alternative to dust filters

fugdbdt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend has a cabinet shop and i asked him about dust collector filters.
He said .... get the dust collector out of your shop. So last winter, i framed an 48'' wide by 24'' deep by about 7' tall box out side and moved my dust collector out there. I didnt want to leave the induction motor together with the collector bags, so i devided the box into two 2' sections and separated the bags from the motor.
My main fear was that it would freeze my shop out. But for some reason, it wasnt like putting a fan in the window. In fact, i could work for about 15 minutes in short sleeves before it even started to cool down in my shop.
Overall, its been a pretty smart move because it not only got the fine dust out of there but it gave me a little more room and best of all, i dont have to listen to the darn thing. I know its not ideal for every setup but i have a few pics and will try to upload them.

Attachments

• dust colection 003.jpg
    dust colection 003.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 338
  • dust colection 004.jpg
    dust colection 004.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 344
  • dust colection 005.jpg
    dust colection 005.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 356
  • dust colection 008.jpg
    dust colection 008.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 343
  • dust colection 010.jpg
    dust colection 010.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 353

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read this suggestion on here before but have never seen it done. I like how you are following through and making it a permenant part of your shop with the little roof and all. Great job. :thumbup: Let me know if you figure out how to get my routers outside.

fugdbdt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read this suggestion on here before but have never seen it done. I like how you are following through and making it a permenant part of your shop with the little roof and all. Great job. :thumbup: Let me know if you figure out how to get my routers outside.

I hear ya on those routers! About to give up on that.
I have some metal for the roof. I still need to put a hinged door on the motor side and hinge my panel for the bag side. And then some siding but im not thinking about that until winter. Easy project except for crawling around in the ceiling insulation to run a dedicated circuit wire to it .... hate that. The cost .... wood, wireing and all will be about $200 to $250 ish.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

Great way to save your health. I have two big units in a trailer behind my shop and I also ran 4" hoses through the wall.

I have some large shop vacs in my shop for specific machines. Another good idea is to connect 4" hoses to the exhaust sides of the shop vacs to eliminate any fine dust that my pass the vac filters.

I also have 2 small Grizzley 4" dust collection floor units that have cloth bags. I took off the bags and created a push / pull system to my big units in the trailer. Fine micron dust particles are gone (poof)!!! Those bags filter down to a certain micron size and by piping the discharge into the intake of the big machines is the tits!

My shop is very clean relative to even small dust particles. When everything is going out side of your shop, your health is the winner. I can tell because I don't have to clean off my TV screen every other day like I used to do. Yuck, that stuff was going in my lungs!!!

Be safe,

Rick Geschrey