What % of players can run 100+ in straight pool

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you put up a poll, my guess is that 67% of AZers have run 100 multiple times. :)

I'll take the over.
My high run is 12 , but I was playing one pocket, and if you don't believe they were laying EZ you never saw me play, lol.

Last edited:

LowRight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's nowhere near 5%. I'd say less than 1%. I'd bet only players with a Fargo rating of 700 or more would be able to run 100 with any consistency.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are probably 10 men at my local pool room who have or are capable of running 100 if they played it regularly. I believe it would be within reach of any player who is 675+ fargo rated.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kristina Tkach, her Fargo was 701 earlier on in the yr(719 now). She ran 120+.

I thought I remember reading APA has something like near 250K members worldwide. So let's say 150K US members or the US having that many playing pool.

150(in the US) running 100+, so 1 in 1000.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kristina Tkach, her Fargo was 701 earlier on in the yr(719 now). She ran 120+.

I thought I remember reading APA has something like near 250K members worldwide. So let's say 150K US members or the US having that many playing pool.

150(in the US) running 100+, so 1 in 1000.

As mentioned above, there are about 15,000,000 people in the US who play once a month or more. The APA has a small fraction of those players as members.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15 million seems like a crazy high number even if its once a month.

I could easily be off based though.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
what about another question, what's the % of people who SAY they've run 100+ but actually haven't...

By experience I've learned VERY high....:wink:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
As mentioned above, there are about 15,000,000 people in the US who play once a month or more. The APA has a small fraction of those players as members.
That suggests about 500,000 monthly players in the Chicago metro area. My gut says (if I understand it over the rumbling) there's somewhere between 100 and 200 hundred-runners around here - that's 0.02% to 0.04% (1 of every 2,500 to 5,000) monthly players.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That suggests about 500,000 monthly players in the Chicago metro area. My gut says (if I understand it over the rumbling) there's somewhere between 100 and 200 hundred-runners around here - that's 0.02% to 0.04% (1 of every 2,500 to 5,000) monthly players.

pj
chgo
Would those be people who have run a hundred once or twice in their lives or who run a hundred every couple of weeks if they're playing a suitable length of straight pool match/practice?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what about another question, what's the % of people who SAY they've run 100+ but actually haven't...

By experience I've learned VERY high....:wink:

Lol

Dont wonder, just ask:p:D:cool:

Would a high run of 3 count?

I can prove the first 2 but the camera went dead before the 3rd ball....lol....

Camera not recording or going dead etc...etc...etc has been the one I've heard the most.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for all the responses, I did see a couple questions, and I will have to answer when I get back from work. When I mentioned regularity, I was thinking something like 1 time of breaking 100, about every 10 days of playing, which I considered "regular", that could be a fairly subjective term.

For the guys who were around when 14.1 was still pretty popular, do you think the %5 estimate was more reasonable, or still on the high side?

cheers.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 in it's prime, back in the 40's thru 70's, I would say 100 ball runners were common for Pros. Nowdays it is rarely played. If any Pro player put some time into learning the patterns, they could run 100 balls just like the Pros of years ago.
Times have changed and so did the pool games.

Personally, my high run is 58. I rarely play 14.1, sometimes just to practice. My Fargo is around the 668 range. I'm sure if I played 14.1 more often, I could eventually get a 100 ball run. But could I do it on a regular basis? I don't think I could. I believe to do 100 on a regular basis, your Fargo would have to be 700+ with some knowledge of the game/patterns. JMHO

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 in it's prime, back in the 40's thru 70's, I would say 100 ball runners were common for Pros. Nowdays it is rarely played. If any Pro player put some time into learning the patterns, they could run 100 balls just like the Pros of years ago.
Times have changed and so did the pool games.

Personally, my high run is 58. I rarely play 14.1, sometimes just to practice. My Fargo is around the 668 range. I'm sure if I played 14.1 more often, I could eventually get a 100 ball run. But could I do it on a regular basis? I don't think I could. I believe to do 100 on a regular basis, your Fargo would have to be 700+ with some knowledge of the game/patterns. JMHO

For anyone who knows: What percentage of rated players have a rating of 700 or higher?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Would those be people who have run a hundred once or twice in their lives or who run a hundred every couple of weeks if they're playing a suitable length of straight pool match/practice?
Definitely not regularly, but maybe several times in their lives - i.e., "capable" of it.

And, full disclosure, I'm pulling these figures directly out of my ass (whew!) - so they're only marginally better than actual stats.

pj <- :)
chgo

Last edited:

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Capable" of running and regularly running a hundred are two different things. Back in my home-town pool room, of the "pool room regulars" who were there gambling at least a few times a week, we probably had three or four guys that could hit you with a 100 and you wouldn't be surprised. Straight pool, I believe, is more about concentration and discipline than it is talent. I like to think I had (had) the talent to run a 100, but I never had the concentration to bear down that hard for that long.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing there are at least 200-250 million people who like to play pool on this planet, and maybe a few hundred are capable of running 100 balls. That is a very small fraction of 1%. Something like .0001 or a ten-thousandth of one per cent. If there are 1000 players who can do it that would increase the percentage to .0005.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I'm guessing there are at least 200-250 million people who like to play pool on this planet, and maybe a few hundred are capable of running 100 balls. That is a very small fraction of 1%. Something like .0001 or a ten-thousandth of one per cent.

I ran 68! That puts me in the .001 crowd!!! :dance::dance::dance: