Kenneth James

Craig

Custom Cue-Repair
Silver Member
Does anyone or has anyone ever heard of this guy > Kenneth James < I was told he is from Athens, AL. How does or did he play, I hear he was/is a strong player. Thanks for any info anyone has about him. No looking to match up or knock him, just from back in the day he could play with the best.

Last edited:

Harvywallbanger

Josh Eisert
Silver Member
Isn't there a Kenneth James that plays professional poker? There are a few poker players these days that have/still play strong pool. Jay Helfert post on here and he plays both. I wonder if he knows if the Kenneth James that plays poker now days is the same guy your thinking of. Jay?

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harvywallbanger said:
Isn't there a Kenneth James that plays professional poker? There are a few poker players these days that have/still play strong pool. Jay Helfert post on here and he plays both. I wonder if he knows if the Kenneth James that plays poker now days is the same guy your thinking of. Jay?
I know of a well known poker player by the name of Kenna James.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone or has anyone ever heard of this guy > Kenneth James < I was told he is from Athens, AL. How does or did he play, I hear he was/is a strong player. Thanks for any info anyone has about him. No looking to match up or knock him, just from back in the day he could play with the best.

I know this is a very, very old thread but, it seems to me nobody knows who Kenneth was.

I knew him well.

All I have to say to describe how strong he was:

I watched him take the Miz in 9 ball on more than one occasion at his room.....even.

Kenneth would have been a known pro......or maybe even a great but, Kenneth was, as anyone that knew him knows.....half blind and could only see on "one" particular table that had so many damn lights and they were hanging so damn low.....some couldnt take it but, it didnt bother Kenneth since he "needed" it to just be able to see "a little".

Kenneth James from Athens AL was a beast........every bit as big of a beast as the Miz ever was..........he just didnt have the tools (eye sight) to go that route.

He did however open and own a small room in Athens for a number of years and:

sent many of the pros from the 60's and 70's home broke when they would come calling.

I remember watching him spot pucket until pucket gave up and left.

At Kenneth's healthiest point.........he was wearing glasses that looked thicker than the bottom of a coke bottle from the old days......

He only had a handful of years that he could actually see well enough to play at his room. When he went anywhere else......it was all but impossible for him to see.

Just thought I would add what info I knew about him.

Jeff

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this is a very, very old thread but, it seems to me nobody knows who Kenneth was.

I knew him well.

All I have to say to describe how strong he was:

I watched him take the Miz in 9 ball on more than one occasion at his room.....even.

Kenneth would have been a known pro......or maybe even a great but, Kenneth was, as anyone that knew him knows.....half blind and could only see on "one" particular table that had so many damn lights and they were hanging so damn low.....some couldnt take it but, it didnt bother Kenneth since he "needed" it to just be able to see "a little".

Kenneth James from Athens AL was a beast........every bit as big of a beast as the Miz ever was..........he just didnt have the tools (eye sight) to go that route.

He did however open and own a small room in Athens for a number of years and:

sent many of the pros from the 60's and 70's home broke when they would come calling.

I remember watching him spot pucket until pucket gave up and left.

At Kenneth's healthiest point.........he was wearing glasses that looked thicker than the bottom of a coke bottle from the old days......

He only had a handful of years that he could actually see well enough to play at his room. When he went anywhere else......it was all but impossible for him to see.

Just thought I would add what info I knew about him.

Jeff

Jeff,

Did he still own the room in Athens in the late 80’s?

Z

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff,

Did he still own the room in Athens in the late 80’s?

Z

I moved out of the area in early 80's but, I do know he took on a partner sometime in early 80's because his eyesight got worse.

Eventually, he sold out to his partner and then his partner went belly up.

At some point, can't remember exact year but, Ricky Pepper reopened the room but, I don't think he was able to keep it afloat very long.

The room was...on again...off again ....ever year or two until about two years ago.

The last few years it was open, it was more or less a domino parlor with the occasional golf game in the mornings.

Lots of good times in that place....

Jeff

BTW, the last time I matched up with Bobby Pickle was in that room. We played two 8-ahead sets for 3k a set. First set took two long days.

First time I've thought about Pickle in awhile.

Last edited: