8 ball rule question

beachbum949

Registered
In a bar last night, I wanted to hit my object ball (stripe) into the pocket by hitting it off of the 8 ball. Cue ball would strike the object ball first, then contact the 8 ball before going into the called pocket.

My opponent argued I could not call that shot because the 8 ball is neutral. I argued that, since I was not going to hit the 8 ball first, the neutral issue was not applicable and it would be a legal shot.

Am I right, or wrong? And do bar rules differ from APA on this?

Last edited:

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a bar last night, I wanted to hit my object ball (stripe) into the pocket by hitting it off of the 8 ball. Cue ball would strike the object ball first, then contact the 8 ball before going into the called pocket.

My opponent argued I could not call that shot because the 8 ball is neutral. I argued that, since I was not going to hit the 8 ball first, the neutral issue was not applicable and it would be a legal shot.

Perfectly legal.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
who's rules are you playing by?????

In all APA, BCA..... and so on ....it's legal

You can make house rules anything you want........ but you need to post them on the wall

Kim

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it's call shot, meaning ball and pocket, anything else don't matter. Your opponent needs a rule book and an understanding that all the rules work for both players.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OTHER answer is do not play 8 ball. No matter where you go there will be local rules that differ from everywhere else. I pretty much gave up that game up in 1973.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
The OTHER answer is do not play 8 ball. No matter where you go there will be local rules that differ from everywhere else. I pretty much gave up that game up in 1973.

The above in blue... especially if you're in a strange bar.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it's call shot, meaning ball and pocket, anything else don't matter. Your opponent needs a rule book and an understanding that all the rules work for both players.

Be careful because in some places call shot and call pocket are two different things. In call pocket it doesn't matter how the ball gets to the hole as long it was done with a legal hit on your object ball.
Call shot to some it means that you need to declare kisses and banks. I've seen arguments on this issue.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be careful because in some places call shot and call pocket are two different things. In call pocket it doesn't matter how the ball gets to the hole as long it was done with a legal hit on your object ball.
Call shot to some it means that you need to declare kisses and banks. I've seen arguments on this issue.

The rule books don't distinguish where the game should be played and states that the ball and pocket are all that need be called. I've seen the arguments as well, which, like others have said, is the reason you don't play pool in bars.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're absolutely correct. The only thing you cannot do is strike the 8-ball first in a combination, kiss or carom. Your opponent is a bonehead, and you should print out the responses in this thread and show them to him.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In bars , go with the flow. Lose rather than argue. It's a lot cheaper than hospital bills. I've been there.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I depends what the house are in bars and they vary from bar to bar. The important thing the keep in mind is if you're not playing League at what ever place you,re at the (House Rules) will trump all other game rules unless those certain rules you would like to play with are Agreed on before hand.

I had this issue in many bars across Cities and States and around the world.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

True. If I remember right, the rules for Straight Pool describe a "call shot" game meaning they are the same. That's the way I've always played and won't play any other way.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Your opponent truly was a moron. If he said the 8 was neutral that means you can use it in a combo as the first ball you hit. All the rules I have ever seen you can carom, combo, or anything of that matter as long as you hit a ball of your group first.

PoppaSaun

Banned
Your opponent truly was a moron. If he said the 8 was neutral that means you can use it in a combo as the first ball you hit. All the rules I have ever seen you can carom, combo, or anything of that matter as long as you hit a ball of your group first.

No, the rules say you must hit one of your own balls first. It doesn't say that you may hit a neutral ball first.

It's bar pool. Play the rules of the place and of the people there. I spent many nights playing different rules depending on what my opponents wanted to play...and I was the regular at the place...and it had house rules posted. Won a lot of drinks and cash, didn't ever have a problem over a game.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
No, the rules say you must hit one of your own balls first. It doesn't say that you may hit a neutral ball first.

It's bar pool. Play the rules of the place and of the people there. I spent many nights playing different rules depending on what my opponents wanted to play...and I was the regular at the place...and it had house rules posted. Won a lot of drinks and cash, didn't ever have a problem over a game.

Neutral means you are allowed to hit that ball first. ACS rules say "the 8 ball is neutral on an open table" IE: the 8 may be hit first in a combination. I am not the one who determined the rules of the game in the OPs thread, the OP said his opponent told him he could not use they 8 in a carom because it was neutral. #1 players are allowed to use the 8 in a carom as long as they hit a legal ball first. #2 Neutral means that anybody may use the ball without penalty. Even if their particular bar rules say that you can not use the 8 in a carom he still called the 8 neutral. The 8 can not be neutral and an illegal (or foul) ball both at the same time. Please understand the reply that you are about to comment on and correct a person in before you reply.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That would be a legal shot in all leagues. BCAPL, VNEA, APA and ACS. I probably missed a couple other ones.

Bar rules: ah that's a different horse. They can be almost anything that the local players dream up.....good luck