The APA should try these improvements

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Due to the new scoring system, SL2s are losing popularity since they are most likely to lose 3 points against higher skilled players. Teams are going to start ditching SL2s in favor of having more SL3s and SL4s, and accordingly I think the APA will suffer.

Here is what I suggest the APA to do:

Give SL2s balls-in hand. For example, playing an SL7, and SL2 would get 5 BIHs, 4 BIHs playing SL6s, 3 BIHs playing SL5s, 2 BIHs playing SL4s, and 1 BIN playing SL3s.

Increase the number of timeouts and SL2 would get.....more when playing SL7s and decreasing down as the competition goes down.

Can you imagine how this would change the game?! SL2 may even become a weapon.

What do you guys think?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Due to the new scoring system, SL2s are losing popularity since they are most likely to lose 3 points against higher skilled players. Teams are going to start ditching SL2s in favor of having more SL3s and SL4s, and accordingly I think the APA will suffer.

Give SL2s balls-in hand. For example, playing an SL7, and SL2 would get 5 BIHs, 4 BIHs playing SL6s, 3 BIHs playing SL5s, 2 BIHs playing SL4s, and 1 BIN playing SL3s.

Increase the number of timeouts and SL2 would get.....more when playing SL7s and decreasing down as the competition goes down.

What do you guys think?

I dunno, 5 BIH's is a lot of action to fade... but it def would add to the dynamics !!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I don't forsee anything happening.

First off, the new scoring system isn't even in effect everywhere yet, and won't be mandatory till either the end of this year or start of next year, not exactly sure the due date. We havent switched here yet, and our LO is rolling it out a few divisions at a time. We start with it in the summer session, for example.

As such, I don't have any first hand experience in how the new scoring plays out, but I rarely play my SL2's against anyone higher than a SL3, unless forced into it. Most of those matches go hill-hill, in my experience.

I can't see any scenario awarding anyone extra BIHs. If indeed it becomes a larger issue, perhaps adding additional timeouts per game, but again, I am not expecting any big issue, given the way matches usually go in our division.

Rio19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What do you guys think?

I see your point about SL2's however I do not think they will be getting kicked off of any teams. I think the new scoring system will make teams match up more evenly SL2 vs SL2 and so on.

I am pretty new to the APA and my league has yet to switch over to the new system. The down fall to this is I see SL6's jumping on the weaker players to pad there stats(so to speak).

I understand that everyone wants to win but too often I have seen a SL3 or 2 playing a 6 or 7 or a strong 5 and getting killed in the process and the sad thing is those same SL6,7 won't jump on a strong SL4 because they would have to give up too much weight. But the SL2 get discouraged and stop playing because they are tired of losing.

Even though I have now played under the new rules I do think it will make team match up more evenly because of the possible loss of points..

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA already has rules slanted towards allowing the lower handicaps to compete. A 2 shouldn't be playing a 6 or a 7.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
handicap

2's are getting frustrated? This is still a competition, right? Everyone doesnt get a trophy.

stutz

did you call that?
Silver Member
more time outs would just slow the match down even more. We start at or around 7:30 and I usually don't leave until at least midnight.

If they can't get all the info they need within 2 time outs, then perhaps they need to work on their game

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
more time outs would just slow the match down even more. We start at or around 7:30 and I usually don't leave until at least midnight.

If they can't get all the info they need within 2 time outs, then perhaps they need to work on their game

And once again, folks miss the point of playing APA, especially for beginners.

Most folks that remain a SL 2 or 3 are there for the recreational portion of the program. They aren't likely to spend a lot of time "working on their game". League is supposed to be a fun night out for them.

That doesn't mean they should be coddled. As I mentioned above, I don't feel the system will need to be adjusted.

To keep thinking of these casual players in terms that should be applied to those who are more serious about the game is a mistake, at least in my opinion.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
leave it alone

Are you talking 8 or 9? 5 balls in hand to sometime that only needs 19??, and in 8, when would you award the balls in hand? The crutches are big enough.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And once again, folks miss the point of playing APA, especially for beginners.

Most folks that remain a SL 2 or 3 are there for the recreational portion of the program. They aren't likely to spend a lot of time "working on their game". League is supposed to be a fun night out for them.

That doesn't mean they should be coddled. As I mentioned above, I don't feel the system will need to be adjusted.

To keep thinking of these casual players in terms that should be applied to those who are more serious about the game is a mistake, at least in my opinion.

The above pretty much sums it up..I know a few 2/3 that
will never really improve,their good with it..sure once in awhile
they get frustrated because they think they should have preformed
better..but don't we all.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've seen SL2s take a BIH line up a shot and miss it pure and simple. So, I don't think this strategy will work.

What I think shold happen is that a team cannot matchup player that differ by more than 2SL levels. So if team A puts up an SL2 team B cannot put up more than an SL4; if team A puts up and SL5 team B canot put up an SL2 (SL3 minimum SL7 max).

Since both captians known the SL ratings of the other teams members at the beginning o the competition, if the team captians end up in the situation where an SL7 has to be paired with an SL2--the SL7 is given the loss (2-1). This will put pressure on the team captians durring the earlier matches to avoid disasters later in the match.

Banks

Banned

What do you guys think?

I think it's a bad idea.

A 2 can just as quickly shut out a 3 or even a 4 that isn't taking the game seriously enough(or is having a bad night). 1 game is all they need to get on the hill, too. If I play a 2 as a 7 to get an extra point, that means I won't be available to shut out their 5 or 6.. and if they have a 7 they can return the favor.

The 2 s/l difference in matching up is even worse.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Are you talking 8 or 9? 5 balls in hand to sometime that only needs 19??, and in 8, when would you award the balls in hand? The crutches are big enough.

The original post is regarding the upcoming changes to scoring for 8-ball.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
OK - 8 Ball

So when, during the game, would the bih occur? So I already have to beat them 7-2 and cant choose stripes/solids after the break. When do you hand them the ball??

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think alot of higher skilled players would just give up if they already haven't! If any player needs 5BIH to have a chance at winning then they should shoot themselves because they totally suck! Why not just give them BIH the whole game. The 23 rule IS the biggest problem and my league has lost atleast 30 teams the past year because every one is just getting tired of the BS. Yes i have been to vegas and I'm a six and I am down to one night a week and thats killing me enough....I don't think i could even watch a 2 with 5BIH play,it would be like watching a carnival show! Maybe if they allowed side bets while there playing:wink:

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
Honestly, the match ups and strategy don't change anymore than they used to. We just encourage and coach our lower number players to try their best to get at least one game. For that effort we at least get a point. The medium and higher level players still do all the heavy lifting.

We tested the system for a year, and we jump on the opportunity to even start back earlier as soon as it was announced. Love the system and the division is on fire competetively very evenly contested every week.

Black Cat :cool:

OoaaronoO

Registered
i think the new system will stop alot of dumping. And why should you not allowed to play someone over 2 skill levels higher. Thats the whole point of playing a strong player vs. a weak one. You want the high player to win. they are expected to win. thats why your low handicap players are critical to your team. When they squeak a win out against someone they shouldnt beat it is a big asset to your team.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
promoting professional pool isn't such a tough job after all.

I visited an APA event in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area tonight at Pockets Billiards.

It was interesting.....very interesting indeed..... when girls have no where else to "sign" they sometimes pick the strangest places. ;) maybe I should visit the APA events more often....promoting professional pool isn't such a tough job after all. :groucho:
'The Game is the Teacher'
420339_10151464714124520_1908751990_n.jpg

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I visited an APA event in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area tonight at Pockets Billiards.

It was interesting.....very interesting indeed..... when girls have no where else to "sign" they sometimes pick the strangest places. ;) maybe I should visit the APA events more often....promoting professional pool isn't such a tough job after all. :groucho:
'The Game is the Teacher'
420339_10151464714124520_1908751990_n.jpg

Maybe its just early, or maybe I'm just too dense... what does that mean?