JB Cases / Jack Justis Cases

wpolkjr

The Legend Of Polk
Everyone,

I'm in the market for a nice case at this point. I already have a few, but this would be one that I have custom made with amenities that I like. I've read up on several websites and have pretty much narrowed it down to JB Cases and Jack Justis Cases. I've seen a Justis case in person and really liked it. However, the diversity of JB Cases and ability to have virtually anything on the case has really gotten me interested in it.

My question is basically, can you guys give me some insight on these cases from information you know? As in your experience with the cases, their durability, their value, etc. I'm just really a fan of both and can't afford to have both at this time, but want to make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't comment on their value as pertains to the future.

I will say that I have been actively studying case making. Every detail of it that I can get my hands and eyes on. I have only personally seen a couple examples of each of their work and I do not own them. So, I cannot comment as an owner. I am not really studying cost or investment value either. Just the practical matter of materials and construction. So I will comment from that perspective.

Justis is no doubt one of the biggest names out there and any of his work is excellent. I would personally love to have one.

The devil is in the details. I feel that JB has not only got it down as far as balancing protection of the cue with artistic design but constantly engages in development with that in mind. Probably the hardest thing would be selecting the type of case you want from him because he does almost anything.

Also, some of the small touches and custom features that would be additional cost elsewhere, including with Justis, are no additional charge with JB. That's as much as I will comment on cost/prices/value.

Some people will be concerned with other matters such as the location of manufacture. Also, some might consider JB more of a manufacturer than a maker while they would say Justis is a case maker himself. I will not address such things here and am not interested in the controversy.

If I had to decide right now which one I wanted and I only got to decide between the two, I would pick JB. Then I would be up at night trying to figure out exactly what I wanted because the choices are enormous. Then I would be still wishing I also had a Justis case too....who wouldn't?

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
I own a Justis, and it's the finest case I've ever owned, and I've had quite a few in my time.

Any future case purchases will be a Justis, for me, as long as he keeps making them.:thumbup:

angldemn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a JB owner I highly recommend them. I own one of the tough love series with the oil finished leather. The leather is top notch, the handles are thick, luxurious, and all the components are built like a tank.

But, there is one detail I simply hate.

My lower pocket has the standard zip on the side and one down the front. It's quite stately made with beautiful thick leather, and just plain worthless. It's hard to get anything in and out it small or large, and you can forget about storing a jump cue handle. Personally, I think he(and perhaps the whole industry) should abandon this style of pocket.

Make sure you get a wrap around zipper for the lower pocket and I believe you'll be a happy man.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't be happier with my justice but they both do incredible work!

The only glaring difference is john sometimes through his posting shows that he can be crazier then a Shit house rat :D but that shouldn't stop you from buying a case from him lol

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
As a JB owner I highly recommend them. I own one of the tough love series with the oil finished leather. The leather is top notch, the handles are thick, luxurious, and all the components are built like a tank.

But, there is one detail I simply hate.

My lower pocket has the standard zip on the side and one down the front. It's quite stately made with beautiful thick leather, and just plain worthless. It's hard to get anything in and out it small or large, and you can forget about storing a jump cue handle. Personally, I think he(and perhaps the whole industry) should abandon this style of pocket.

Make sure you get a wrap around zipper for the lower pocket and I believe you'll be a happy man.

I agree with Angldemn. John recently released some Flowers cases with L zippers on the square pockets. It makes it much easier to access.

I think the Justis cases also have the square pocket issue. But not sure if Jack offers an L zipper configuration.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Everyone,

I'm in the market for a nice case at this point. I already have a few, but this would be one that I have custom made with amenities that I like. I've read up on several websites and have pretty much narrowed it down to JB Cases and Jack Justis Cases. I've seen a Justis case in person and really liked it. However, the diversity of JB Cases and ability to have virtually anything on the case has really gotten me interested in it.

My question is basically, can you guys give me some insight on these cases from information you know? As in your experience with the cases, their durability, their value, etc. I'm just really a fan of both and can't afford to have both at this time, but want to make an informed decision.

As far as the cases go, you can't go wrong with either. Jack's cases are very desirable and John's line has expanded where the choices are many. (I really like the Mason series). John's cases have also reached an unsurpassed level of features and durability.

In terms of ownership, both are and will be collectible because of the relatively low production numbers. I predict that Justis cases will hold higher values in the long run (in relation to their cost) because of the fact that Jack simply cannot produce many cases and they will continue to be in demand for years to come.

Chris

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I have both a custom Justis and a custom JB. I wouldn't trade or sell either. If you are a case collector I think you need both.

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
I'm on my second JOHN BARTON , by the end of the year I will have a 3rd , the protection to cues is awesome,....

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have more cases than I'll admit to and think Jack's are the industry standard

Jack's are like a fine western boot with quality leather and nice tooling, if you are more of an Italian loafer type of guy I would look into Whitten's cases... Very nice and real smooth

I'm not a fan of the real tight tubing

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
JUstice is not taking ordrs anymore, and Murnack does not make cases anymore.......

Everyone,

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john sometimes through his posting shows that he can be crazier then a Shit house rat :D but that shouldn't stop you from buying a case from him lol

With creativity often comes madness.......I hope to be that crazy someday. :thumbup::thumbup: :wink:

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Justis has a big name, but they are not the best cases at all. They lack in the protection category quite a bit, which is what a case is suppose to do first and foremost. The leather work is great, but a case must protect cues well. Especially for that kind of money.

JB Cases are both well made, fancy, rugged and offer the best protection for your cues. I would rate these the best of the best.

After that, I would say Whitten. These protect the cues quite well, and are one of the finest made cases out there. Probably too fine, as you almost feel bad using them as a case and putting wear and tear on them. They are made like a custom briefcase or other fine leather product. They are not as rugged as JB's cases. But they do have some of the best features out there. The top handle design is the best in the industry, as you can carry your assembled cues around from table to table in a tournament in your case.

No experience with other customs like Murnak.

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
The worse pool related purchase I have ever made was a Murnak case. The quality was terrible considering how much I paid. I think the folks on here that brag about theirs got one before the quality went downhill or they have never had a good case to begin with. I was very disappointed!!!

John Barton sets the standard as far as I am concerned. I have had two Flowers Tributes and have a Barton custom on the way. I also like my Whitten. I wish I had the money for a Melton.

Last edited:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I would go JB for one simple reason, protection. A Justis case will protect your cue IF you are careful with the way you carry it, you never ever have to fly with your cues and check them into airlone baggage, if you never slip and fall on the ice while walking to your car and drop your case on the ground, your case never gets kicked over by some drunk in a bar, if you don't get into a car accident on the way home with your cue case in the trunk, ect... They are great protection as long as things are going perfect to the point that the cue has nothing to be protected against in the first place. Any other time? The cues move around WAY too much in a Justis case for my liking and things can get damaged when that case gets banged around, and there are simply times in our lives when despite everything something will happen. In alot of ways I see Justis cases as cue storage, not really cue protection.

A JB case though? It actually protects the cue really well in those rare instances when the cue actually needs it. The cues have no real room to move and are cushioned to the point that they do not bang around inside of the case on sudden momentum shifts caused by all sorts of events that we can often not avoid. JB cases do not just store cues, they protect them. If the cue is in the case and the case is closed then all sorts of unforseen events where the case gets banged around have alot less of a chance of damaging the cues.

If my cue was in a JB case and the case was knocked off a table onto a concrete floor I would feel pretty sure my cue was OK before ever opening the case because the cues can simply not move much due to the design of the interior. If that took place in a Justis case loaded with my shooter, break cue, and a few shafts I would be pretty nervous about possible damage to the cue that might have been done because things are going to have moved about inside the case on that fall.

If you really like the Justis look and owning such a classic and legendary case that is going to probably do nothing but go up in value? Get a Justis case and get the JB interior built to go into one. Then you are good to go.