Consensus on quality ball set?

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had a table for two months, cloth looks like it’s ten years old. Friction burns and wear tracks all over. Chalk is part of the problem. Amazing how it gets everywhere. I’m about two thirds of the way through first cube. You’d think I dumped a truck load on there. I’m switching to Toam, and getting a better attachment for the shopvac. That should help. I need a better ball set, one that won’t beat up the cloth so much. $100, $400, whatever, at this point, I don’t care. There is so much conflicting info on here, I’m unsure. One would assume, Aramith Tournament, end of story. Is that the case? Some things to consider. I really like Centennial and the blue circle cue ball. You can really make that cue ball dance. No way I can use that for home table. When I match up, play league, shoot tournaments, it’s usually Valley Cougar or Red circle cue ball. The Super Pros are high quality, but they get weird spots, WTF? Does this happen with the Tournament set? Is the measles cue ball similar to the red circle? By the way, I don’t have a ball polisher, and I won’t be getting one. Warm and wet, once in a while, by hand.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If money were no object, I would get one of these 3 which I listed in no particular order of preference.

1. Aramith Duramith

2. Cyclop Zeus

3. Brunswick Centennial

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Listen here, mojo risin...

That table is gonna get played on and it is gonna show and you are gonna enjoy the hell out of it.

Carry on.

(Cyclop, btw..,though I can't say they are any more gentle on the cloth than any other premium set)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 444

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You’re right, it’s gonna get beat up. If I wanted it to look brand new, I’d just stay upstairs. ;)Zeus appears to be out of stock, Hyperions?

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
just gotta get in the habit of daily, semi daily vacuuming.
with a very soft horse hair type nozzle.
Can do a wipe down & vacuum 15 - 20 minutes.
even using the pointy thing under the cushion.

https://manningcues.com/8-Ball-Sets/ has cyclops, I'm not positive,
I thought a couple of weeks ago the TV set was 320.00 today 350.00
he has the black also 401.00.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswick centennial’s or Aramith tournament would be your top two choices. I will say that the blue circle cue ball that comes with the centennial set does retain chalk marks way worse than most other cue balls. Whether you choose either of those two sets, I would order a second cue ball - an Aramith red circle cue ball. That is easily the best high quality cue ball on the market for minimizing chalk marks on the ball, and my guess is you’ll end up preferring that cue ball whether ordering either of those two sets.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If you on a budget, and you only need a set that rolls great, check out many price point Ball Set on E-bay.

Can be cleaned in a few minutes with polish cleaner, and old t-shirt easly.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had a table for two months, cloth looks like it’s ten years old. Friction burns and wear tracks all over. Chalk is part of the problem. Amazing how it gets everywhere. I’m about two thirds of the way through first cube. You’d think I dumped a truck load on there. I’m switching to Toam, and getting a better attachment for the shopvac. That should help. I need a better ball set, one that won’t beat up the cloth so much. $100, $400, whatever, at this point, I don’t care. There is so much conflicting info on here, I’m unsure. One would assume, Aramith Tournament, end of story. Is that the case? Some things to consider. I really like Centennial and the blue circle cue ball. You can really make that cue ball dance. No way I can use that for home table. When I match up, play league, shoot tournaments, it’s usually Valley Cougar or Red circle cue ball. The Super Pros are high quality, but they get weird spots, WTF? Does this happen with the Tournament set? Is the measles cue ball similar to the red circle? By the way, I don’t have a ball polisher, and I won’t be getting one. Warm and wet, once in a while, by hand.

I own a set of: Duramiths, Aramith Pro, Cyclop Hyperion, and Centennials.

They are all great sets of balls. But what I choose to play with on a regular basis are the Centennials.

Lou Figueroa

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would start looking at the Aramith premiums ($165)(not the premiers) and any set from Aramith above the price point of the Premiums. Any of them sets will be fairly easy on your cloth because of the better phenolic resins they use for them.

Also any of the cylcops sets that you can find will be good also. I especially like the hyperions.

Brunswick centennials are also a good choice of course.

There are couple newer sets out there like the dynaspheres, I image most of the them are pretty good, maybe even better than what I mentioned, but they may not even be available yet, and they aren't really tested out by many people.

Just pick a set that fits your budget that you like the looks of.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I own a set of: Duramiths, Aramith Pro, Cyclop Hyperion, and Centennials.

They are all great sets of balls. But what I choose to play with on a regular basis are the Centennials.

Lou Figueroa
I agree, I own the same 4 sets but feel the centennials are the best looking. Use them
more than the other 3 combined

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I replaced my Centennials with Aramith Tournament and I'm very happy. While you might get less wear and tear on your cloth from a quality set of balls, you will still get wear and tear.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of a stretch

your on azb, looking for a consensus?

For real, it’s futile. I went back and read a few threads on this. People are all over the map, with no clue. I think the spotting issue is some residue from polishing. I know an Aramith dealer, that owes me a small favor. I’m going to get some tournament balls and just hit em. I need to clean my table more often, and the cue ball. I don’t need a table that looks nice, just trying to delay cloth replacement.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
U got it right. Taom + quality balls are way to go. If you only use Taom then need for cleaning and polishing is 80-90% less. Difference is really so big.
Btw get Super Pro Aramith or Duramith. Only Difference IMO is that Duramith keeps cleaner longer. Premium is not quality ball set. Cyclops are good too by quality but shitty otherwise.