Cyclop, Super Aramith, or Centennial Balls?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welp, I was surprised by my wife with a set of Tournaments late last week, not long after I'd sold my Super Aramith Pros.

Gotta say this set is stunning. I thought the Centennials looked better, but I'm not so sure now. They play great, and the cue ball seems to be the same weight and feel as the object balls. My kids and I have, so far, preferred playing with it to the measles ball I already had.

Can't recommend this set highly enough.

The Aramith Tournaments are indeed a stunning set of balls. Extremely accurate weights and finish far superior to anything Aramith has put out to date.

Here's the Tournament cue ball (which you can order replacements for by the way which is probably not a bad idea) so everyone can see what you are talking about :)

Thank you so much for sharing your new addition. Play well!

K

10fcc92071e81a56318bb9711ffc3045.jpg

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
The Aramith Tournaments are indeed a stunning set of balls. Extremely accurate weights and finish far superior to anything Aramith has put out to date.

Here's the Tournament cue ball (which you can order replacements for by the way which is probably not a bad idea) so everyone can see what you are talking about :)

Thank you so much for sharing your new addition. Play well!

K

<snip>

Thanks! I'd seen an Amazon review (and perhaps a comment on this thread...not going to go hunting for it)...that mentioned the black logo cue ball felt different than the other balls. I haven't weighed my set, but it feels fine to me.

Timmwon

I recently purchased centennial balls and not happy with the chips all over them . Thought these were the best I was wrong. Went to Brunswick about new balls chipping and they didn’t want to know anything, told me to go where I purchased them. Well they didn’t make them so I have expensive balls that are chipped up after couple weeks.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased centennial balls and not happy with the chips all over them . Thought these were the best I was wrong. Went to Brunswick about new balls chipping and they didn’t want to know anything, told me to go where I purchased them. Well they didn’t make them so I have expensive balls that are chipped up after couple weeks.

There are a couple of possibilities here.

One is that you ended up with a set of counterfeit balls. The other is that the table you're playing on has nail heads sticking out of the pocket inserts and are chipping the balls. One thing that is not a possibility is genuine Centennials chipping for no good reason.

Lou Figueroa

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a couple of possibilities here.

One is that you ended up with a set of counterfeit balls. The other is that the table you're playing on has nail heads sticking out of the pocket inserts and are chipping the balls. One thing that is not a possibility is genuine Centennials chipping for no good reason.

Lou Figueroa
Totally agree. Just playing with Centennials will NOT cause them to chip. Either bogus balls or table defect. Been in a bunch of rooms for 40 yrs and have never seen what he describes.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have used Cent's for the last 25 years... nary a chip. You have an issue with your table or fake Cent's.....

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aside from all the reasons to go with one type/set of balls over another, play with sets you like to look at. They must be eye appealing.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is also my experience.

For me, it's hard to even believe or accept with any credibility when I read a "review" like this about Cyclop balls......because I have literally played hundreds upon hundreds of hours with numerous personally owned and friends' Cyclop ball sets without one single roll off or wiggle at any speed with any spin on any table from 7's to a 10-footer. Ever. I have both ball sets. I have 7 different Cyclop cue balls. The ball weights and diameter tolerances are nothing short of spectacular. Yes, I measure and weigh every ball I own with high end calibrated equipment. Curiosity and passion you could say. I have even reviewed various cue balls in slow motion video and never have seen a roll-off, no matter which logo Cyclop ball is being watched (the diamond or the eye) - at any angle or axis it is rolling about when it was filmed.

IF any ball - and I mean any ball - ever rolls off, it can be attributed to one of many things (yes, including an occasional and extremely rare or poor quality ball that has some unseen internal flaw or density or roundness issue) including minuscule debris on the cloth - or the cloth has an imperceptible thread tighter in one weave than the other - or chalk - or chocolate that fell off my friend Tony's face once during a match. Anything. Even the coveted Centennial cue balls roll off when slow-going over a super-small pice of chalk dust. It's not the ball.

Same with colorful ball sets picked out by some parrot. Or pirate perhaps? Does everyone realize there are indeed NUMEROUS ball sets produced by Cyclop - and the two most widely seen are the "standard" colors and the "television" colors we use here in the USA in 2.25"? The "standards" have colors everyone on this pool playing planet can instantly recognize. Nothing funny about the standards. I challenge anyone to take a look at the Cyclop standard color balls next to Aramith Premiums or even Super Aramith Pro balls and tell me what you see. Not from a set at one pal's house to another pal's set at his house across town on different days --- right next to each other. Same time. Same place. Same everything. Then get out your handy stimpmeter and roll those babies next to each other on the baize and have another look-see. Take notes. Try it again if you can't believe the beauty in motion you just witnessed. On a perfectly clean and perfectly set up table.

And that's just my parrot's $.02

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two sets of Super Aramith balls and they have been great. They get dirty quickly and scuff fairly easily. I recently bought a set of the Cyclops skittles balls and I must say they are fantastic. They do not get as dirty as fast or scuff quickly. I am 100% sold on the Cyclops.