What is a fair price P/H

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
I was recently approached and ask to give lessons . I am no world beater but have several runs over 100 with my highs of 205 & 183 I know a little about the game . What is fair ? I dont want to beat anyone but I was insulted by the hourly rate I was offered. Please let me know your thoughts on this !

dearnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only experience I have in this is as a buyer of lessons. From a business standpoint, the answer is "whatever the market will bear", which in the case of pool lessons, is probably not much over an extended period of time. Some of it depends on what you are trying to accomplish: support your family or just get some fair compensation for you spending your time. For me personally as a buyer of lessons and as someone with the means to pay whatever, $30/hour seems reasonable for someone who is knowledgeable and can convey that knowledge reasonably well. I would strike up a long term coaching relationship for that. If someone is truly exceptional in execution and teaching, I might go into the 60-100/hour range, but I'm not going to be buying many lessons for that price even if they are awesome.

Some people just get great enjoyment out of teaching others what they know and for them, free and the satisfaction of watching someone grow is enough.

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
I would help anyone for free. I am not looking to do this as a job but like I said I was asked If some one needed help with one shot I would help but if someone is looking for hours of instruction (knowledge that took years) I think it worth at least ?

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
The caliber or the student

Depends on the caliber of the student. If a duffer wants lessons you should charge what a good 'Handyman' in you area would charge per hour. If a pro wants lessons, then charge what a lawyer in your area would charge.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would this be a one-time thing or extended period? I was paid $30 per hour in the mid to late '80s and at the same time a pro who is a friend of mine was charging $75 per hour. I'd charge a bit more if it was a one time thing and a bit less if it was going to be a series of lessons. I really don't know what would be considered fair today. $50-60, maybe?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know about 6 or 7 players that play way under me. I do try to help them out here and there with a shot that I see they have no clue what to do.
Not one has asked for help on a continuing basis. And at this point in my life I would freely give lessons just to pass along the knowledge of 52 years of playing before I can't do it anymore.
I don't want to come off as the know it all so most of the time I say nothing.
I know when I was leaning to play I was a pain in the butt to the better players about learning the game and that was back in the day when guys were loath to tell you anything for fear you would use it to beat them.
Why don't these guys ask! Pride? Fear of being turned down?

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
You can only give yourself the answer Greg.
Some do it for free, some makin a living from it...so you then have to take money.
And there is also nothing wrong, if you would also charge for lessons. Believe me, if you start seriously to teach more and more, you ll see that this usually needs a big amount of time (very big, if you take it seriously, with structured plans, analysing over months etc. ). So then you would have to ask yourself, what your freetime is worth.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know when I was leaning to play I was a pain in the butt to the better players about learning the game and that was back in the day when guys were loath to tell you anything for fear you would use it to beat them.
Why don't these guys ask! Pride? Fear of being turned down?

Yeah, most guys back then wouldn't tell you anything even if you offered to pay them. Shorty (may he RIP) comes to mind. You wouldn't even get the courtesy of a reply, he'd just snarl & glare at you.

There's a certain pecking order in most (real) poolrooms. The best player(s) are often viewed as gods. Human nature is to want to be accepted by someone they look up to & are very reluctant to do anything to upset them. Gods are viewed as unapproachable. A few well chosen words such as "any time you have a question about something, don't hesitate to ask" conveyed to just one regular & a week later every C&D player in the place will know about it. Course you may never play again cuz all your time will now be spent anwsering questions.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Dallas West charged $100 per hour.

Danny Diliberto charged $50 per hour.

Tom Karabotsos, who has run over 200 is doing a seminar this weekend where he will get $200 in 3 hours with a total of 8 students.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you respond? You are practicing by yourself. I guy you do not know offers to help you. You offer to pay. He says that is not enough. This guy is not a teaching pro. He is a good player according to some other regulars, but you do not know him or anything about him. By the way the offer was $20 an hour. He wanted $30. Most people don't make $30 or even $20 an hour.

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
The fact is you were trying a kick shot over and over & over , you could not even hit the ball I said do you want to see how to make it ? First shot I hit it your reply was well ya didn't make it . I offered help on 1 shot . I know my knowledge is worth allot more than $20 per hour and I don't need your $20 but you can't buy knowledge

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you mean you can't buy knowledge? When someone takes a lesson are are buying someone's knowledge.
You had no idea what I was experimenting with when you saw me kicking.

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
You are correct I should have just minded my own business like I normally do & certainly will do in the future !

PC_John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now now children, one said $20, the other said $30, both said no. End of story. :smile:

More then likely someone there will show you how to kick for free, if you got the right attitude. :wink: