Bulb for Table Light: Need Suggestion

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This style light came with my table, it had these (similar to what is in the picture) bulbs in it. I'd like to replace them with LED's but the round LED's are very expensive ($45 a pop or so).

I tried a standard 60 watt led bulb, but the light is way too focused on the table under that light and there is significant fall off.

I don't want to replace it with fluorescent if I don't have to, but don't want to spend nearly $200 for bulbs.

Any suggestions?

light.jpg

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
It looks similar to a florescent bulb in one of my lightning fixtures. What diameter is the bulb? What does the connection look like? What brand is the bulb and what numbers are on it? Does it say T-5 or T-9 on it? How many watts?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This style light came with my table, it had these (similar to what is in the picture) bulbs in it. I'd like to replace them with LED's but the round LED's are very expensive ($45 a pop or so).

I tried a standard 60 watt led bulb, but the light is way too focused on the table under that light and there is significant fall off.

I don't want to replace it with fluorescent if I don't have to, but don't want to spend nearly $200 for bulbs.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 491531
$200 for really good LED lighting for your pool table is not a lot, in my opinion.

MrSharp

Registered
I run that style light inner shades are painted white and I run 3 Phillips compact fluorescent 100w comparable bulbs in the soft white and they work great for me.

I tried the cool white but they were spotty, the soft at first looked like they were too yellow and I thought they would have to go but after they were on for a bit from new they brightened up, now like most CF bulbs only take a few seconds to get up to temp.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you add a diffuser to cover the bulb? what is the height above the playing surface?

Thanks!

Nope, no diffuser. 40" from playing surface to edge of the light shades. :thumbup:

It was hung before the table was in the garage too. If you do a little prep work on the rooms layout (where exactly the table will be), pre-hanging the light is the way to go vs trying to reach over the table, or stand on a ladder etc.

41944219192_8f106cff77_z.jpg

BTW, in the pictures I posted, the pool table light is the only light in the garage turned on.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my table light.
The bulbs I use are LED and are bigger than a normal bulb (you can see the difference).
I was looking for daylight color, but was able to find something similar - Natural white 4000K.
Price was something like 5$ a piece, can't remember exactly, but not expensive

I'm very happy with my light.

IMG_20171027_233103.jpg

dsafs.jpg

fdsfs.jpg

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.amazon.com/BRTLX-6000k-...525822127&sr=8-6&keywords=100w+led+bulb+6000k

Ive got a fixture similar to yours, and the bulbs above are what are in mine (pictured below). :thumbup:

Thanks for posting the link. Those are exactly what I was looking for and I just bought 3 ea. 4 packs from the Amazon link. You guys on this forum seem to be able to read my mind. I have pretty much the same type of light over a 9 ft. Brunswick, except mine is a 3 lamp fixture. The current lamps installed are just what I had for general household applications and really aren't anywhere near what you have posted. I probably should have purchased a 4 lamp fixture though. Oh well, I paid pretty good money for this fixture so it will have to do for now.

Edit: I think I would also benefit from raising the fixture up to the 40 inches above the surface like yours. I think mine currently sits about 32 inches above the table. Not really an issue for me since I'm only 5' 8", but I think it will help the light get to the ends of the table.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

Clarky

Registered
I use BR30 LED down lights. They have no light wasted by reflecting up into the light fixtures, only reflect downwards. Key is to get 5000K daylight and at least 1000 lumens. This will light any table more than enough. A really nice side benefit of these lights is that they reduce the shadows around the balls somewhat when compared to regular bulbs.

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use BR30 LED down lights. They have no light wasted by reflecting up into the light fixtures, only reflect downwards. Key is to get 5000K daylight and at least 1000 lumens. This will light any table more than enough. A really nice side benefit of these lights is that they reduce the shadows around the balls somewhat when compared to regular bulbs.

smart man good choice! you can get these in 75watt Daylight

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for everyone informed input, really helped me out. I decided to try out the BR30 bulbs recommended by Clarky.

85 watt, 1100 lumens, daylight (5000k), by Feit. At home depot a two pack was a bit under $15, so for $30
I got a very significant upgrade to my previous lighting and solved my problem nicely!

Here you can see the before and after:

lights.jpg

Still a small amount of falloff around the cushion areas, but really not bad at all. My light measured 37" to the bottom of the light shades, I tried raising it to 40" to
address the slight falloff I was seeing but it didn't have a noticeable effect.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
My light is even a bit lower. I wanted the bottom of the shades just a hair below eye level when standing. Plenty of light. In this picture the wall sconces and can lights in the room were dimmed all the way down.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 244