Break cue stuff, again.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the best wood for a break cue shaft, maple, purple heart, etc.?

How about the joint? Is the Uni Loc a good choice or another all metal joint?

Seems like every one has their preference's on weight and tip diameter.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only things that really matter:

Hitting cb accurately
Stroke speed

Everything else is just another:

This group likes chocolate but, the other group likes vanilla.

EDIT:

Instead of thinking you don't break HARD enough, try to think instead of trying to break FAST enough.

Most....but not all by any means, use a break cue that's a little lighter than their playing cue.

My playing cue is ~18.60 ounces, 60" long @12.4 mm with a G2 soft tip.

My breaker is a BK Rush, it's 58" @12.75 mm and weighs 17 ounces with the stock tip.

Try adding and taking weight away from your break cue and see how it changes your abilities to control the cb on the break.

Then do the same thing and see how it changes "how fast" or "how slow" your stroke speed becomes.

I believe you will see as speed increases, control will decrease.

Find what you need....then you will know what to buy.

Jeff

Last edited:

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Current one

I had a phenolic ferrule and a hard tip of some kind put on a Diveney 12.5 shaft and use it with one of my Diveney radial pin butts.

I was looking at going to a 13.5 mm shaft and a White Diamond tip with a purple heart shaft and butt.

I am a mediocre breaker at best, just can't hit them hard.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a phenolic ferrule and a hard tip of some kind put on a Diveney 12.5 shaft and use it with one of my Diveney radial pin butts.

I was looking at going to a 13.5 mm shaft and a White Diamond tip with a purple heart shaft and butt.

If you don't mind me asking, what's mediocre about your break? Is it your accuracy? Is it your stroke speed? Is it something to do with your stance or bridge? What technique do you use, is it all shoulder or do you incorporate your shoulder, hips etc...etc into your break?

BTW, do you have any physical issues such as back problems?

Jeff

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member

I know you don't want to bear it but if you don't break that hard, carbon fiber shaft the way to go due to the energy transfer.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you don't want to bear it but if you don't break that hard, carbon fiber shaft the way to go due to the energy transfer.

CF shafts do seem to move the cb much easier.

I like them for 8, 9, 10 and AR unless I can get away with a medium to soft break.

For 1hole, 14.1 and similar games, I use my playing cue.

Jeff

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would think Dymondwood
As a jump cue for sure the best for me

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the best wood for a break cue shaft, maple, purple heart, etc.?

How about the joint? Is the Uni Loc a good choice or another all metal joint?

Seems like every one has their preference's on weight and tip diameter.
Don't know about best but i use a $100 J&J wood-screw joint j/b with a WDUltra tip. Works great. 13mm(or a tad larger) is best for breaking.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dymonwood

I have a Dymonwood shaft that has a Uni Loc joint, I could get a 30" butt with a Uni Loc and try it.

I can rack tight. I have a very good wooden rack, a Delta rack, Magic rack and Accu rack.

It is probably my control, the faster I hit, the worse I hit where I am aiming. Crap.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Dymonwood shaft that has a Uni Loc joint, I could get a 30" butt with a Uni Loc and try it.

I can rack tight. I have a very good wooden rack, a Delta rack, Magic rack and Accu rack.

It is probably my control, the faster I hit, the worse I hit where I am aiming. Crap.

To be honest, you shouldn't worry about a new cue.

I'm not perfect either but, it sounds like you need to work on your stance, grip and bridge hand etc...etc.....everything that leads to a straight stroke.

After you get ^^^^^^^^^ in check as best you can, evaluate your break again. You may find you don't need a new break cue.

Jeff

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all about technique. Not woods, carbons shafts, tips, nor cue weight.
Get the Predator break speed app for your phone, find out for yourself.
Good Luck.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I cant wait for my dymondwood breaker to be ready
Seriously hate waiting

My players sp breaks very good with a tight rack and my big frame lol
Its a wood to wood joint and has brass inserts
Plays jam up

I just want the dymondwood cause its looks incredible and it just might break a lil better iuno, well find out

Im keeping that sp though as a player,

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Local player thats well known
Uses a regular house cue and breaks like a monster
So it really dont matter what you use, your accuracy is far more important imo

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Just don't get caught up in the hype of thinking you must have a $700 BK Rush to have a good break. Something like a purple heart or diamond wood shaft combined with a white diamond tip will perform as good as most people need

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Never heard a break cue should weigh less than your player.

I have a Rage break cue, weighs 25oz. Breaks phenominal. I just pulled it up on Ozone, 30, 5 star ratings and no other ratings.

It has a weight bolt. I pulled it and played with it at the lighter weight but eventually went back to the weight bolt in.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be honest, you shouldn't worry about a new cue.

I'm not perfect either but, it sounds like you need to work on your stance, grip and bridge hand etc...etc.....everything that leads to a straight stroke.

After you get ^^^^^^^^^ in check as best you can, evaluate your break again. You may find you don't need a new break cue.

Jeff
^^^^^that is the best advise you can get. So the work on your technique first. Yes, some equipment allows you to hit using slightly less power to get a nice spread which leads to a better accuracy. But still you need a good stroke to be consistenly successful on the break. Good luck)

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say that an equipment change is the last thing someone should look for when trying to improve some part of their game- I am Not saying that an equipment change should be out of the question. However, I think for the "break" aspect of rotation games or 8 ball- the primary considerations are to pocket at least ONE object ball AND, equally important- keep that cue ball as close to the table center as possible- to give maximum ability to STAY on the table or play the best safe possible with ANY ball on the table.
Making one ball on the break and staying center table with the cue have little to do with breaking equipment in my opinion. I advise finding the right mix of stroke, speed, aiming, and body coordination including your TIMING of cue delivery to the cue ball with the CORRECT body parts in sync and RELAXED - work on all that stuff first- if you are still unhappy- try a new break equipment set up.

I know people who break way better than me and they just use a house cue- their timing and technique is just beyond my present capabilities- some of it is just natural for them- I can improve mine and learn by watching how they do it- but I am not them! A new break cue would not help me.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
. I advise finding the right mix of stroke, speed, aiming, and body coordination including your TIMING of cue delivery to the cue ball with the CORRECT body parts in sync

I agree with that big time and feel thats why my breaking is better than ever
Timing speed aiming and body coordination

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wood is pretty much dead.

Just got 14mm carbon fiber in and maybe in a week or so I'll whip something up.

Carbon fiber is great and cheap. Heck, I see people selling carbon fiber blanks for only

$75 now which means they pay around $25. Probably cost around $20 to finish one off.