Why did 7 Ball fade out?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been utubing some old 7 ball matches, and it doesn't seems like it has as many issues folks commonly complain about 9 ball.

-It is call pocket, no slop
- the non breaker getting to choose sides for the 7 ball is cool, and keeps the non breaker at least somewhat involved.
- games move along at a good pace.
- Usually, having to kick at or bank the seven results in some pretty creative shots, sort of like i pocket.

Just wondering if those involved during that time can give some input as to why it was replaced by 9 ball on a large scale?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Been utubing some old 7 ball matches, and it doesn't seems like it has as many issues folks commonly complain about 9 ball.

-It is call pocket, no slop
- the non breaker getting to choose sides for the 7 ball is cool, and keeps the non breaker at least somewhat involved.
- games move along at a good pace.
- Usually, having to kick at or bank the seven results in some pretty creative shots, sort of like i pocket.

Just wondering if those involved during that time can give some input as to why it was replaced by 9 ball on a large scale?

As did Bonus Ball....pro players got a few good paydays. It was good on paper, but wasn't in the real world. Rack around was another dead end will allot less up front $$$$$. It's near impossible to create a new game/format by a businessman that works for the sport/game/pros/tv.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As did Bonus Ball....pro players got a few good paydays. It was good on paper, but wasn't in the real world. Rack around was another dead end will allot less up front $$$$$. It's near impossible to create a new game/format by a businessman that works for the sport/game/pros/tv.

So was 7 ball a made for tv game that was never embraced in the pool halls?

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Don't know. But I'd like to have one of the special 7 balls they used for the old timers in the 80s I believe.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So was 7 ball a made for tv game that was never embraced in the pool halls?
I saw a little bit in a local pool hall -- there was one B-level player who was a fan. It appeared that the wing balls were dead on the break.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
He means this one, received from Charlie Ursitti

37979801_1908396612787249_4676942166679879680_n.jpg

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I've got one too. Used to play 7 ball back in the day. I've had this ball for probably 35 years. Haven't played the game in probably 25 years. Might try some tomorrow since you reminded me.
20190221_165913_resized.jpg

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something to be said for perfect color-matching on the “current” special offering Aramith 7 ball being made for the Seven Ball game lovers I see in this thread:

34bc295ad2450e2e383893f2b48e158d.jpg

The older vintage version ball does look great when paired with unnumbered balls 1 through 6 but may look a tad out of place with your other “typical” balls.

~ K

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If memory serves me right Allen Hopkins invented Seven Ball so Minnesota Fats could have a chance at winning aginst Mosconi. We ran a good bit of seven ball tournaments in my old poolroom in the early 90s. We handicapped it with three different handicaps. Weaker players could shoot the seven in any pocket. Medium players had the normal side, and stronger players got one pocket.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember in the early 2000s that espn brought it back with revised rules- you could only play one safety per rack- after that you had to go for a shot. If you missed it was ball in hand. I kind of liked it- made for some really aggressive play

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember in the early 2000s that espn brought it back with revised rules- you could only play one safety per rack- after that you had to go for a shot. If you missed it was ball in hand. I kind of liked it- made for some really aggressive play

That was the Sudden Death Seven Ball rule set that ESPN used - good memory.

Played 2000-2005
Invitation only - 8 “notable” players.
Single elimination.
Two sets with each a race to 7.
Player had to win BOTH sets.
If a tie, they play ONE sudden death rack.
Only 1 intentional safety per game.
Pocketing the 7 ball on the break was NOT a win in this version - it was spotted.

We play 7-Ball all the time with my cadre of cueists here for monthly get-togethers and everyone loves it - both current rule book version as well as the ESPN SDSB version.

~ K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk