk, but the 526 RUN RECORDS Stands?

tksix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much money did Mosconi make for his 526? ZERO! So, why do the players of today need a big purse to try and break the record?!

How long did Mosconi practice on that table before running 526? Probably not a week or a month, so why do our champions of today need a week on the table?!

Can someone just set an 8'er up to the exact specs, and create the Mosconi challenge please. $100.00 per try. Pot keeps accumulating until we end this non-sense. Perhaps get a corporate sponsor to sweeten the pot with 10k or 20k.

All the threads about pool needing a shot in the arm, this could be it!!

Oh and by the way, any player attempting the challenge on this "to spec" table must be dressed as Mosconi was when he made the 526, not sure if it was a suit or just slacks and a button down shirt........ But, no shorts, polos, or flip flops. If he was uncomfortable, so should the challenger be as well.

Mike

Last edited:

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players need a big purse because the vast majority of players don't care about 14.1.

14.1 is a dead game for 99.9% of the pool population. You'd be hard pressed to even find a league player that knows the rules in my area.

He played a lot actually on the table. This was his exhibition table that he travelled with so I've heard.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... He played a lot actually on the table. This was his exhibition table that he travelled with so I've heard.
No, it was a Brunswick at the pool hall. I doubt he would have traveled with a 4x8 at a time when 5x10s were still common. People would have said "why is he playing on a toy?"

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How much money did Mosconi make for his 526? ZERO! ...
No, Brunswick was paying him for every appearance although probably not extra money for high runs. If you read his autobiography, it's clear why he was motivated to run a record at that particular time.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
How much money did Mosconi make for his 526? ZERO! So, why do the players of today need a big purse to try and break the record?!

How long did Mosconi practice on that table before running 526? Probably not a week or a month, so why do our champions of today need a week on the table?!

Can someone just set an 8'er up to the exact specs, and create the Mosconi challenge please. $100.00 per try. Pot keeps accumulating until we end this non-sense. Perhaps get a corporate sponsor to sweeten the pot with 10k or 20k.

All the threads about pool needing a shot in the arm, this could be it!!

Oh and by the way, any player attempting the challenge on this "to spec" table must be dressed as Mosconi was when he made the 526, not sure if it was a suit or just slacks and a button down shirt........ But, no shorts, polos, or flip flops. If he was uncomfortable, so should the challenger be as well.

Mike

At the time Mosconi did this he was playing almost every day doing exhibitions for Brunswick. He was employed by them and they kept him busy traveling to pool rooms to support the brand.

For whatever reason Mosconi, someone who actually didn't like to play pool, started his run and instead of ending at the normal length he was encouraged to keep going and he did.

It was sort of a lightning strike moment that Mosconi happened to desire to keep going when normally he didn't want to spend any extra time than necessary at these exhibitions. He wasn't trying to set records.

He was also lucky that the people present documented the run. Otherwise it wouldn't be an "official" record but would be in the same category as the many unofficial ones we have, some of which were done on tougher equipment.

For someone to break the record today would certain require a lot of attempts. I do agree that the fame would be worth it.

tksix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand he was on Brynswick's payroll, so let's get a corporate sponsor to put up 50k or 75k to start the pot. Then players pay $50 or $100 per attempt.

As for not knowing the rules, that's easy ...... They aren't playing a match just running balls.........according to the 9ball players that's easy!!!! So start runnin balls!!

Mike

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I am in agreement with the person who could "officially" break the record would have instant recognition. The cuemaker or cue company he was using would benefit, casemaker, a plethora of opportunity would become instant.

Someone could come out the 526 model cue, then the new number cue, the list could be endless. Recently the record has not been glorified enough. At any straightpool even, the hi run trophy should be called the Mosconi 526 award, there should be more emphasis at hilighting the feat when the opportunity presents itself.

JV

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I have not read the whole thread.

But, has anyone mentioned that Mosconi did not mis. He simply quit as he was getting tired.

Just a bit of trivia.

Regards,

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not read the whole thread.

But, has anyone mentioned that Mosconi did not mis. He simply quit as he was getting tired.

Just a bit of trivia.

Regards,

This is not true -- he missed.

From his biography, "Willie's Game:" "On March 19, in Springfield, Ohio, I ran 526 balls, a record that still stands. I was playing an amateur by the name of Earl Bruney in the East High Billiard Club. He made three balls off the break, then I ran two hundred and just kept going. The run took two hours and ten minutes. I finally missed a difficult cut shot, but by that time I was weary; it was almost a relief to have it come to an end."

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
As many may or may not know, Willie Mosconi's Best friend and Pool & Billiard historian, Charlie Ursitti passed away this morning!

He was a VERY DEAR friend of mine for the last 10-12 years.

When I saw this or maybe it was another thread on, 'Mosconi's 526 ball' run,I decided to ask none other than the single person alive at the time what ACTUAL light he could shine on this highly debated record!

I did not read every post in this or other threads on the subject, but, I could tell there were plenty of, YEH and NASAYERS about Willie's run and how if the players today would have any chance of duplicating or surpassing the 526 under the same conditions!

So, I called up Charlie and we had about a 30 minute conversation about Willie and that so Godly talent of his! This was a little over 2 years ago, as to we both were going thru severe health issues, although, his more serious than my own.

Here's the audio of that conversation.

https://www.facebook.com/mr3cushion/videos/vb.100000974825519/2354177401291398/?type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1542760693483993

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As many may or may not know, Willie Mosconi's Best friend and Pool & Billiard historian, Charlie Ursitti passed away this morning!

He was a VERY DEAR friend of mine for the last 10-12 years.

When I saw this or maybe it was another thread on, 'Mosconi's 526 ball' run,I decided to ask none other than the single person alive at the time what ACTUAL light he could shine on this highly debated record!

I did not read every post in this or other threads on the subject, but, I could tell there were plenty of, YEH and NASAYERS about Willie's run and how if the players today would have any chance of duplicating or surpassing the 526 under the same conditions!

So, I called up Charlie and we had about a 30 minute conversation about Willie and that so Godly talent of his! This was a little over 2 years ago, as to we both were going thru severe health issues, although, his more serious than my own.

Here's the audio of that conversation.

https://www.facebook.com/mr3cushion/videos/vb.100000974825519/2354177401291398/?type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1542760693483993

Thank you for sharing! That was awesome on so many levels.

Along the lines of what Charlie was saying, I had the opportunity to attend a 14.1 training session with John Schmidt hosted by Corey Harper at his former Crown City Billiards Pro Shop and Training Facility several years ago. There were 5-7 of us in attendance and once of the things John proposed to do was run some balls and explain his thought process before every shot. It was great insight to here John "think out-loud" as he was running balls. The was done on a very difficult Gold Crown I with 4" pockets. John ran 100 WHILE TALKING to us like it was nothing on this super difficult table. I can only imagine having the same experience with Wille. Thanks again for sharing.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
If you would like to see it broken, put 5k up and see how long it lasts:smile:

Why, did someone pay Mosconi $5K to run over 500 balls? Or did he just do it, because he could?

Sorry, if anyone on the planet could do it, they would. Who would NOT want one of the best known records in the billiards world. Oh, sure, they would like his 14 world championships, but there is ZERO chance anyone will ever do that.

So, shoot away, and take the record. I mean, how many guys pined for Babe Ruth's record? Of course, any player could have "done it" but it took Aaron to do it many decades later.

Who would NOT want to be known as "Mr. 527".

I'm just a small time chalk guy, but I will give the winner chalk and tips for life. That is one sponsor. Hey, it's more then they are getting now, right ;) And I'm sure there are more down the road. Heck, i'd do it for free if I could just to have the title !!! I mean, it's good practice anyways, right?

Last edited:

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many pros get paid to do straight pool exhibitions these days?
Not Enough.

Maybe we should start a Fund for this. Like $10 per person for the first 527 ball run recorded. So if it was taped not only would the player get the funds raised but also the sale of the tape from the run (say $50 for the copy of the tape). I would be in for that...

Pete

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt is up north right now in Monterey California at Easy Street Billiards trying to break Willie Mosconi’s high run record of 526. He’s going to be there for 30 days trying! They have cameras rolling to document it all.

Capture.PNG