How would you Get out?

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost hill-hill to an SL-7 the other night. I am solids. Dude had one of his only misses of the entire match and left me here. Thought I had an easy run-out for the epic upset. Didn't happen.

picture.php

My initial plan was to cheat the pocket just a bit, hit top-left on the 4. But upon closer inspection, any follow more than likely hits the 9 on the rail. Ended up opting to cheat the pocket with draw in hopes of bringing the cue ball out to the middle. I was pretty extended out, and I suck at getting good draw when I am over extended. Cue ends up in line with the five below the side pocket, leaving me a long, thin cut on the 6, which I proceeded to overcut. Dude runs out for the win.

Was it a solid plan with poor execution, or should I have been thinking something totally different. Thanks in advance for the tips!
The problem balls are the two by the spot, obviously. Normally you want to attack problems early, however, in the this layout, patience and execution are key. First shot is the blue 10 in the side with draw (yes you can by cheating the pocket, I've done it a million times), you can play to the opposite side rail for an angle on the 7. Now you are in good shape to come one rail for the orange ball which will play nicely on the yellow ball. Wet paper bag from here.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem balls are the two by the spot, obviously. Normally you want to attack problems early, however, in the this layout, patience and execution are key. First shot is the blue 10 in the side with draw (yes you can by cheating the pocket, I've done it a million times), you can play to the opposite side rail for an angle on the 7. Now you are in good shape to come one rail for the orange ball which will play nicely on the yellow ball. Wet paper bag from here.
Haaaa haaaa
Thought you had diagram issues and needed to run all 8 balls... the photo better explains. Same thing, just don't shoot the 7...lololololololol

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found this to be a good shot to practice. Forward is the easiest way out of this. Probably even easier on a bar table than my 9 footer as you can reach the cue ball more comfortably. As I said earlier, quite a simple shot even with a jinky stroke like mine. Here is my attempts.

https://youtu.be/6IgD83FvCe4

Awesome job on the video and thanks so much for posting it. Your setup is pretty accurate, although it was on the 7 footer, so the 9 on the diamond was closer to the pocket... much more like how it looks later in the video. I have set this up on my 7 footer at home, and can't get there consistently with follow.

6/10 times I just nudged the 9 enough to kill momentum and/or throw the cue ball somewhere unpredictable.

JC

Coos Cues
Awesome job on the video and thanks so much for posting it. Your setup is pretty accurate, although it was on the 7 footer, so the 9 on the diamond was closer to the pocket... much more like how it looks later in the video. I have set this up on my 7 footer at home, and can't get there consistently with follow.

6/10 times I just nudged the 9 enough to kill momentum and/or throw the cue ball somewhere unpredictable.

If you freeze the video in each of my shots where the cue ball hits the rail you can see it's not even close to the nine ball.

To make this shot you don't need any side at all. A medium firm high ball stroke hitting the object ball just the slightest bit to the left of center. The pocket should be big enough to accommodate this "cheating". Concentrate on the aiming point of the ball being the very slightest bit to the left of center and not on the pocket. You already know the shot is straight in. The cue ball will veer left down the tangent line before going forward just enough to not follow the ball in and strike the cusion. If you follow it in just aim a hair more to the left and I mean a hair. When you hit it good you won't come anywhere near the 9 ball even on your 7 footer. No side english, just high. Let the tiny angle you create do the work for you.

It's a good shot to practice it comes up a lot. Thanks for posting this, I realize I need work on this one too.:smile:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To make this shot you don't need any side at all. A medium firm high ball stroke hitting the object ball just the slightest bit to the left of center. The pocket should be big enough to accommodate this "cheating". Concentrate on the aiming point of the ball being the very slightest bit to the left of center and not on the pocket. You already know the shot is straight in. The cue ball will veer left down the tangent line before going forward just enough to not follow the ball in and strike the cusion. If you follow it in just aim a hair more to the left and I mean a hair. When you hit it good you won't come anywhere near the 9 ball even on your 7 footer. No side english, just high. Let the tiny angle you create do the work for you.

It's a good shot to practice it comes up a lot. Thanks for posting this, I realize I need work on this one too.:smile:

Ah, I see. I saw the layout and convinced myself that there had to be *some* left in order to get the ball to the center of the table, so I was hitting at about the 11 oclock position. I will give it a shot when I get home. Thanks!

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Has anyone asked what type of table you were playing? I mean, there's a huge difference between playing this shot on a valley barbox and a Diamond, for instance. On a Diamond table I'd go rail first with draw and cb comes toward center table. On a Valley or other table with wiggle room I'd simply shoot it loose and draw the cb out enough to clear the 10 and 12.

You said you got a shot on the 6 (a thin cut) but missed it. Maybe you could've played a safe off the 6 and froze your opponent to the back of the 7....?? When your "easy" runout gets thrown off track, reevaluate your options.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the 4 is so straight that you can’t draw the cue ball back then you can shoot the shot just like JC did. If you can’t shoot it like JC did that means there is enough angle to easily draw out for either the 6 or the 7 Either way this should be a pretty simple out.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I gotta go with the draw shot on the 4, cheat the pocket to the right
just a hair.. just get past the 12 and I'm out... and that depends on if
the pockets are tight or not. $.02

JC

Coos Cues
Yeah, I gotta go with the draw shot on the 4, cheat the pocket to the right
just a hair.. just get past the 12 and I'm out... and that depends on if
the pockets are tight or not. $.02

Drawing out is a lot easier if you are left handed.

In fact the entire shot is much easier if you're left handed.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drawing out is a lot easier if you are left handed.

In fact the entire shot is much easier if you're left handed.

Yes, for sure... on a bar box most players
should reach it.. I set it up on a 9’ GC and
got whitey to about center table.. mind you,
I’m six foot so ymmv.
Guess what? I tried high inside and the CB
hit the right hand side of the 9, came around
2 rails and out to past center table.. some
Efren position stuff! I’d never try that for the cheese !

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Guess what? I tried high inside and the CB
hit the right hand side of the 9, came around
2 rails and out to past center table.. some
Efren position stuff! I’d never try that for the cheese !
But now that you know the shot, it's just the thing to get your opponent to quit when you need to leave.:wink:

I don't recall ever seeing exactly that shot before. It would be useful if there was a blocker near the 9 that prevented the other paths and somehow the draw wasn't available.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If being extended was the problem then get comfortable using the bridge.

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
I play these with high right. You play for the cueball to hit right side of the nine ball. They make contact the cueball spins out two rails straight in on other two solids. Pretty much setup perfect to carom off the 9 ball As long as you don’t hit nine on left side which you would have to play the 4 ball sloppy to do that or hit 9 ball dead center with the cueball in which cueball would double kiss off nine and still would have a steep cut on other solids. The carom and spin off shot should be in your arsenal if you are Fargo 575 or higher or APA 6 or higher IMO.

JC

Coos Cues
I play these with high right. You play for the cueball to hit right side of the nine ball. They make contact the cueball spins out two rails straight in on other two solids. Pretty much setup perfect to carom off the 9 ball As long as you don’t hit nine on left side which you would have to play the 4 ball sloppy to do that or hit 9 ball dead center with the cueball in which cueball would double kiss off nine and still would have a steep cut on other solids. The carom and spin off shot should be in your arsenal if you are Fargo 575 or higher or APA 6 or higher IMO.

Why would you want to contact the nine ball if not necessary? Maybe if every other path was blocked but with this layout? I would like to see a video of this executed a half dozen times in a row by an amateur player. I think I will be waiting a fair stretch. My money is on running into those two balls by the spot at least half the time and missing the nine ball the other half or hitting it too full and dying on that rail.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's the shot I described in a previous post.. carom off the 9. Those are
shots that need practice.. I used to see Efren practicing rotation, where he'd
use caroms to get position.. sometimes using a ball as a stopper for whitey.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would you want to contact the nine ball if not necessary? Maybe if every other path was blocked but with this layout? I would like to see a video of this executed a half dozen times in a row by an amateur player. I think I will be waiting a fair stretch. My money is on running into those two balls by the spot at least half the time and missing the nine ball the other half or hitting it too full and dying on that rail.

Agreed...damn near same chance of a double kiss scratch, as getting more than a diamond away from that end rail...much less anywhere near middle table..

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the shot I described in a previous post.. carom off the 9. Those are
shots that need practice.. I used to see Efren practicing rotation, where he'd
use caroms to get position.. sometimes using a ball as a stopper for whitey.

Stopping on a ball is a wholly different thing, imo. Way easier.

That said, I have seen Efren shoot balls in his hole and come 2 rails out of his opponent's corner, then behind a ball on opponent's side...knocking that ball out to middle of table, where he then cuts it in and goes up-table.

what Efren does is a viable choice...for Efren!
:bow-down:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stopping on a ball is a wholly different thing, imo. Way easier.

That said, I have seen Efren shoot balls in his hole and come 2 rails out of his opponent's corner, then behind a ball on opponent's side...knocking that ball out to middle of table, where he then cuts it in and goes up-table.

what Efren does is a viable choice...for Efren!
:bow-down:

Agreed.. when Efren does that.. I'm Not Worthy. As mentioned, I
sure wouldn't try a carom off that 9 ball for the cheese. I tried it
4 or 5 times, only got shape once.:rolleyes:

Efren playing the Ghost Rotation.. some nice caroms in this one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LSDBHLG5eyQ

Last edited: