Ralf Souquet

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I just don't see the real difference between tournaments and gambling. "

You just contradicted yourself.
If you see no real difference then Ralf's accomplishments in a tournament setting DO count, and it is neither necessary nor required for him to gamble to prove himself.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you see no real difference then Ralf's accomplishments in a tournament setting DO count, and it is neither necessary nor required for him to gamble to prove himself.

Take your common sense elsewhere. We have no need for it here.:D

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's a good point, unless you actually read my posts (I can't reiterate every point in every post). I said that because I dont see a difference in the entry fee/gambling aspect of the money. My main problem with tournaments is they aren't a real test. I can only explain this so many times, but you don't beat even one single player in a tournament in any real sense. If tournaments were a good test, i'd have no problem with "champions" being only tournament winners (eg in tennis). Let's look at a few quick stats.

-In tennis, they play about 230 points a match.... a player can sometimes get a couple of aces in a row.

-In pool, they play to 11 (or 9), and a player can run off say four racks without ever letting the other guy to the table.

I'm not contradicting myself, I'm simply saying if you want to see how good of a player you really are, you need to get out of the tournament realm (at least in pool). If you don't do that, nobody can know how good you are. So I must assume you can't do it -- what else can I do? It's his choice, he's fine with it, good for him, but there is no way he can be considered one of the best without ever beating a single player his entire career. A career like this is like the professional equivalent of a 5 dollar tournament player who "risks" 5 bucks, yet when he wins he gets a decent payday. In my book, you have to put your ego and maybe even money on the line and see what you are made of to be a true champion. Other players can do it, he cant (or wont), it's really that simple.

And one other thing, this isn't about gambling!! It is about really beating other great players.

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hi all,

i know Ralph since he was 16 years old. He always was an absolutely perfectionist-better say, he always wants to play perfect! He s one if the nicest guys I ever met in the pool-circus. Pure Fair-Play , no matter when and where. Even today he wants to increase his skills- thumbs up for this. He s never leaning back!
About his abilities-there s no need to discuss about. Everyone, who can shoot 2 balls in a row knows that Ralph is one of the best professionals ever. Additional I like the way he is following *his way of pool*. And this is just to WORK as a professional Pool-Player. Which is anyway hard enough. He is one of the rare persons who can live from pool. Who else from those so called *professionals* could say this seriously, too? Not really many…….

Ralph never gambled. And I m lookin up to him for this attitude. For sure many guys asked him, or “wannabe-stakehorses”, too. But he would never-I m very sure.
Some thinking that he perhaps fear it? Rofl- 100% not. It s just his personal stance he has to his great love-and this is billiards.

About the sentence someone wrote about tournaments – tournament is not test? For sure it is. You have to be all the time 100% at the table with full concentration. On a race to 100 you could take your pause, or make a mistake. IN a tournament your opponent would kick your ass immediately.

Souquet, Strickland, Varner, Sigel….just to name few names- they all won so many tournaments-and this just shows about their ability to show their best game when they HAVE TO !
And for me, this is the greatest ability you could show.

Ralph Souquet is the perfect professional in my opinion. He lives Pool.

Lg
Ingo

imissedthe9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
since ralf doesnt gamble how about someone host a invitational 2 man tournament entry fee 10 k and race to 100. invite ralf and someone like svb orcullo, cheng, etc 100% of prize money paid out LOL

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think what makes another difference, if you compare Ralf to other Players, is the fact that he takes Pool to such a professionnal level that i think no other player, even Efren, Archer etc. will bring such a professionnalism to the table as he does. he shows no emotions at all, tries as noone else to take every unexpectedness out of the game and presents himself on and off the table ass very serious, gentleman-like and adaptes his-life style to his profession (Pool) as nobody else. it's true that his style of play will never be such attractiv as earl strickland crying and running around the table entertaining the croud, but apart from that, he will surely be one of the most reputable and respectable poolplayers in the hall of fame of all times.

Ralf is a great person and player, few are ever going to be like him. He shows no emotion when he plays but its there-just well covered like a poker player. His career is what I most admire about him, that good for that long. Not many guys can do that, and travel 300+ days a year. He never complains about it. He is going to play many more years too!!!

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good point, unless you actually read my posts (I can't reiterate every point in every post). I said that because I dont see a difference in the entry fee/gambling aspect of the money. My main problem with tournaments is they aren't a real test. I can only explain this so many times, but you don't beat even one single player in a tournament in any real sense. If tournaments were a good test, i'd have no problem with "champions" being only tournament winners (eg in tennis). Let's look at a few quick stats.

-In tennis, they play about 230 points a match.... a player can sometimes get a couple of aces in a row.

-In pool, they play to 11 (or 9), and a player can run off say four racks without ever letting the other guy to the table.

I'm not contradicting myself, I'm simply saying if you want to see how good of a player you really are, you need to get out of the tournament realm (at least in pool). If you don't do that, nobody can know how good you are. So I must assume you can't do it -- what else can I do? It's his choice, he's fine with it, good for him, but there is no way he can be considered one of the best without ever beating a single player his entire career. A career like this is like the professional equivalent of a 5 dollar tournament player who "risks" 5 bucks, yet when he wins he gets a decent payday. In my book, you have to put your ego and maybe even money on the line and see what you are made of to be a true champion. Other players can do it, he cant (or wont), it's really that simple.

And one other thing, this isn't about gambling!! It is about really beating other great players.

Ralf travels to nearly every continent in the world to play pool. He travels more than any pool player on Earth.

You do realize that when players gamble high stakes, its almost always on someone else's money (at least a large portion of it)? You know how much it costs for Ralf to fly around the world, stay at a hotel 10 months a year, put in tournament fees, and grind out to make it into the top 5 for a chance at any payday? That is more pressure than I could ever imagine.

What's harder, I give you $10k to gamble Shane with. If you lose, you're out nothing; if you win, you get $4,000. Or, I give you nothing. You take your own money, spend $4,000 to fly to Japan, hotel, and entry fee. Now you are -$4,000 and have to get top 5 in a field of monsters just to not leave with a negative? How many guys in the US are willing to get staked and gamble? How many of those same guys do you see flying all over the world putting themselves in that tough position?

Is Kobe Bryant not as good of a basketball player because he doesn't call LeBron and put $10 million on a game of one on one?

Any professional can get hot and win one tournament. The fact that Ralf has won more tournaments than anyone else in the past 15 years goes to the point of consistency. It is that consistency that proves he is a champion and one of the top players. His decision not to gamble is a personal one, and in no way diminishes his ability as a player. He puts pressure on himself everyday and I find it very admirable that, for whatever reason, he stands up for what he believes in.

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ralf travels to nearly every continent in the world to play pool. He travels more than any pool player on Earth.

You do realize that when players gamble high stakes, its almost always on someone else's money (at least a large portion of it)? You know how much it costs for Ralf to fly around the world, stay at a hotel 10 months a year, put in tournament fees, and grind out to make it into the top 5 for a chance at any payday? That is more pressure than I could ever imagine.

What's harder, I give you $10k to gamble Shane with. If you lose, you're out nothing; if you win, you get $4,000. Or, I give you nothing. You take your own money, spend $4,000 to fly to Japan, hotel, and entry fee. Now you are -$4,000 and have to get top 5 in a field of monsters just to not leave with a negative? How many guys in the US are willing to get staked and gamble? How many of those same guys do you see flying all over the world putting themselves in that tough position?

Is Kobe Bryant not as good of a basketball player because he doesn't call LeBron and put $10 million on a game of one on one?

Any professional can get hot and win one tournament. The fact that Ralf has won more tournaments than anyone else in the past 15 years goes to the point of consistency. It is that consistency that proves he is a champion and one of the top players. His decision not to gamble is a personal one, and in no way diminishes his ability as a player. He puts pressure on himself everyday and I find it very admirable that, for whatever reason, he stands up for what he believes in.

I don't know how many times i can say the same things, but it isn't really about playing on his or someone's money, it's about actually beating someone. Anyone. If you want to be considered in the top ten all time (which was the initial comment that got me started), you HAVE to beat people.

I don't think your basketball analogy is a good one. But if you want to talk about teams in basketball, well, the "test" they play is a very good one, so no, they have to do nothing more to prove themselves.

I never said Ralph does not put himself under pressure. I said he has never beat a single player, and never will with his current philosophy (or unlikely). If he's so great and consistent, why not just rob a few of these guys? Does he not like money.Hmmm, makes you wonder, don't it? Well, it makes me wonder.

Again, what does he believe in? Would he put up 5 or 10k in a 2 man tournament winner take all? I just don't see the difference between tournaments and gambling... point being, it seems there are reasons other than "i don't gamble" motivating him to say this.

Anyway, you guys think one thing, i and many actual players i'm sure think another. It is really fine, isn't it? I think so. I just think if you are a player, you know that it would be kinda nice to have a big "off limits" sign on you when you walk into poolrooms, at least at times. Yet this isn't the attitude a champion should have ALL the time... that is, precluding great champions from approaching you for a game. No, can't have it both ways. You can't be a "champion" and not play anybody. Either get in there, or realize your true place in pool's history.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I don't know how many times i can say the same things, but it isn't really about playing on his or someone's money, it's about actually beating someone. Anyone. If you want to be considered in the top ten all time (which was the initial comment that got me started), you HAVE to beat people.

I don't think your basketball analogy is a good one. But if you want to talk about teams in basketball, well, the "test" they play is a very good one, so no, they have to do nothing more to prove themselves.

I never said Ralph does not put himself under pressure. I said he has never beat a single player, and never will with his current philosophy (or unlikely). If he's so great and consistent, why not just rob a few of these guys? Does he not like money.Hmmm, makes you wonder, don't it? Well, it makes me wonder.

Again, what does he believe in? Would he put up 5 or 10k in a 2 man tournament winner take all? I just don't see the difference between tournaments and gambling... point being, it seems there are reasons other than "i don't gamble" motivating him to say this.

Anyway, you guys think one thing, i and many actual players i'm sure think another. It is really fine, isn't it? I think so. I just think if you are a player, you know that it would be kinda nice to have a big "off limits" sign on you when you walk into poolrooms, at least at times. Yet this isn't the attitude a champion should have ALL the time... that is, precluding great champions from approaching you for a game. No, can't have it both ways. You can't be a "champion" and not play anybody. Either get in there, or realize your true place in pool's history.

Two champions duke it out until just one is left standing.

Two hundred champions (including those two) duke it out for a week at a world championship until only one is left standing. You seem to think that there are professionals pool players who would contend that the guy who comes out on top hasn't beaten ANYONE. You are mistaken and you are alone in this view. Actually, the champion of this event has beaten EVERYONE!

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are mistaken and you are alone in this view. Actually, the champion of this event has beaten EVERYONE!

In a race to nine, you are right. And I am not alone in my view.

This is tough because you'd need to read all my posts to see what I mean. I'll summarize my point and end it here.....

I once watched Ralph beat Bustamante, he played amazing. Bustamante wasn't happy at all, but he was outplayed, and he knew it. It is my contention that if those two would have flipped a coin after that race (or at any time), and played races to 11 for 10k, ralph would miss a ball (or balls) he normally would not, bustamante would hit him with like a 6 pack, and ralph would crap his pants and pull up after a set, or 2 at the most. Ralph can prove me wrong if he wants. You are just wrong, in a race to 11 you beat nobody. Two guys play good (which they always do), and its a coin toss. To beat somebody you must play them until there is a clear winner and loser -- never really true in a tournament.

Granted, that is my opinion, here is what I base it on.....

I have seen quite a few people who don't gamble in my day, yet play well. The simple fact is, they usually aren't good at it. I mean what can we say here as to ralph's reasons, he doesn't like money or something??

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.... And I am not alone in my view.
...Granted, that is my opinion, here is what I base it on.....

??

so basically, what you are saying is that if we use your definition on something then something is as you say it is.

Duh.

We understand what you are saying, it is just that you are wrong.
:deadhorse:

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a race to nine, you are right. And I am not alone in my view.

This is tough because you'd need to read all my posts to see what I mean. I'll summarize my point and end it here.....

I once watched Ralph beat Bustamante, he played amazing. Bustamante wasn't happy at all, but he was outplayed, and he knew it. It is my contention that if those two would have flipped a coin after that race (or at any time), and played races to 11 for 10k, ralph would miss a ball (or balls) he normally would not, bustamante would hit him with like a 6 pack, and ralph would crap his pants and pull up after a set, or 2 at the most. Ralph can prove me wrong if he wants. You are just wrong, in a race to 11 you beat nobody. Two guys play good (which they always do), and its a coin toss. To beat somebody you must play them until there is a clear winner and loser -- never really true in a tournament.

Granted, that is my opinion, here is what I base it on.....

I have seen quite a few people who don't gamble in my day, yet play well. The simple fact is, they usually aren't good at it. I mean what can we say here as to ralph's reasons, he doesn't like money or something??

Chinchilla, I just don't know what to say. Wait..yes I do. Your thoughts on this subject make me nauseous.

You give this definition that because Ralf hasn't beaten a big name player in a race to 100 or gamble with other pros, he isn't a champion. Well, my response to this is what qualifies you to create the end all/be all definition. Nothing! You're not qualified.

Let me ask you this? And before you respond I want you to think about this slowly and carefully. Base your response on all of the knowledge you have acquired from the time you started playing pool, two years ago on your local APA league until now. Think about all of the "pros" you've watched on YOUTUBE, and threads you've read on AZBilliards. Now, dive into this wealth of knowledge and tell me - who the f*ck is drooling at the mouth to gamble with Ralf "Motherf*cking" Souquet??? Ummm....there is a lot easier competition than that. You think stakehorses are chomping at the bit to put their players into an even match with a guy like Souquet? The answer is NO, because they aren't mad at their money.

Wake up and realize that "gamblers" in the pool world are not gamblers. They don't go into a match unless they're pretty sure they already have it won, OR, they are being staked and are going for a free roll. I don't hate them for it, and I enjoy it as much as anyone...but the facts are the facts!

You think a man who plays at the caliber of Souquet and has won more titles than 99% of other players couldn't handle "gambling" pressure? Really?? Reallllly????

Ralf Souquet has developed a name and reputation in the billiard world that is worth it's weight in gold! He has many sponsors, an impeccable reputation, and shoots down your heroes on a regular basis, and has been doing so for years and years. He has more titles than you can shake a stick at, but these factors hold no qualification in your personal definition of a champion...because he doesn't gamble?

I'll give it to you that you've definitely stirred the pot, and caused a lot of debate. But I can't respond to your thoughts anymore because I can't allow your thoughts to annoy me. I will ignore your comments as a grown man ignores the comments of a 4 year old child describing why he thinks Spiderman can beat the Incredible Hulk.

Look, I'm sure you are a nice guy. You're just not qualified on the subject of defining a billiard champion.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chinchilla, I just don't know what to say. Wait..yes I do. Your thoughts on this subject make me nauseous.

You give this definition that because Ralf hasn't beaten a big name player in a race to 100 or gamble with other pros, he isn't a champion. Well, my response to this is what qualifies you to create the end all/be all definition. Nothing! You're not qualified.

Let me ask you this? And before you respond I want you to think about this slowly and carefully. Base your response on all of the knowledge you have acquired from the time you started playing pool, two years ago on your local APA league until now. Think about all of the "pros" you've watched on YOUTUBE, and threads you've read on AZBilliards. Now, dive into this wealth of knowledge and tell me - who the f*ck is drooling at the mouth to gamble with Ralf "Motherf*cking" Souquet??? Ummm....there is a lot easier competition than that. You think stakehorses are chomping at the bit to put their players into an even match with a guy like Souquet? The answer is NO, because they aren't mad at their money.

Wake up and realize that "gamblers" in the pool world are not gamblers. They don't go into a match unless they're pretty sure they already have it won, OR, they are being staked and are going for a free roll. I don't hate them for it, and I enjoy it as much as anyone...but the facts are the facts!

You think a man who plays at the caliber of Souquet and has won more titles than 99% of other players couldn't handle "gambling" pressure? Really?? Reallllly????

Ralf Souquet has developed a name and reputation in the billiard world that is worth it's weight in gold! He has many sponsors, an impeccable reputation, and shoots down your heroes on a regular basis, and has been doing so for years and years. He has more titles than you can shake a stick at, but these factors hold no qualification in your personal definition of a champion...because he doesn't gamble?

I'll give it to you that you've definitely stirred the pot, and caused a lot of debate. But I can't respond to your thoughts anymore because I can't allow your thoughts to annoy me. I will ignore your comments as a grown man ignores the comments of a 4 year old child describing why he thinks Spiderman can beat the Incredible Hulk.

Look, I'm sure you are a nice guy. You're just not qualified on the subject of defining a billiard champion.
Tappity-tap-tap!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chinchilla, I just don't know what to say. ...tell me - who the f*ck is drooling at the mouth to gamble with Ralf "Motherf*cking" Souquet???

...I will ignore your comments as a grown man ignores the comments of a 4 year old child describing why he thinks Spiderman can beat the Incredible Hulk.

Some good shit there Matt.

You stay@ Holiday Inn Express last night?

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some good shit there Matt.

You stay@ Holiday Inn Express last night?

As a matter of fact, YES, on my road trip to gamble w/ Souquet.......I told him about this post and he's decided he needs to gamble to get his name out there, so he told me he'd play me some 9 ball,......even. I can't wait, because I'm betting that because he doesn't gamble and I have gambled before that the pressure will get to him.