Valley Rail Cushions

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased a 35+ year-old Valley Barbox for which I bought new Valley cushions from Seyberts. The table played well for a year, but over the last 2 months I've been getting ball acceleration off some of the rails. Now, if I hit a ball medium speed at a rail (not jumping the cueball), it hops off of the rebound. I tightened down the cushions which helped some of the rails, but I'm still getting a hop on 2 of them. Any ideas on how to remedy that? Thanks.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I recently purchased a 35+ year-old Valley Barbox for which I bought new Valley cushions from Seyberts. The table played well for a year, but over the last 2 months I've been getting ball acceleration off some of the rails. Now, if I hit a ball medium speed at a rail (not jumping the cueball), it hops off of the rebound. I tightened down the cushions which helped some of the rails, but I'm still getting a hop on 2 of them. Any ideas on how to remedy that? Thanks.

They are most likely to low and there is a lil play up and down when loosened. Raise them up a lil bit. Experiment. Just my $0.02. Good Luck!

TFT

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Loosen the rails and put a few quarters under them to set how high they are, then
torque to about 60 inch pounds. That should do it.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is the table in a garage or basement by chance?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like dirty cloth at the cushion-to-ball contact point. The balls get cleaned regularly? I would use some Woolite and hot water and clean the cloth really good. Keep the balls clean with a good cleaner/polisher.
e37a6383afa7f5d6bb5400d3fe505e8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They make a rail gauge, that will set correct nose height of cushion. Looks like a foam rubber building block, for small children. Mirror image of valley cushion profile. You set the base on the slate and slide it into cushion. With the rail bolts slightly loose, you can wiggle everything around, til it’s right.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They make a rail gauge, that will set correct nose height of cushion. Looks like a foam rubber building block, for small children. Mirror image of valley cushion profile. You set the base on the slate and slide it into cushion. With the rail bolts slightly loose, you can wiggle everything around, til it’s right.

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies. You guys were spot on - I put a couple pennies under the rails and tightened them down. It plays a thousand times better. Now I don't have to wear a helmet when I need to send a ball into a rail with speed. I'll have to look into the rail gauge for future reference.

Also, it is a basement table but it gets a lot of dust. The balls were pretty dirty so I cleaned those and the cloth. I'm sure that was contributing to the problem. Like new!!

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies. You guys were spot on - I put a couple pennies under the rails and tightened them down. It plays a thousand times better. Now I don't have to wear a helmet when I need to send a ball into a rail with speed. I'll have to look into the rail gauge for future reference.

Also, it is a basement table but it gets a lot of dust. The balls were pretty dirty so I cleaned those and the cloth. I'm sure that was contributing to the problem. Like new!!

How humid/damp is it in your basement?

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know what the height is supposed to be from the slate to the nose of the cushion?

I wouldn't mind checking mine