An Eddie Taylor bank proposition

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a bank shot that Eddie Taylor showed me at one of the BCA Trade Shows. He said that he started the proposition with the cue ball a lot farther to the right (player's left) and would gradually move the cue ball up until the bank looks absolutely impossible because of the double kiss.

What's in the video is the final position where everyone in the hall is betting as much as they can. It seems reasonable to ask for five tries. The shot is more like 80% to make if you learn it. That's a good perception/fact ratio if you're trying to get next month's room rent together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuOLaU5pwpM

Unlike some of my propositions, there's no gaff in this one.;)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a bank shot that Eddie Taylor showed me at one of the BCA Trade Shows. He said that he started the proposition with the cue ball a lot farther to the right (player's left) and would gradually move the cue ball up until the bank looks absolutely impossible because of the double kiss.

What's in the video is the final position where everyone in the hall is betting as much as they can. It seems reasonable to ask for five tries. The shot is more like 80% to make if you learn it. That's a good perception/fact ratio if you're trying to get next month's room rent together.

Good one. FYI, I just added it with the following sentence to the cushion compression shots resource page:

Here's a bank shot (made famous by Eddie Taylor) that uses cushion compression and pocket facing stiffness to avoid a double kiss.

You should film and post more videos, and maybe add narrations to explain the shots.

Regards,
Dave

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cueball is jumping out of the way while the ob is in the cushion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Wow. Awesome shot. What kind of hit/ English?
I wondered the same thing. It has to be low inside and fast - looks like he cuts it quite a bit. And it hits right where a stiff pocket facing could help out with the angle, like Dr. Dave says.

Check the follow through. Nice shootin', Bob!

pj
chgo

View attachment 49270

Attachments

• taylorbank.jpg
    taylorbank.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,068
Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's gremlins.
I would have probably bet a few dollars on that one when I gambled.
Even though I learned the hard way, a long time ago, to never bet a man at his own game.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, good prop shot. Mr. Jewett some years back you contacted me wanting to speak to Vernon Elliott's about his crazy cross side rail shot. Vernon, a friend of mine, wasn't one to give up his "secret" prop shots and y'all didn't talk, lol. You figured it out but even you admitted it was one of the best. What is interesting about Vernon's shot is a story he told me involving Eddie Taylor. Vernon knew Eddie Taylor and they played. Vernon set up this shot and wagered $500 he could make the shot if given 10 attempts. Several people tried the shot and none came close to making it. Eddie was watching and attempted the shot and after several tries he didn't make it either. So he told Vernon he would take his bet but Vernon had to make it in 5 attempts. Vernon accepted the bet and the money was posted. On Vernon's first attempt he banked the ball "short" which you know is a near impossibility. Eddie started asking Vernon to let him out of the bet but it was too late. Vernon made it on his second shot and collected the money. Vernon told me he wouldn't ordinarily have made the shot so quickly because it killed all further bets but there was a strong rivalry between the two. Especially since one was from Kentucky and one Tennessee.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, good prop shot. Mr. Jewett some years back you contacted me wanting to speak to Vernon Elliott's about his crazy cross side rail shot. Vernon, a friend of mine, wasn't one to give up his "secret" prop shots and y'all didn't talk, lol. You figured it out but even you admitted it was one of the best. What is interesting about Vernon's shot is a story he told me involving Eddie Taylor. Vernon knew Eddie Taylor and they played. Vernon set up this shot and wagered $500 he could make the shot if given 10 attempts. Several people tried the shot and none came close to making it. Eddie was watching and attempted the shot and after several tries he didn't make it either. So he told Vernon he would take his bet but Vernon had to make it in 5 attempts. Vernon accepted the bet and the money was posted. On Vernon's first attempt he banked the ball "short" which you know is a near impossibility. Eddie started asking Vernon to let him out of the bet but it was too late. Vernon made it on his second shot and collected the money. Vernon told me he wouldn't ordinarily have made the shot so quickly because it killed all further bets but there was a strong rivalry between the two. Especially since one was from Kentucky and one Tennessee.

Great story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Any way you cut it, that's a good shot! Probably easier to make on a Diamond table where cross side banks near the side pocket reverse. Damn good shot on a Gold Crown. I think you should come to Vegas and play at Griffs (Banks and One Pocket). Maybe you can give an old timer like me a pool lesson. :thumbup:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those of you who don't know the bank Doug is referring to, here is a video of me making it at Derby City in 2008. I didn't realize I was being recorded. There goes my action on that proposition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5tbr4N0P_w

The object ball is completely on the flat of the cushion -- it is nowhere near the point of the side pocket. The shot requires a little outside english.:wink:

Oh, and I haven't stuck a straight pin into the cushion just past the OB -- that would be cheating.:grin-devilish:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those of you who don't know the bank Doug is referring to, here is a video of me making it at Derby City in 2008. I didn't realize I was being recorded. There goes my action on that proposition.

The object ball is completely on the flat of the cushion -- it is nowhere near the point of the side pocket. The shot requires a little outside english.:wink:

Oh, and I haven't stuck a straight pin into the cushion just past the OB -- that would be cheating.:grin-devilish:
Did you have chalk on the OB contact point? That would be "cheating" also. The following close-up slow-mo video shows the dramatic amount of bank angle change possible with cling:

HSV A.142 - Vernon Elliott cross-side bank with chalk on the object ball to increase throw and spin transfer

Here's another good proposition using both chalk and spit:

NV B.91 - Frozen-throw-down-rail proposition shot, from VEPS V

Regards,
Dave

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a couple years Vernon was on our BCA pool team, approx 2007. This was shortly before a stroke paralyzed his left side and confined him to a wheel chair. Hard to imagine I know. Vernon Elliott on a pool team, lol. Of course his hustling days were behind him and he really had fun. Always the first player to get to the room. We had a loaded team and won the sessions but contrary to what all would think, Vernon hardly ever won a game. And he never won a game if the opposing team put a girl up against him which they usually did. He cared little about winning at this point of his life. There was no money in it. But, back to his bank shot and this was only one of many he had. One night after league he was showing me this shot and I set the balls up for over an hour while he shot it. He would have me get directly behind him as he stroked the shot, or to the side, or in front. I imagined there was some trick to make it such as masse, etc. There was no chalk dust (not that he wouldn't do such a thing, lol) on the balls or anything else. His stroke was the primary secret weapon. And, by the way, the object ball was within a quarter inch of the side pocket too. As close as it could be set and not hit the cushion point. Vernon had command of the cue ball in ways few others ever had. Including the champions. Raphael Martinez stopped by for one of the 9 ball tournaments a couple years after Vernon was in his wheelchair and I introduced he and Vernon. After showing the shot to Raphael he said he believed he could make it. I set the shot up on a 9' Diamond table and after an hour of watching his attempts I had to leave. He had never made the ball. Talking to others later they said he finally did make the shot "once". He did win the 9 ball tournament though.
Vernon was probably the best ever. Most champions in his era agree. Ask his road partner Buddy Hall if Vernon wasn't the best ever.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My buddy does that shot but banks it in the corner. Long bank bottom rail to top corner. Looks like a scratch but he does it.

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member

That is an incredible bank! I am sure you would of won some money off of me just so I could of seen it live!