Am I overusing English?

Scoggs82

Chris
Since my adolescent years playing on my father's table, I've always used side spin to pocket most shots. I could cut the most razor thin shots with ease with just a little outside english. I'm so use to english on every shot that pocketing a ball using dead center, draw, or follow feels a tad bit awkward, and I find myself leaning toward a harder shot that I feel is easier for me.

Now that I've gotten more serious about cue ball position, I'm having trouble with simple cut shots where english shouldn't be used, or at least I think it shouldn't, for favorable position. Is using some form of side spin on every shot a bad habit? Also, more often than not I use a full tip of side, as opposed to a half tip. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you

- Chris

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
English

Since my adolescent years playing on my father's table, I've always used side spin to pocket most shots. I could cut the most razor thin shots with ease with just a little outside english. I'm so use to english on every shot that pocketing a ball using dead center, draw, or follow feels a tad bit awkward, and I find myself leaning toward a harder shot that I feel is easier for me.

Now that I've gotten more serious about cue ball position, I'm having trouble with simple cut shots where english shouldn't be used, or at least I think it shouldn't, for favorable position. Is using some form of side spin on every shot a bad habit? Also, more often than not I use a full tip of side, as opposed to a half tip. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you

- Chris

Your problem is very common. In fact, I had a similar experience when I was learning the game.

The problem is that most players learn to pocket balls before even thinking about cue ball control. For this reason, I've been teaching both together for beginning players...after all, pocketing balls and achieving position are achieved on one shot, why would they be learned separately?

Learning center ball hits may be a challenge for you. So, a couple suggestions...

Look at the cue ball while practicing, to make sure you're striking the CB where you want to.

Don't chalk up at all when practicing (temporarily, not forever!). With time (because you're now forced not to attempt any spin), you will realize that most shots require very little or no spin, and you'll lean how to control a skidding or a rolling ball, - two of the most basic parts of cue ball control.

Have you ever tried an instructor? If not, I'd be glad to help you, if you ever get over to Gainesville.

ed2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i try not to use spin much...i try my best to get the speed down right and say on the right side of the ball