Does top spin increases or decreases the cut angle?

pinoyincalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry if this sound like a total noob question. Does top spin increases or decrease the angle when cutting a ball? Thanks

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Backspin on small angles slightly decreases the resulting angle for the OB, but I'm not sure about topspin or if I've noticed anything.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry if this sound like a total noob question. Does top spin increases or decrease the angle when cutting a ball? Thanks
If you are comparing it to a stun shot (with no top or bottom spin) with the same CB speed at OB impact, both topspin and bottom spin increase the cut angle slightly (i.e., you can hit the ball slightly fuller with top or bottom spin). For more info, see the follow/draw throw resource page.

Regards,
Dave

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Backspin on small angles slightly decreases the resulting angle for the OB, but I'm not sure about topspin or if I've noticed anything.

interesting, because my backspin (draw) increases the cut angle a few degrees......

could just be my crappy stroke however :embarrassed2:

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've never noticed topspin change the angle but side spin certainly does whether it's pure side, topside or drawside

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think that's only true if you end up with a near stun shot at the object ball as mentioned on the page Dr. Dave linked to. Both draw and follow increase the cut angle slightly. The effect is largest for about a half-ball hit (30-degree cut, and easy to demonstrate) but should still have a similar but smaller effect for fuller hits.

This subject was just discussed in the "Ask an Instructor" forum:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=460180

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top increases extreme cuts for example a ball that is almost straight in the corner but u cut it in the side. With high outside it will more than the same English without the high. I guess draw does similar but not as noticeable. Draw increases angles for banks for example a shot in one pocket one the spot is bankable even if your on the bottom rail with low outside. I use this trick on shots with flat angles mostly

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
interesting, because my backspin (draw) increases the cut angle a few degrees......

could just be my crappy stroke however :embarrassed2:
The question and answer are tricky due to the wording.

Your answer ( if you Michael are talking about backspin or draw) presumes that's there's still backspin on the cueball at contact. If you hit draw, but it's sliding at object ball contact (stun), then you have more collision-induce throw (CIT). Maybe that's what you're seeing.

If you use draw, and there's still backspin at contact with the cueball, you have to *decrease* your cut angle aim (hit fuller) compared to a stun shot. If you don't aim fuller, your cut angle will be *increased*, and you might overcut the shot. See the confusion in wording?

On new, clean equipment, we're talking fine hairs; on tougher, dirtier equipment, the hairs are more public.

Freddie <~~~ or something

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually I've heard a while back that draw can cancel out throw at many cut angles, similar to outside english. This was from a 150 ball runner and good instructor. To be fair I was like an APA 5 then...I thought about it and tried it and it seemed to be true, but now I play vastly better and honestly never thought about it since way back then. It seems to me just thinking about it that nothing except outside english would cancel throw or influence the cut angle, assuming the exact same hit on the object ball. Draw or follow still has the surface of the CB that contacts the OB moving transversely to the OB path to some degree.

Good question. I really don't know haha.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are comparing it to a stun shot (with no top or bottom spin) with the same CB speed at OB impact, both topspin and bottom spin increase the cut angle slightly (i.e., you can hit the ball slightly fuller with top or bottom spin). For more info, see the follow/draw throw resource page.

Regards,
Dave

Thanks Dave. This is exactly what I was taught. He told me that follow or draw would cut the ball more. Guess that guy was right!

KMRUNOUT

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member

Regards,
Dave

Just a thanks to Dr. Dave for all he does here...:)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Cut shot. As you add speed to the cue ball. There are two/3 types of cue ball speed. Actual forward movement speed, like a car going down the highway, and cue ball spinning speed (12 o'clock high or 6 o'clock draw), both of which increase obj ball speed during contact 9 (that's the simple answer). The more speed you add to the EXACT SAME CONTACT POINT ON THE OBJ. BALL, the thicker you must hit that ball to be cut (forcing the angle). Next, if you also add allot of cue ball spin you must also allow for that and hit the obj. ball again a little fuller. Remember, if you hitting the obj. ball fuller to make it because of your excessive speed or spin, then your walk up to the shot must also allow for the fuller hit.