Instructional Video Part II

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
thank you so much! great video, and love, Love, LOVE the narration!

one question: where you got in trouble at 32:45, might you have shot that solid ball (maybe the 8?) up table? looks like that might've loosened things up a little and left you in good position?

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
instructional

Real nice. I am sending a link to our leagues. If they listen, they will learn.

Lots of nice tips. English to use, insurance balls, two way shape, leave the table on a safe rather than miss.

Good stuff.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Very well done Mike !!!

the second one was by far better than the 1st, much more informative. i would of done a few things different but thats just preference. especially in the 2nd rack. when you had the early breakshot just sitting there the whole time with the keyball right above it into the side pocket.. like i said. just preference. maybe you didn't see it that way since you didn't leave that side of the table to see it. you had chose the right handed breaksot and you had to move alot to get there.

Look forward to watching No. 3, your commentary skills are getting alot better.

thanks for introducing Roxy, She's great !

-Steve

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Big Thanks

Very well done Mike !!!

the second one was by far better than the 1st, much more informative. i would of done a few things different but thats just preference. especially in the 2nd rack. when you had the early breakshot just sitting there the whole time with the keyball right above it into the side pocket.. like i said. just preference. maybe you didn't see it that way since you didn't leave that side of the table to see it. you had chose the right handed breaksot and you had to move alot to get there.

Look forward to watching No. 3, your commentary skills are getting alot better.

thanks for introducing Roxy, She's great !

-Steve

Good to see that you finally made a comment. I sincerely appreciate it.
Matter of fact, I appreciate the other comments above just as much.
Never did anything like that before and it was hard. A lot of pressure, which is good b/c I wanted to challenge myself.
That rack that you are talking about. I know what you are saying but the way I went about it is the way that I would do it again if I had to do it over.
Yes, there are different ways to run patterns and I also pointed a few different ways on a few different shots.

PS: Don't know if there will be a #3. I have to think about it.

Last edited:

joewag2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, thanks soooo much for takeing the time to do this! You did an excellent job explaining your shots, english, and why.

I love straight pool, but all my friends live and die 8-ball. It's tough learning by yourself and this is a BIG Help!

Nice shooting by the way! :eek:k:

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
It took all day to load up but here it is.
I hope that everyone enjoys it.
http://vimeo.com/26598377

"wigglybridge" The 6 ball was slightly blocking the 8 ball just enough to keep me from shooting the 8 ball.

Thank you, Mike!

I liked this one as well. :)

I think I liked a combo between the first and second. The second one b/c you explained what English you used, and the first was a little faster paced, so I liked that as well.

So, important question: when is the next 50? ;)

(I know, I'm a pressure hound!)

BTW, these are very helpful videos. :thumbup:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thank You

Thank you, Mike!

I liked this one as well. :)

I think I liked a combo between the first and second. The second one b/c you explained what English you used, and the first was a little faster paced, so I liked that as well.

So, important question: when is the next 50? ;)

(I know, I'm a pressure hound!)

BTW, these are very helpful videos. :thumbup:

Thank you for the nice comment. I enjoy helping players who want to learn.
Hope that your match tonight turned out good for you.

Jack (alphadog) came over tonight. We played some 14.1 and a few sets of 8 ball. Not only is Jack a good player but he is a gentlemen too.
Thanks Jack for stopping over. I enjoyed our playing time.

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is some great stuff. I hope to see more videos like this. I've dabbled in some straight pool, with a high run of 12 lol. I really wish all instructional videos were narrated like this.

My one question is though, why do you use side spin on the cue ball even though you're never contacting a rail?

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
This video is just plain awesome, and I am glad you took the time to tell what your plans were to get through some racks. Thanks this video makes me want to go shoot some more.

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
Thank you for the nice comment. I enjoy helping players who want to learn.
Hope that your match tonight turned out good for you.

Jack (alphadog) came over tonight. We played some 14.1 and a few sets of 8 ball. Not only is Jack a good player but he is a gentlemen too.
Thanks Jack for stopping over. I enjoyed our playing time.

I won my match Friday! Good thing Jack came to your house and you didn't come to watch - the race to 100 too FOUR hours b/c my opponent played so and also b/c we played a lot of safes. Mostly b/s of the former, not the latter, tho.

I was down 25 to 55 at one point and somehow still won 100-86. No high runs, but I prevailed somehow!

Must be the knowledge I'm learning from your vids :)

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
really enjoyed your video! i decided to not go practice today and luckily found your vid on "az" and got some quality practice from it. thanks for your time and effort, job well done. maybe my favorite game but don't get to play it enough. try for "III".

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
After I watched your first instructional I knew I will have to watch the second :) Not only because this style of instruction is good but you also called it better than the first one. And yes it is, you take care to mention some important things like leaving a table on a safe rather than a miss, etc. Very good style, very informative. Now I only wish Bill Marop comes out with something like that ;)

=a little off note=
Like in Bill's videos, pets which show up during the run bring good share of laughter. Roxie is a funny dog, sure she's got enough energy to have fun all the day long. I liked her patiently waiting and being serious until you spot her and asked "Who's there?" I chuckled at her lively reaction :thumbup: Hope to see more of your "short" commented runs and more Roxie!

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I won my match Friday! Good thing Jack came to your house and you didn't come to watch - the race to 100 too FOUR hours b/c my opponent played so and also b/c we played a lot of safes. Mostly b/s of the former, not the latter, tho.

I was down 25 to 55 at one point and somehow still won 100-86. No high runs, but I prevailed somehow!

Must be the knowledge I'm learning from your vids :)

Knowledge is the real power-especially in straight-pool :)
gogo little queenie^^

lg
Ingo

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
Great video, Mike. Really "down to earth" in your explanations. What gets me are shots like in the first rack where you come of the rail into the balls and in the rack where you shoot the ball in the side and go into the balls. Somehow I always seem to get stuck with no shot when I play those.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thanks

Thanks for all the comments & the PM's.
I am trying to get Roxie & her sister Sophie to be in my next video but I can't get them to sit still while I try to talk to them....LOL