9 ball - 3 fouls

TuckerBilliards

Registered
Looking for clarification on this rule.

When an opponent is attempting to "get" you on 3 fouls, does he/she have to hook you 3 times consecutively i.e. play safe 3 times, in consecutive innings, or can they play offensive shots in between, i.e. hook you once, get ball in hand, sink for example the 3-4-5, hook you again, get ball in hand again, warn you then make the 6-7, and hook you a third time.

I always thought they had to be consecutive shots for both offensive and defensive player, but wanted to see what the actual rule is. Anytime I've had this situation come up it's gone consecutively on both sides, but I recently had 3 fouls called on me with my opponent running balls in between safeties....

Thanks for the help.

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't have to make three consecutive safety shots, it is the three foul rule. You foul three times in a row when you are up to shoot, (with a warning before the third) you lose.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard this interpretation of the rules a few times, it does not matter how many shots the non-fouling player makes during the 3 foul game, only that the person fouling does not make a legal hit.

Another thing I have heard someone say (to me actually hehe) is that if you hit a ball but then scratch, it does not count as a foul since you hit the ball.

The foul type does not matter. You can fully miss a hit, then jump a ball off the table, then make a hit but the cueball scratches, and those are 3 consecutive fouls = loss of game.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for clarification on this rule.

When an opponent is attempting to "get" you on 3 fouls, does he/she have to hook you 3 times consecutively i.e. play safe 3 times, in consecutive innings, or can they play offensive shots in between, i.e. hook you once, get ball in hand, sink for example the 3-4-5, hook you again, get ball in hand again, warn you then make the 6-7, and hook you a third time.

I always thought they had to be consecutive shots for both offensive and defensive player, but wanted to see what the actual rule is. Anytime I've had this situation come up it's gone consecutively on both sides, but I recently had 3 fouls called on me with my opponent running balls in between safeties....

Thanks for the help.

I re-read this post and just notices something that is wrong in your idea about the 3 foul rule. You do not warn them they are on 2 right after they commit the second foul, although you can and is a good idea so both of you remember. You need to warn them they are on 2 when they approach the table again after you play the third safe. So you get ball in hand, make a ball, play safe, get ball in hand make a few balls play safe and that is when you warn them as you leave the table when they go to shoot for what may be their third foul. If you warn them soon as they foul twice then do not warn them after you play safe and they go to the table, technically they are still on two fouls even if they miss that third shot since you violated the rule.

RubixOne

I've always wondered why nine-ball has the three fouls in a row = loss of game rule. Perhaps to make sure the game ends in a timely fashion?

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
3 foul prevents stalemates. It doesn't matter how many shots the other player shoots, if they warn the player that has fouled twice (consecutively) already, the third foul results in loss of game.
Another rule that applies is that the warning must be during the fouling player's inning. It does not count if the other player warns them after the second foul until the fouling player is back at the table. I never say anything until I play the last safety if I'm trying to foul someone out.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
3 foul prevents stalemates. It doesn't matter how many shots the other player shoots, if they warn the player that has fouled twice (consecutively) already, the third foul results in loss of game.
Another rule that applies is that the warning must be during the fouling player's inning. It does not count if the other player warns them after the second foul until the fouling player is back at the table. I never say anything until I play the last safety if I'm trying to foul someone out.
That rule needs to hit the road with jump cues.

One of those things you have to wonder what type of person thought was a good idea first.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That rule needs to hit the road with jump cues.

One of those things you have to wonder what type of person thought was a good idea first.

There are a few situations where this rule is not the best, mainly with weaker players. If you have a decent player and a bad player in a match, it is much much easier to get the weaker player on 3 fouls and make them feel like the win was stolen or "cheap". Quite a few local tournaments don't use the 3 foul rule for this reason.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are a few situations where this rule is not the best, mainly with weaker players. If you have a decent player and a bad player in a match, it is much much easier to get the weaker player on 3 fouls and make them feel like the win was stolen or "cheap". Quite a few local tournaments don't use the 3 foul rule for this reason.
That is a problem, but I think the solution is for those players to not play nine ball. They are not ready for it.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Are you kidding?
Not really. Would anyone miss the jump cue if they were banned? I mean really? Do any players with actual skill go out of their way to try to three foul anyone unless two fouls fall in their lap? It's called pocket billiards for a reason. You win by pocketing balls not by some sleazy technicality. JMO of course. Maybe I'm not ready for 9 ball as it exists some places then? Three fouling is at best chicken %^%$. I don't enjoy playing with the type of player who feels like a win by three fouling has accomplished something.

• Haha
Reactions: ACL

Zerksies

Not really. Would anyone miss the jump cue if they were banned? I mean really? Do any players with actual skill go out of their way to try to three foul anyone unless two fouls fall in their lap? It's called pocket billiards for a reason. You win by pocketing balls not by some sleazy technicality. JMO of course. Maybe I'm not ready for 9 ball as it exists some places then? Three fouling is at best chicken %^%$. I don't enjoy playing with the type of player who feels like a win by three fouling has accomplished something.
You sound like a Bar Banger. Three fouling someone is the ultimate skill. You're using strategy to win a game.

Zerksies

That is a problem, but I think the solution is for those players to not play nine ball. They are not ready for it.
Bob, I don't think guys like this really know what it is like to play pool. These guys are probably career SL4's. They don't understand the complexity and beauty that pool can have. Career bar players are what they are. They think they are king of the hill if they last three rounds on drinking night.

They are watching nine ball and seeing guys put balls in the hole. They are not thinking of strategy of how it should be played or seeing how the player moves through the table. The are bitching at the rules of nine ball. These guys have never played a game of straight pool or ever heard of one pocket. They are just Bar bangers that only know how to play local bar rules 8 ball

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Many tournaments are 9 ball though, and people do enjoy the 9 ball because it's not 8 ball that all the bangers play, so it feels more special. I've noticed if I am playing 9 ball with someone, pretty soon the tables around me start to say "let's try 9 ball", although some of the rules they use are interesting hehe. Most common being they rack the balls in numerical order.

WilliamK

Registered
Do any players with actual skill go out of their way to try to three foul anyone unless two fouls fall in their lap?
I have been watching this thread for a few days and until I read this line, I had the impression that the rule applied to "3 consecutive fouls" which implies 3 fouls made in the same visit to the table. But the line above suggests that foul tally can be accrued over several vists to the table.

Can anyone clarify?

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I have been watching this thread for a few days and until I read this line, I had the impression that the rule applied to "3 consecutive fouls" which implies 3 fouls made in the same visit to the table. But the line above suggests that foul tally can be accrued over several vists to the table.

Can anyone clarify?
How can you foul three times in the same visit to the table?

Once you foul your "visit to the table" is over and your opponent is awarded ball in hand.

The most common scenario I have seen good players actually get three fouled usually starts with a foul on the break where ball in hand can lead to the second one.

WilliamK

Registered
How can you foul three times in the same visit to the table?

Once you foul your "visit to the table" is over and your opponent is awarded ball in hand.

The most common scenario I have seen good players actually get three fouled usually starts with a foul on the break where ball in hand can lead to the second one.
Perhaps I used the wrong term for pool. In snooker the fouling the player can be sent back in, and there is no limit if he keeps fouling.

So it is not "3 consecutive fouls" but 3 fouls in the same game/rack?