low deflection walmart cue

sausage

Banned
i couldn't take any more from that Mcdermott graphite cue so today while at wallmart, i bought another sportcraft, fiberglass cue. the chepie wally-cue shoots so much better than that very nice looking, Mcdermott. well, after i removed the screw-on tip and glued a triangle on it. this wally cue is, in fact, a low-deflection cue. i can really put spin on the cue with this thing and the cue doesn't squirt off-line nearly as much as that Mcdermott. with the McCue i couldn't spin the ball at all without sending the cue into another dimension somewhere. plus my centerball longshots are a breeze now. i don't get it but i'm putting the Mcdermott on craigslist asap. when the weather clears, i'm painting that wally cue. my god it's ugly.... but i can play again. i can't believe what a difference this thing made in my game...

sausage

Banned
well, i was university pool champ so i'm not a complete hack. i really wanted to keep that mcdermott but it plays like crap because of the extreme amount of deflection. the sportcraft cue is fiberglass but with a hollow shaft. they are both straight.

i will up an example of the difference between the two cues if i get a chance. i can easily make shots with that wally cue that i wouldn't even attempt with the mcdermott.

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Any reason why you posted this in the 14.1 section?
Oh never mind i think I figured it out. :rolleyes:

Fastolfe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A smooth stroke executes spin on the cue ball. Hold on to your Mcdermott the WalMart cue maybe warped which is helping with spin & hitting center cue ball. They sell no cues that I'm aware of that shoots like a magic wand. Find one you like the feel of and stick with it and practice. You will never get better blaming it on your cue.

Nobody sells cues that shoot like a magic wands. Even $3000 cues are useless lumps of wood if you can't play. As you say yourself, it's a smooth stroke that puts spin on a cue ball. And you're also correct when you say he should like the feel of the stick: if he likes the Wallyworld cue better than the McDermott, he'll play better with it. There's no shame in playing with a cheap cue if it works for you.

As for warped cues, while they are not nice to play with, it's perfectly possible to shoot straight with one: just find the "spine" of the curvature and always play with it pointing down. That's what I do when I play with a house cue. In fact, I choose a house cue based on its tip, not its curvature.

sausage

Banned
well, i gave the mc another chance today after i re-groomed the tip and sloped the edges more. that made a bid difference and i can shoot with it now. it still has a lot more deflection than the wally cue though. i'm also wondering if those graphite/wood shafts need to be broken in to remove the stiffness.