Question about pins

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard people refer to cues as 'big pin' and I never have been able to find an answer to what this means?

I was hitting with a guy's cue over the weekend, it felt great and he said it was a 3/8x10 big pin.

So I guess my question is there some pins that are considered 'big pins'? If so which are?

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I have heard people refer to cues as 'big pin' and I never have been able to find an answer to what this means?

I was hitting with a guy's cue over the weekend, it felt great and he said it was a 3/8x10 big pin.

So I guess my question is there some pins that are considered 'big pins'? If so which are?

3/8 of an inch is the "big" part; the width of the post.

The number after, x10, or 10tpi, is the measure of the number of threads per inch, hence TPI.

A radial is the standard, "big pin", which is 3/8" x 8. It has fewer, wider-spaced threads.

Generally the bigger the pin size, the fewer the threads.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

yes, 3/8 x 10 threads per inch (many cuemakers use this pin type as their standard), and there are 3/8 x 11 threads per inch (like what SW cues use and Blue Grass cues typically use these, also), and radial pins are all examples of "big pin" cues.

Some standard pins are 5/16 x 14tpi like Scruggs, Black Boar, Tascarella, Balabushka, Szamboti and many more typically used (these are stainless steel joints), then there's 5/16 x 18tpi seen on Meucci, Gina and TADS.

best,
brian kc

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Typically people use big pin when referring to a cuemaker.

An example would be Scruggs whose normal pin is 5/16x14. A big pin Scruggs would be a 3/8x10 made by him.

It is normally not said to be a big pin cue if 3/8x10 is their standard pin from my experience.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
MOST Big pins are 3/8 10
However,
Cognoscenti installed 7/16 x 10 pins- G 10 MATERIAL

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

The common sizes for joint threaded pin diameters for a few decades for pool cues were:

5/16" dia. (usually into a piloted joint with brass female insert)

and

3/8" dia. (usually threaded directly into the shaft)

Out of the two, one of them is bigger than the other (the 3/8th is bigger), so it was called the big pin. It's really no more mystical than that.

Some companies like Mali different joints. I happened to have a Mali with a small pin. But they made them big pins.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Typically people use big pin when referring to a cuemaker.

An example would be Scruggs whose normal pin is 5/16x14. A big pin Scruggs would be a 3/8x10 made by him.

It is normally not said to be a big pin cue if 3/8x10 is their standard pin from my experience.

Respectfully, only because you brought Mr. Scruggs up.
5/16x14. 3/8x10. 3/8x10 acme and Radial. I'm pretty sure he didn't make them.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MOST Big pins are 3/8 10
However,
Cognoscenti installed 7/16 x 10 pins- G 10 MATERIAL

I agree except Cognoscenti uses a modified 7/16x11. I think Cue Com was/is also using the 7/16" I just don't remember if Cue Coms is 11 or 10 threads. I remember some knock offs being made years ago, 7/16x10. I had talked to Mr. Gold about them.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you guys have totally confused the OP.
Good information and I get it.
But..................................

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you guys have totally confused the OP.
Good information and I get it.
But..................................

No confusion for me. I guess the real question is, does it make a difference in feel? The big pin felt different, but it could be a lot of things that made it feel different.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
anything bigger than the pin used by szamboti,balabushka,schon,mottey

the old fashion piloted 5/16 14 ,anything bigger than this is called
i think was called a big pin

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No confusion for me. I guess the real question is, does it make a difference in feel? The big pin felt different, but it could be a lot of things that made it feel different.

Well thats good.
There was talk of a lot of different pins.

I have 3 cues with different pins but they all have different construction so they do feel a little different.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member

Probably nothing to do with the pin and more to do with shaft taper or balance point of the cue over all. For the most part as long as the butt and the shaft make a solid connection the pin makes very little difference in hit of a cue. One of the last things I worry about in a cue.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

it's surprising to me sometimes the difference a tip can make. :thumbup:

or a ferrule; or a combo of the two...

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

3/8 x 10 and Radial are "big pins", don't think any other ones are talked about that way. The Mezz Wavy joint wold also be but it's basically a 3/8 x 10 and a Radial mixed together and is not very common.