Great CSI Event

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
In several recently created threads, there has been clearly expressed outrage over CSI's decision to allow Shane to advance from the group qualifying round into the knockout stage in spite of the fact that he finished 2nd in his group. This decision was necessitated by Ralf Souquet's travel plans to China which he was unable to change.

Within these threads, myriad charges have been levied against CSI that range from favoritism towards Shane to outright bias against Taiwanese and foreign players in general. Some other posters have called this "a sad day for pool" and promised to never again purchase a CSI event.

As a person who purchased this PPV event, along with about $70 worth of additional events, while I was somewhat surprised, I was delighted that CSI made the decision they did. I think CSI ABSOLUTELY DID THE RIGHT THING.

This tournament was a multi-stage tournament with a round robin stage followed by a knockout stage. This is the tournament format followed by FIFA during the world cup, by UEFA champion's league, and by several sports during the Olympics (hockey and badminton to name just two).

Within this tournament format, there have been several instances of a qualifying player/team not being able to advance due to forfeiture or disqualification. In these instances, the overwhelming precedent has been to advance the next highest player/team from that group.

As a recent example, during the 2012 Olympic badminton championships, the first and second place teams from a group were disqualified. Instead of choosing to leave that leg of the elimination bracket empty, the federation decided to advance the 3rd and 4th teams from that group.

The situation with Ralph & SVB is no different. Ralph -the qualifying player- was unable to advance and therefore forfeited his SPOT in the knockout stage, this is entirely distinct from forfeiting his MATCH with Ko. Therefore, the CSI team followed the generally accepted practice during multi-stage tournaments and advanced the next highest ranking player from that group - SVB.

Congratulations CSI for putting on a pretty solid event. In spite of some early hiccups, you guys stepped up and made significant -on the fly- improvements throughout the week that resulted in a great event.

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You actually got it right!!

In several recently created threads, there has been clearly expressed outrage over CSI's decision to allow Shane to advance from the group qualifying round into the knockout stage in spite of the fact that he finished 2nd in his group. This decision was necessitated by Ralf Souquet's travel plans to China which he was unable to change.

Within these threads, myriad charges have been levied against CSI that range from favoritism towards Shane to outright bias against Taiwanese and foreign players in general. Some other posters have called this "a sad day for pool" and promised to never again purchase a CSI event.

As a person who purchased this PPV event, along with about $70 worth of additional events, while I was somewhat surprised, I was delighted that CSI made the decision they did. I think CSI ABSOLUTELY DID THE RIGHT THING.

This tournament was a multi-stage tournament with a round robin stage followed by a knockout stage. This is the tournament format followed by FIFA during the world cup, by UEFA champion's league, and by several sports during the Olympics (hockey and badminton to name just two).

Within this tournament format, there have been several instances of a qualifying player/team not being able to advance due to forfeiture or disqualification. In these instances, the overwhelming precedent has been to advance the next highest player/team from that group.

As a recent example, during the 2012 Olympic badminton championships, the first and second place teams from a group were disqualified. Instead of choosing to leave that leg of the elimination bracket empty, the federation decided to advance the 3rd and 4th teams from that group.

The situation with Ralph & SVB is no different. Ralph -the qualifying player- was unable to advance and therefore forfeited his SPOT in the knockout stage, this is entirely distinct from forfeiting his MATCH with Ko. Therefore, the CSI team followed the generally accepted practice during multi-stage tournaments and advanced the next highest ranking player from that group - SVB.

Congratulations CSI for putting on a pretty solid event. In spite of some early hiccups, you guys stepped up and made significant -on the fly- improvements throughout the week that resulted in a great event.

Your right! It looked a little shaky because it was SVB, but it was the right thing to do, someone had o fill the spot. I think that Pool needs a variety of formats, winner break, alternate break, round robin, bar table, 9', 8' it all works, keep the game fresh and the pool fan engaged.

Lets figure out how to get more money in the game, that's the only PROBLEM!!!!!

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Nice post, and thanks to CSI for putting on all these events. I've enjoyed the streams very much for the past week. Despite having to endure this barage of criticism, I hope that they have similar events next year!

Magog30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds like a reasonable decision to me. Good for the fans at the event and those on PPV as well. The rule should be included in the contract or rules before the event begins in the future.

liakos

Banned
I don't any of the details, but I will say this, if Ralph had to leave, then he would of known about prior to him forfeiting! That being said,,, I think it would of been wise to explain to the fans where Ralph stood as far as time! The whole mess could of been avoided by telling the fans that if Ralph happens to win his matches, he will only be able to stay for so long and then he will have to leave! At that time, we will make a decision on who will(if anybody) will cover his spot! Maybe but all the names in a hat and have someone draw the lucky player!!

Anyway, who am I??? I'm just a nobody:)

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree..., for the most part

I don't any of the details, but I will say this, if Ralph had to leave, then he would of known about prior to him forfeiting! That being said,,, I think it would of been wise to explain to the fans where Ralph stood as far as time! The whole mess could of been avoided by telling the fans that if Ralph happens to win his matches, he will only be able to stay for so long and then he will have to leave! At that time, we will make a decision on who will(if anybody) will cover his spot! Maybe but all the names in a hat and have someone draw the lucky player!!

Anyway, who am I??? I'm just a nobody:)

Ralph had been trying to change his flight for two days with no luck, it looked bad because SVB won, but it really was the right decision.

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They did the right thing taking the next person after Ralf. It is in Jerry's article that if Ralf won it would eliminate Shane due to the Tie beaker. So if Ralf is unable to compete it would naturally revert back to Shane. No need to get so complicated with a random draw of some BS. They just followed the STANDARD Rules. And no there is no need to post these as they are standard and COMMON Sense!

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I agree. Kudos to CSI for actually doing something. I can't believe itsfroze hasn't made 50 posts in your nice thread.

Thanks and have a peachy day..:)

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Kudos to CSI for actually doing something. I can't believe itsfroze hasn't made 50 posts in your nice thread.

Thanks and have a peachy day..:)

The legend in his own mind has spoken, when do we get to kiss your ring, LOL Bah ha ha

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Wow, it took you 4 minutes to post. Damn, that's an eternity for you. You apparently have it out for CSI and use this forum to levy your trollness against them.

Have a nice day

The legend in his own mind has spoken, when do we get to kiss your ring, LOL Bah ha ha

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, it took you 4 minutes to post. Damn, that's an eternity for you. You apparently have it out for CSI and use this forum to levy your trollness against them.

Have a nice day

No I "don't have it out" for CSI at all. What they did was very unfair and I'll stand up against it.
So sorry if that seems to bother you. You'll get over it, I'm sure.
It appears your okay with what they pulled if that works for you great.
Be Well ! :wink:

Last edited:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
you have taken it too far...hundreds of posts to get your point across makes you look ridiculous..

No I "don't have it out" for CSI at all. What they did was very unfair and I'll stand up against it.
So sorry if that seems to bother you. You'll get over it, I'm sure.
It appears you okay with what they pulled if that works for you great.
Be Well ! :wink:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I'm really happy with my decision to purchase the ppv. That was a shload of very top level pool I got to watch over the ladt week and a half. I would gladly do it again.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep I agree it was the right decision it just made the rail birds angry lol.

Also, itsfroze and Hungarian should get a room together... The sexual tension between them is palpable.