Master instructors, lulz

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking through the list of PBIA master instructors, I see Mr. CTE is listed as a master instructor...
How can someone be a master instructor, if so few people can understand the concepts they teach even after a couple DVDs?

Odd to me, anyone else think the same?

FuManchu

Not a Pro Player
Silver Member
I was looking throught the list of PBIA master instructors, I see Mr. CTE is listed as a master instructor...
How can someone be a master instructor, if so few people can understand the concepts they teach even after a couple DVDs?

Shots fired! Subscribed for the replies!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking through the list of PBIA master instructors, I see Mr. CTE is listed as a master instructor...

Some teachers teach more than one subject.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some teachers teach more than one subject.

According to Stan (or Connie who supposedly now types out all of Stans comments on AZ), another master instructor who teaches CTE doesn't know what he is talking about...
Hmmmm
Some teachers teach different things but call it the same, or apparently don't know what they are teaching, or......

So which PBIA master instructor is right??? LoL

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

I'm not a fan of CTE but you have to remember that Aiming is very subjective. When it comes to the things that matter like your stance, foot setup, stroke, grip, bridge those things stand between you and making balls more than a lot of people understand.

The successful coach imo does the best job of making sure all of the above listed practices are good for you and your body type.

Ex. I started to let one of my feet get to wide on a certain shot recently and since I'm not watching myself play it sort of puzzled me because it was only during warm up time that I'd have problems not so much during a match.

I was talking to a friend of mine and told him I missed 3 shots in practice I normally don't and he was watching and said you were in a hurry trying to get to a table to warm up, your feet were too wide to the right. Sure enough that's exactly what it was. I went right back to the table, set up right and nailed the shot.

Upon doing some more work with my stance I found out that probably most of the misses I have aren't due to aiming its stroke related that is influenced by a rush to get in my stance. Sometimes what feels good at first isn't and that's the tricky part of it. You have to make sure you have a clear path for your stroke and can maintain it straight through. If your foot is out, your body could be turned a little which is connected to the shoulder and thusly your arm.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Stan (or Connie who supposedly now types out all of Stans comments on AZ), another master instructor who teaches CTE doesn't know what he is talking about...
Hmmmm
Some teachers teach different things but call it the same, or apparently don't know what they are teaching, or......

Not turning this thread into an aiming thread, but, IMHO, if you've played pool for as many years as some on here have and you still can't aim, or don't know where to hit the object ball, you need to quit.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmmm

He used his son's talent as a gateway into marketing an aiming system. This is the billiard world, don't expect much and you'll be happier.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without directly commenting on the topic, recorded or print instruction is somewhat like a photograph, in that it is a static piece of information.

Sometimes, one of the skills teachers possess is the ability to discern the different learning styles of their students and cater lessons to them.

And that can't be done in non-interactive lessons.

:shrug:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not turning this thread into an aiming thread, but, IMHO, if you've played pool for as many years as some on here have and you still can't aim, or don't know where to hit the object ball, you need to quit.

If a person is master instructor and can't teach people a system, and two DvDs later it seems most people still need a book to understand the concepts, maybe master "instructor" isn't the correct word.

Does the PBIA certify people as instructors that really shouldn't be instructors, well that was more the point of the thread, not an aiming thread or bash CTE.

But when two master instructors are teaching a system and neither is on the same page, does any of that fall on the PBIA?

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
If a person is master instructor and can't teach people a system, and two DvDs later it seems most people still need a book to understand the concepts, maybe master "instructor" isn't the correct word.

Does the PBIA certify people as instructors that shouldn't be instructors was more the point of the thread, not an aiming thread.
But when two master instructors are teaching a system and neither is on the same page, does any of that fall on the PBIA?

No the PBIA has their own criteria for deciding who gets a master designation. Its costs quite a bit of money to get there and you have to really want it to get it, which means you have to beat the bushes to get students. I have the first level of instruction long story but it didn't cost me much but I have no desire to get any more of their levels.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No the PBIA has their own criteria for deciding who gets a master designation. Its costs quite a bit of money to get there and you have to really want it to get it, which means you have to beat the bushes to get students. I have the first level of instruction long story but it didn't cost me much but I have no desire to get any more of their levels.

Okay so its just as reliable as a BBB A+ rating.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I wonder how way back in 1954 kids at the Boys Club played 8 Ball, were so good, they broke & ran out without AIDS or Master Instructors available for a price in 2020?

Must have been something in the water.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a side note, how did your eye surgery go?

I had cataract surgery on my right eye (the one I had a detached retina in a couple of years ago) a little more than a month ago. I am now 20/20 for distance in that eye.

My left eye is more screwed up than my right eye was. I need cataract surgery and a couple more procedures to fix that one up. I am having one surgery on March 25, that may turn into two surgeries at the same time. One for fixing a retina problem and catact surgery in the same setting. The retina surgery will require that I will get a bubble injected in my eye after the procedure and I will have to lay face downward for a few days in order for the retina to be pushed back down flat.

When I had a bubble injected into my right eye for the detached retina, the bubble stayed in my eye for a couple months before it dissolved. Afterwards, they drained my eye and refilled it with saline solution to get rid of the floaters. That is my eye that I'm 20/20 with again.

I am sure they will have to do the same thing with my left eye once the bubble is dissolved. I have a floater in that eye now that is driving me crazy, already.

I'm looking forward to getting everything over with.

I play pool now with my good right eye and wear a contact in my left eye, which I hope will be fixed with the upcoming surgery.

Thanks for asking.

Aloha

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Oh great, let's all bash the instructors again.

Just let it go, plz.

I don't care about any "official credentials". I don't care if the coach taught Elvis Presley or the Pope. I don't even care if they taught any famous players, because, usually what happens is that a player is 95% developed, then a coach swoops in and tries to take credit for the whole thing. We have one of these vulture coaches in Europe, quite famous too. Won't name him.

I care about the following:
Does the coach teach sound techniques:
1. Four point contact
2. Stroke with pauses
3. Proper stroke timing
4. Proper breaking technique, with body rise and everything.

Does the coach teach proper strategies:
1. High percentage safes, with low hit probability
2. Proper patterns
3. Use of side spin as a tool to get out in a high percentage manner

Can the coach demonstrate what he teaches:
1. Does he play at a high level, or did so in the past?
2. If he sets up a drill, can he complete it?
3. Is his stroke and stance textbook, or if not, is there a good reason why?

Red flags:
1. Advocates center ball as a way to play professional speed
2. Doesn't teach break properly
3. Goes against the established practises of pros, without being able to demonstrate that his way is superior.
4. Overly hung up on basic level drills
5. Lots of physics and maths, few balls in the pocket...
6. Cookie cutter approach

If a coach passes these hurdles, then I don't care about any sort of certification. If they don't pass, I won't hire them. Someone else might, and that's perfectly fine. I've picked up lots of tips from guys who can't play a lick. I won't hire them to teach me, though.

Last edited: