Interesting Facts about the Ko Brothers and Cheng from Turning Stone XXV

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During the Big Ko vs Mike Dechaine match last night at Turning Stone XXV, I was able to have a great conversation with the Ko Brothers' translator. It was my chance to ask a few questions I have seen pop up here on the board or ones that I have been wondering myself, but also pick up some extra interesting facts along the way.

Since we are going to see these guys quite a lot in the near future, hopefully this helps get to know them a bit more (and Kevin Cheng as well since he is in this group traveling together)

Here is the list in no particular order:

1. The Ko Brothers were very jet-lagged for this tournament. They flew in at 11 PM Tuesday night, and made the trip up to start on Thursday. They are on a 13 hour time difference. When Big Ko was playing Dechaine at 9 PM, it was 10 AM in the morning for them.

2. Ko brothers chose not to fly in early because they wanted to spend the holidays with friends and family. So they did fly back after the US Open. Kevin Cheng has been here straight through from the US Open because he played in the Accu Stats Invitational. (So he is acclimated to the time difference already)

3. The Ko's are staying in New York City and will be playing/practicing out of Steinway Billiards until Derby.

4. The Ko's and Kevin Cheng will stay in the States for the Derby and play set-up money matches against other pros in the mean-time. Other than the Big Ko vs Orcollo match coming up, their camp is looking to set-up some big matches including doubles against other top pros.

The Ko's first names are Pin Yi and Ping Chung. In Chinese culture, when formally addressed, it is a formality to state the last name first, then first name last. So when announced or presented on a placard at the tournament, the names are written "Ko, Pin Yi" and "Ko, Ping-chung". Likewise, Ga-Young Kim (who is South Korean) would be displayed "Kim, Ga-Young" and Xiaoting Pan would be "Pan, Xiaoting" So choosing an American name cuts all the confusion.

Kevin Cheng is fluent in English, hence he already chose an American first name for himself in Kevin. Big Ko speaks very limited English, and Little Ko speaks absolutely nothing in terms of English. They are still deciding on an American first name for themselves. Right now the working name for little Ko is "Charlie Ko" but it hasn't been settled on. Big Ko is still thinking. So until then Big Ko and Little Ko will have to do.

7. Big Ko is 27 and Little Ko is 20, they have a younger brother who is 18, and he is exceptional in pool but doesn't want to pursue a career in it. Instead he is a professional Dart player and is taking the sport by storm.

8. Big Ko's girlfriend was here for the US open but not here for this trip because she herself is also a professional Dart player and is in competition at this time.

9. In Taiwan, all the players play each other regularly in money matches. Absolutely no spots are given, always even. They are not used to the spot giving side of American pool gambling. Even the female players play them without a spot. Ga Young Kim when she is in Taiwan regularly gambles with the Ko brothers EVEN and has taken down some wins against them (which explains her (and other taiwanese ladies) dominance on the women's side of the sport)

10. The Ko Brothers play no Chinese 8-ball whatsoever and they have turned down invitations to play in Chinese 8-ball events. They also play very limited if at all 1-pocket. Their focus is solely on the pool table in particular, rotation. But that will not stop them from competing in different disciplines at derby.

11. Big Ko will be playing on the 10-foot Big Foot challenge at Derby this year. Little Ko is the first alternate on the list for that event should there be a cancellation.

12. Big Ko wanted to play the accu stats 10 ball invitational, but the voting came down to him or Kevin Cheng, and since Kevin Cheng won the US Open, he received the invitation and Big Ko flew back home for the holidays.

13. The Ko brothers will not be at the next Turning Stone Classic in late-August, because there are a number of Asian tournaments they will be competing in at that time. However, the Taiwan camp has some big plans for October 2016, with as many as 12 players (including the #1 female player) making the trip to the USA to compete in the US Open and some big challenge matches as well.

14. The Ko Brothers and Kevin Cheng are true gentlemen and class acts. The way they were all smiles and interacting with fans was a credit to them being that they were so out of their time-zones. After both Ko's lost to Dechaine, they sat off to the side and were smiling, laughing, taking photos and playing with Jayson Shaw's baby daughter. On Friday, I saw Keving Cheng sitting in the front row next to Danny DiLiberto and talking to him for a while. I wonder what words of wisdom were passed.

On his commentary, Danny DiLiberto stated he never saw better pool played in a tournament than Kevin Cheng's play at the US Open back in October. Those are pretty powerful words coming from a man who's literally seen it all.

**** Special Thanks to Mandy from the Predator Tour-interpreter and friend to the Taiwanese players for taking the time to answer my questions and bring us all a little closer to these talented players***

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding Cheng's fluency in English. Did he tell you this? I recall him being really hesitant about giving a speech after winning the US Open. Saying in broken English that he wasn't very good at speaking English.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding Cheng's fluency in English. Did he tell you this? I recall him being really hesitant about giving a speech after winning the US Open. Saying in broken English that he wasn't very good at speaking English.

Some people dont like making public speeches in a non native language until they know for sure they wont mess up. Some people hate making speeches. Period. It is or was the number one fear of Americans for many years.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
During the Big Ko vs Mike Dechaine match last night at Turning Stone XXV, I was able to have a great conversation with the Ko Brothers' translator. It was my chance to ask a few questions I have seen pop up here on the board or ones that I have been wondering myself, but also pick up some extra interesting facts along the way.

Since we are going to see these guys quite a lot in the near future, hopefully this helps get to know them a bit more (and Kevin Cheng as well since he is in this group traveling together)

1. The Ko Brothers were very jet-lagged for this tournament. They flew in at 11 PM Tuesday night, and made the trip up to start on Thursday. They are on a 13 hour time difference. When Big Ko was playing Dechaine at 9 PM, it was 10 AM in the morning for them.

2. Ko brothers chose not to fly in early because they wanted to spend the holidays with friends and family. So they did fly back after the US Open. Kevin Cheng has been here straight through from the US Open because he played in the Accu Stats Invitational. (So he is acclimated to the time difference already)

3. The Ko's are staying in New York City and will be playing/practicing out of Steinway Billiards until Derby.

4. The Ko's and Kevin Cheng will stay in the States for the Derby and play set-up money matches against other pros in the mean-time. Other than the Big Ko vs Orcollo match coming up, their camp is looking to set-up some big matches including doubles against other top pros.

The Ko's first names are Pin Yi and Ping Chung. In Chinese culture, when formally addressed, it is a formality to state the last name first, then first name last. So when announced or presented on a placard at the tournament, the names are written "Ko, Pin Yi" and "Ko, Ping-chung". Likewise, Ga-Young Kim (who is South Korean) would be displayed "Kim, Ga-Young" and Xiaoting Pan would be "Pan, Xiaoting" So choosing an American name cuts all the confusion.

Kevin Cheng is fluent in English, hence he already chose an American first name for himself in Kevin. Big Ko speaks very limited English, and Little Ko speaks absolutely nothing in terms of English. They are still deciding on an American first name for themselves. Right now the working name for little Ko is "Charlie Ko" but it hasn't been settled on. Big Ko is still thinking. So until then Big Ko and Little Ko will have to do.

7. Big Ko is 27 and Little Ko is 20, they have a younger brother who is 18, and he is exceptional in pool but doesn't want to pursue a career in it. Instead he is a professional Dart player and is taking the sport by storm.

8. Big Ko's girlfriend was here for the US open but not here for this trip because she herself is also a professional Dart player and is in competition at this time.

9. In Taiwan, all the players play each other regularly in money matches. Absolutely no spots are given, always even. They are not used to the spot giving side of American pool gambling. Even the female players play them without a spot. Ga Young Kim when she is in Taiwan regularly gambles with the Ko brothers EVEN and has taken down some wins against them (which explains her (and other taiwanese ladies) dominance on the women's side of the sport)

10. The Ko Brothers play no Chinese 8-ball whatsoever and they have turned down invitations to play in Chinese 8-ball events. They also play very limited if at all 1-pocket. Their focus is solely on the pool table in particular, rotation. But that will not stop them from competing in different disciplines at derby.

11. Big Ko will be playing on the 10-foot Big Foot challenge at Derby this year. Little Ko is the first alternate on the list for that event should there be a cancellation.

12. Big Ko wanted to play the accu stats 10 ball invitational, but the voting came down to him or Kevin Cheng, and since Kevin Cheng won the US Open, he received the invitation and Big Ko flew back home for the holidays.

13. The Ko brothers will not be at the next Turning Stone Classic in late-August, because there are a number of Asian tournaments they will be competing in at that time. However, the Taiwan camp has some big plans for October 2016, with as many as 12 players (including the #1 female player) making the trip to the USA to compete in the US Open and some big challenge matches as well.

14. The Ko Brothers and Kevin Cheng are true gentlemen and class acts. The way they were all smiles and interacting with fans was a credit to them being that they were so out of their time-zones. After both Ko's lost to Dechaine, they sat off to the side and were smiling, laughing, taking photos and playing with Jayson Shaw's baby daughter. On Friday, I saw Keving Cheng sitting in the front row next to Danny DiLiberto and talking to him for a while. I wonder what words of wisdom were passed.

On his commentary, Danny DiLiberto stated he never saw better pool played in a tournament than Kevin Cheng's play at the US Open back in October. Those are pretty powerful words coming from a man who's literally seen it all.

And you're a class act yourself Lyn. Thank you so much for this insight.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nice post. Wish they would have gone into more of this when they had the interpreter on the stream.

They ever go into how they are organized in Taiwan? Some of the past tournaments they have had something like "team typhoon" shirt on. Never could find anything on it online. A club shirt? A city team? A stable like the Filipino's? Etc.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

Great info.

I wonder if they are playing in the Straight Pool Challenge at Derby. It's always nice to get new blood in that event.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

She was adamant on this. She said he could stay on his own here no problem, but if we talk very fast like some New Yorkers do, he may lose some words but overall he didn't need her at all. I did not get a chance to speak to Kevin but I did see him conversing with players and Danny D without the interpreter. The Ko's were with her all the time.

And you're a class act yourself Lyn. Thank you so much for this insight.

Yes, Lyn from Rochester is a class act but I'm Ryan from Syracuse. Our names are extremely similar and I get Cardiac Kid and Cardigan Kid mixed up myself. I wonder if Lyn gets a laugh from it as well, or did I trample on his turf. After all, He was here first :grin:

Nice post. Wish they would have gone into more of this when they had the interpreter on the stream.

They ever go into how they are organized in Taiwan? Some of the past tournaments they have had something like "team typhoon" shirt on. Never could find anything on it online. A club shirt? A city team? A stable like the Filipino's? Etc.

This is a great follow-up, I wish I would have thought of it when talking to her. Other than Asian tournaments, she didn't mention any organized league for the Taiwanese players. However, when they match-up she said they are all close and they just pick-up the phone and challenge each other.

She did mention that the Ko brothers parents own a pool hall there and the boys all grew up there playing from the time they could walk. I forgot about that part in the original post.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yeah, these guys are a credit to the game. They just play, and they do it well.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the post!

I would love to see some of the top americans match up with these guys.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Awesome post. Thanks!!

KMRUNOUT

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back at Turning Stone for the finals, and I got to be a fly on the wall as Some of the players were holding a clinic off to the side.

Jayson and Hunter were showing Kevin, and the Ko's the intricacies of the rack, and the accu-rack template. It was great watching the learning process and the smiles as they were figuring out the tricks of the trade.

These are the moments that make this sport so cool. Watching international players from different countries communicate through pool.

MississaugaFats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great idea n follow through on the idea.
Very informative post Lyn.
I loved the info in point#9.
Even play... Music to my ears :)
Again, great post!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great info.

I wonder if they are playing in the Straight Pool Challenge at Derby. It's always nice to get new blood in that event.

I just spoke with Mandy who works with Tony Robles on the Predator Tour, she is also the interpreter and friend to Kevin and the Ko Brothers.

She said they will be playing all disciplines at Derby including the straight pool challenge. Very exciting and very cool.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For the answer to this question, Mandy brought over Kevin Cheng and we all had a detailed conversation about all things pool. Kevin's English is just fine and he didn't need interpretation at all.

As far as organized play in Taiwan, there isn't anything like a league or official tour as we have here. Over there, there is a tournament once a week at various pool halls-it changes venues every week. But nothing formal with a website and results.

Kevin is on his way to go snow boarding because he has never really seen snow before. (It just so happens they are in upstate New York when we've had the warmest winter in a while so no snow right now, but what little we did get last week, the Ko brothers were afraid of it and don't want to see anymore :grin-square:)

So Kevin is taking a break, while Big Ko is going to play Dennis later this week. Then both Ko's will be playing in the next predator tour stop (which I believe is the season opener) next week.

They are on 90 day sport visas so after Derby they will go back home.

Kevin elaborated on if they will be back for the August Turning Stone, there is still a chance, depending on when their point events are held over in Asia. But for sure, October they will be back to play the Gotham city billiards classic, the Steinway Classic and the U.S.Open.

He also said they will be back at Turning Stone for sure next January because they had a great time here.